Long Commutes and Weight Loss

Options
What I am about to say may all sound like excuses, but I really need to get serious again. A year or so ago I was doing so good, but now that I am back to working in an office, my weight has crept up. So here is my story. I work in an office building 55 miles from where I live. It takes me a little over an hour with no traffic to get to work. That is rare, so reality is about an hour and a half to 2 hours each way. I have a very sedentary job as a developer. Everyday before I get dressed for work, I walk my dogs for about 20 minutes which amounts to .8 miles. On the weekends I walk my dogs for 2 miles. I usually get home around 7pm. I try to get to bed by 11pm and get up the next day at between 5 and 6AM. My challenge is eating right and getting enough sleep. I have sleep apnea, so I have a CPAP machine. My goal is to lose at least 25% of my current weight and possibly get off the CPAP machine.

In the morning I was either grabbing anything for breakfast or eating at the company cafeteria. That had to stop because it was getting expensive and everything I ate unhealthy. So now I make this thing with wasa crackers, peanut butter, wheat germ and honey. It takes good and has lots of fiber. I also have a banana. For lunch I have been bringing a turkey breast sandwich on oatmeal bread, mayonnaise and provolone cheese and fruit. When I get home dinner is an issue because I have to cook and then eat around 8:30. I stay up until around 11 so that I am not going to sleep on a full stomach. It is so frustrating because I feel like I am making no progress.

I am taking a diuretic because of high blood pressure. I have had acid reflux so I have a pill I take every morning and the last time I had a physical, my colesterol was high. So I would like all of this to get corrected. I have food in my freezer like chicken leg quarters, hamburger, shrimp and flounder I need to use and then purchase much healthier stuff.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I know I need to start documenting everything I eat again. I used to be god about it and now I struggle to remember to do it. Look forward to hearing from you.

Karen

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you don’t want to go to bed on a full stomach, like a reflux issue? I really think you’d benefit from meal prepping or crock pot cooking, so you don’t have to worry about cooking each night after a commute like that. Is your office you work at in a location where you could get some movement in on your lunch break? My commute is only half that, but my husband’s is similar to yours, and he’d either starve to death or eat nothing but junk if our meals were not prepped ahead of time. We spend a few hours every weekend prepping all of our food for the week – breakfasts, lunches and dinners, and even snack foods. That way, everything is just grab and go. I also think you REALLY need to start tracking food. Weigh and measure your portions when you meal-prep, and track every meal.
  • KMychelle
    KMychelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had to sort of laugh, my boyfriend, who is long distance, uses his crockpot all the time and repeatedly tells me to do the same. I do have a crockpot, so I just have to get in the habit of using it. My Sundays are used to get ready for the week. I iron all the clothes I plan to wear for the week, get all the dog food ready because they are on a raw diet, So I guess now I need to add meal prep to the routine. I am going to give it a try. Yes, I do agree, I HAVE to start tracking my food again. The reason I don't go to bed on a full stomach is because I keep reading or hearing that it's not good. I have not had any problems with reflux in several months. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    A couple of things -

1) Are you getting enough sleep? 6-7 hours/night for someone with sleep apnea sounds low. This can impede weight loss.
    2) Like @chunky_pinup mentioned, prepping meals for the week works great. I do that. I don't know about the crock pot thing tho... I've never had a good crockpot meal! I usually just fix salads for my lunches and grill meat for the week. Then I just fix sides as needed.
    3) working as a developer, what are the chances that your work would let you telecommute some days or even partial days?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with going to bed right after eating if it doesn't cause you physical problems. Getting enough sleep is definitely a component of weight loss so try to get at least another hour per night if you can.

Food logging is going to be the most important thing you can do. If you aren't tracking what you're eating it's very hard to make sure you're eating less calories than you burn. Set up MFP with your information, pick a loss per week goal and MFP will give you your goal calories for each day. Come as close to the calories (don't worry about the carbs, fat or protein for now) as you can each day.

