Backhanded Compliment?

Options
Bellini500
Bellini500 Posts: 60 Member
Hi, just wanted to share this.

One of my colleague said loudly to me today (in front of others) "Hey, you've lost weight!". "Thanks", I said. "I've just lost my first stone". "Yes" he replied, equally as loudly. "You've lost one of your chins".

Thats good, except I hadnt realised I had multiple chins! Oh well, I have one less now, so here's looking foward to only having one chin.

Thanks to my MFP buddies who keep me motivated.

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Way to lose a chin. Keep up the good work.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I guess that's a NSV, isn't it? Even if it is a little.... "awkward" .... lol :huh:
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    UGH sorry he was so rude to you! Don't stop trying and working hard. You're doing an excellent job! :)
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That is rude. What gets into people to say stuff like this? Congratulations on your success and to heck with all the naysayers.
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    Uh, thanks pal. People can be so rude. Apparantly he hasn't lost any of his charm and winning personality! I cringed when I read that. Obviously he's insecure so he's going to try to knock those around him down a few pegs.

Keep up the good work! The best way to deal with people like that is keep your head up high and carry on!
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That wasn't a very nice way of congratulating you on your success. Sorry that he was not polished in his approach. But congrats on your success so far! You should be proud of yourself!
  • M1ssBehave
    M1ssBehave Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ouch, but you are on your way. Plus you said this was a man. You know they just don't get how touchy the subject can be. You look good. I'm sure you feel better. Go get a new peice of clothing and smile. You deserve it.
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    yes you have lost a chin but gained self control and will power. btw you look great!!!! People like that make you angry but dont let him get you down. Great job on your achievements:)
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess someone could say "Keep Your other Chin Up". Sorry you have uncouth co-workers, but I'm sure he probably just as foot-in-mouth disease.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    like i always say, you can loose weight, but people like that will always be idiots! ha ha ha ha ha

:flowerforyou:
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    Aww I'm sure he just didn't think before he said anything.....but at least people are noticing your change!

Congratulations on your stone loss :smile:
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    You should have kicked him in his stones..... and then said, I've gained a ton of flexibility too.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i had someone at work make a similar comment. I have this plastic floor mat under my chair and it started cracking. One of the controllers in our office came by my desk and said 'what are you doing to your mat? Are you some kind of heavy weight? " That comment hurt, but it did motivate me to lose 30lbs. I have a few more to reach my goal, but the truth does hurt and i think it makes you stronger
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You should have kicked him in his stones..... and then said, I've gained a ton of flexibility too.

LOL that's a good one!
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    WOW... GOOD JOB THOUGH>
  • Rickh123456
    Rickh123456 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You handled the co-worker better than I could have. I would probably have yelled back that he must have lost his sense of humor if he thought his last comment was funny.
  • daverno
    daverno Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Aaah... Leave the poor guy alone. He's obviously trying out his chat-up lines. The poor guy has been practising in front of a mirror for years, and still lives at home with his mom!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You have made such terrific progress!
    This is exactly the kind of thing my boss is likely to blurt out! Some people never learned how to give a polite compliment. They see the change and even respect it, but just can't get out the proper words.
    Happily your MFP family really Know how to give support. :flowerforyou:
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I guess it just didn't come out the way he wanted it too, putting mouth into gear before brain - I'm a classic at that :smile:

Great news that people are noticing and must have been a feel good moment for you :smile:

Well done, the hard work is paying off :flowerforyou:
  • dlconcidine
    Options
    What a jerk. I totally agree with an earlier poster, people like that are so insecure they have to try to bring people down to their level.

You are doing great and don't worry about him and his foot and mouth disease. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!