Exercise is not needed for weight loss. It is very good for your overall health, of course, but don't let not being able to do much deter you from losing weight. As they say, weight loss is made in the kitchen, not the gym. I also work an office job and use some of my lunch break to walk almost every day. There are other little things you can do, too. Park at the back of the lot. When using the restroom, use the one farthest away from your desk. Every little bit of extra movement you can add to your day adds up.

There are some great meals you can make in the crockpot as a part of food prepping, too. Cook chicken breasts with a jar of salsa. Shred the chicken when it's cooked and you can use that all week long in salads or as part of a recipe. Chili and stew are super easy in the crockpot. Make a double or triple batch and portion it out into containers you can freeze or refrigerate for later. Even oven baked meals like meatloaf can be made in advance and then enjoyed all week.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Your lifestyle/job sounds very similar to how mine used to be...and the reason I'm here on MFP! I put on quite a bit of weight when all I did was eat on the go, sit in my car or at my desk all day and had no time to exercise. It's so hard when you have a sedentary job with long hours when you're trying to lose weight/ keep healthy. I just find 'shortcuts' when cooking that are also healthy. Just silly things like buying a mandolin and food processor sped up my prep times for meals. I can whip up a soup in less than 10 minutes. And yes when I do have time to cook, I'll make extra so I can have it later in the week too. My favourite meal is steak and veg which only takes 10 minutes too. I'd also look at ways to be more active too. Maybe look into short HIIT workouts you can do at home before bed. My current one is only 20 minutes. Maybe parking your car further away so you can walk a bit more, take the stairs when you can, walk to the shops at the weekend instead of taking the car etc. Small changes make all the difference. X
  • KMychelle
    KMychelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I believe part of the reason I don't use the crockpot as much as I could is because I agree with GauchoMark, I haven't found a lot of foods that taste good from a crockpot. I like well-seasoned food, no bland food. I will keep trying to find something I like. Regarding the telework, my company supports it, my doctor has suggested it but my manager has put his foot down and said no to teleworking on a regular basis. He had an employee that abused it and since then has prevented anyone else from teleworking. Bad management on his part. You don't punish an entire team for the actions of another. So now that he has a very sick spouse, they have moved to a new location that suits her condition and he teleworks. Go figure. Anyway, I am hoping the teleworking thing will change.

I used to get up and drive to a bus stop that would take me to the Metro to get to work. That enabled me to walk more because I had to walk a distance to my building. I just need to get up between 4 and 4:30AM to get to a bus that gets me to the Metro to get to work at a decent time.

The one thing I will definitely do is start tracking my food intake and try to fix my meals for the week on Saturday and Sunday. I am hoping that will help. On top of that, I need to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    KMychelle wrote: »

The one thing I will definitely do is start tracking my food intake and try to fix my meals for the week on Saturday and Sunday. I am hoping that will help. On top of that, I need to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.

I definitely think that having a dinner already prepped will help you get more sleep...that way you can eat earlier because you don't have to cook, cleanup is faster, etc.

As far as crockpot, I use it to make a large pot of Cuban black beans that I incorporate into my lunch salads and some dinners. The husband uses it to cook things like a pot roast or pork loin - things he could also do in the oven, but instead uses the crock pot so it can be set before work and ready to eat as soon as he gets home, and the amount he makes will then be portioned for his meals in addition to what was pre-prepped. I'm not a fan of crock pot "meals"...I never really got the hang of those, but it's great to use to cook large portions of things, and even better that you don't really spend a lot of time doing it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I had a sedentary job and a long commute. Sometimes I walked at lunchtime. Sometimes I did yoga and swam on the weekends. Mostly I created a calorie deficit via what I ate rather than via exercise. I couldn't snack at work so that helped quite a bit. I ate a lot of low calorie dinners like fish and non-starchy veggies at the time.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If you don't like bland crock pot food, add more spices. It's a simple low calorie fix.

Can you walk at lunch? I take the long way round to the ladies' room when I go & park in the far reaches of the parking lot to sneak in some more movement. Do a deep knee bend or two when no one is looking. Learn about exercises you can do at your desk. Do some before you get in the car.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    . The reason I don't go to bed on a full stomach is because I keep reading or hearing that it's not good. I have not had any problems with reflux in several months. Thanks for the suggestions.

Please read this: Meal timing does not matter. Say it out loud. Now you've heard it. If your calories in are less than your calories out, you will lose weight over time. That really is all there is to it. Accurately weighing and diligently recording all your eats is the secret formula to knowing with certainty what your 'calories in' are.
    I have nothing to sell you. I also have to work for a living, I also have limited time at home. I lose weight with weighing and recording, with a modest degree of planning also. My today is planned, my tomorrow is not quite planned yet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Here's a really good crockpot cookbook: The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World

However! Many of these recipes do require quite a bit of prep - they want you to grind spices, brown meat, things like that. They also aren't 10 hour recipes, so wouldn't work for during the workday.

I guess I'm not so much offering it as a solution for week day dinners, but a rebuttal to the "crockpot food is bland" position. You could try these recipes on the weekend. Then you'd have something for dinner during the week.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have about half your commute, but I also spend a lot of time doing site visits and driving so I sympathise. As my work is nowhere near a shop, I have no choice but to bring my own food which is my saving grace.

Breakfast - I do overnight oats with some yogurt and fruits. I eat this mid-morning or at a service station if I'm on a site visit.

Lunch. A protein and sale mix at the moment, or I found some great raw vegetable salad/grains mixed by ottolenghi. I make these on the weekend and put in a bit tub.

Yes to the crockpot idea, however, most modern machines cook too hot for all-day cooking. I set mine to make something when I get home from work, then turn it off before bed. Whatever I've made will usually form part of my lunch the next day, reheated in the microwave.

Dinner - go light. Have your main meal at lunchtime, and something light in the evening, that way you don't feel your going to bed with a heavy stomach. It takes a while to get used to but gives me more evening time and makes me feel better.

Prep prep prep and think ahead. Plan your meals for a few days, and go quick and easy on your suppers. Once you get used to planning it's doable.

One thing I would say is make time for mealtimes. Don't just eat mindlessly on the commute, and use your lunch time to enjoy your food and maybe get in some exercise. I run forty minutes in the mornings before work, but don't sacrifice sleep to exercise. Use your weekends to do outdoor/active type things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think all the food you have in the house can be eaten on a diet. Just weigh it out and eat an appropriate portion. When I had a heavy commute like you do I did all my meal prep on the weekend, had my lunch ready to go in the morning, and my dinner ready when I got home. Since the workday and commute were so long, I packed my breakfast too and had that when I got in to the office. I had a snack to eat on the commute home so I would not attack the pantry like a ravenous beast when I got home.

Crock pot is good because of the prep potential. Hot and spicy could be a black bean chilli, Garam Masala, or a curry. Lots of potential really.

I agree many of your medical conditions can go in to remission with weight loss. I am betting even with twenty pounds lost you will feel a lot better. I am off all medications but I continue with the CPAP as I am much better on it.

Best of success to you.
  • mwurtzberger
    mwurtzberger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2014/08/30-easy-crockpot-recipes.html

Hopefully something good here for inspiration... Good luck!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    . The reason I don't go to bed on a full stomach is because I keep reading or hearing that it's not good. I have not had any problems with reflux in several months. Thanks for the suggestions.

Please read this: Meal timing does not matter. Say it out loud. Now you've heard it. If your calories in are less than your calories out, you will lose weight over time. That really is all there is to it. Accurately weighing and diligently recording all your eats is the secret formula to knowing with certainty what your 'calories in' are.
    I have nothing to sell you. I also have to work for a living, I also have limited time at home. I lose weight with weighing and recording, with a modest degree of planning also. My today is planned, my tomorrow is not quite planned yet.

Yes, meal timing is simply a preference. I eat about 1/2 of my daily calories within about 1-2 hours of going to bed. If you sleep OK after eating and don't have any digestion issues, it will not affect weight loss.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You get home at 7 and have to work on the meal so you don't eat until 830. Make the meal simpler so you can eat and get in some exercise before bed. Even on your current schedule you have 2 hours between finishing eating and bed. Why can't you exercise some then?
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    I've learned that every little bit helps. I quit coffee creamer, I added a standing desk at work because standing burns a few more calories than sitting - granted not much but it's still calories burned and I am sick of sitting all day as an office worker, be as consistent as possible with calories, sleep, exercise and water. Every time I let these things slide, particularly the calories I pay for it the next two days. I'm learning to listen to my body. Everyone has ideas about what works for them. For me it's 40 minutes of pure cardio. I can feel my metabolism rev up when I'm consistent about 40 minutes of cardio. I know everyone can reference a study or two about the length of exercise you truly need but I prefer to listen to my body, know what it needs, and adhere to that. I agree with JeromeBarry1 above - it's all about calories in/out and meal time doesn't matter. That's why I prefer to push my first meal of the day to lunch. I generally split all my calories into two meals plus a snack if I have room. It makes my meal time and overall life so much more enjoyable to me. Why? Because I don't want to eat a silly ounce of chicken and a carrot every two hours! I can eat a meal and be done with it. Now what happens when I divide it into 3 meals? For me personally, I get soooo hungry all day it's ridiculous and almost every time I will end up going over in my calories for the day. It happened just Tuesday of this week! A lot of things out there work and will work for you - you just need to find what suits you. Good luck!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    eating late can affect sleep apnea, especially in combination with reflux. but if it doesn't cause you any problems then no worries.

you mentioned that your dogs are on a raw food diet and you take time on the weekends to prep their meals, i think you've got to give yourself the same kind of love and attention. Meal prep and batch cooking are great tools when you can do it. and I agree that cooking after work can be a chore so often i'll prep as soon as i get home by washing and chopping the veggies, making any marinades or weighing out my ingredients (usually about 20-30 minutes) then i'll walk the dog and/or workout, then cook. it breaks it up a bit so if feels like less of a burden.

i split my workday workouts between running with the dog in the morning 2 days a week and strength training after work 2 days a week. psychologically if i only have to wake up SUPER early twice a week i find it manageable, and conversely if i'm only delaying dinner by working out in the evening twice a week that doesn't seem so bad either.

i would recommend logging for sure if you can swing it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    While working out more would be good for your fitness level, weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit.

To save time, I highly suggest at least 1-2 meals a week in a slow cooker. If you're in the US you can get a programmable one for $50-100 depending on size/features. I love mine. I can start it in the morning - I leave the house by 6am - and set it to cook on high/low for X hours and it then automatically shifts to warm. Dinner, or at least a big part of it, is ready when I get home. Depending on the day, and whether I head straight home or have to pick up kids from somewhere, is between 6:00 (good traffic, no stops) and 8:00pm. You can make soups/stews, or cook meats like chicken breast, pork loin, beef roast, etc.

Walk at lunch if you can, or at least get up and stretch here & there. Does the body good.
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't have a long commute but live alone and don't like to cook everyday. I usually cook three or four meat recipes (depending on size) over the weekend and then divide into freezer containers. On Sunday evenings I make 5 salads in individual containers and stack in fridge. I keep a bottle of dressing in the fridge at work, but if you can't do that just put a couple tablespoons of dressing in little containers - one for each day. For dinner I grab a container out of freezer and either throw together a quick salad or steam some veggies in those microwave steam bags (takes 3 or so minutes). Then when I'm done with dinner I pack a container from freezer, a salad container and some eggs (breakfast), fruit (snacks) etc for the next day so in the morning all I have to do is grab a bag and go. If I'm packing things that can't go in fridge overnight I leave those on counter so I just have to add to bag in morning. Makes for faster evening and mornings and provides enough to rotate meals each day.