Heart rate monitors....

Options
Hi,

A few people have mentioned they have heart rate monitors and I would like to get one, are the watch ones ok or do I have to get one that goes round the chest? Also, dont really want to spend a fortune so if anyone can recommend any that would be great.

I live in UK so shops or brands that I can get or even online is cool.

Thanks xx

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    chest strap. Polar and Sportline are good.
  • tburroughs4
    Options
    I agree with Pyro, chest strap is the best and I use Polar too
  • paul1969
    paul1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would agree with Pyro, Im also based in the UK, i bought a Polar one with chest strap from Amazon, they have loads of models, I prefer polar as it seems to be the most popular. The strap is a pain but you soon get used to it, make sure you put some water on the contacts.

I also think you dont need to spend loads of money, mine was £50 ish and does more than enough, if you want any more details drop me a PM. Happy to help.

Cheers
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would Google different types. Depending on how you exercise, you may not HAVE to have the chest strap. That's what I did. I ended up getting the Mio Drive Petite. ECG monitor, highly accurate, no chest strap, & under $100.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yep!

In total agreement with the above. You really need a chest strap for it to be accurate.

I have a Polar F11 - and it's still going strong in it's 4th year of almost daily workouts, so well worth the investment! :happy:
  • Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm in the UK and there are loads on Amazon. I just got my Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT. It has a chest strap - IMO, those are the only ones that will be accurate. The strap is fine, it's not uncomfortable and I often forget that I am wearing it. I got mine as a gift but it was definitely under £100. You could always check out ebay too. I now don't know how I ever worked out without my HRM so I think you should go for one!!!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The chest straps are the most accurate. I wouldn't go with anything but the chest strap because I bought the monitor to give me accurate feedback. There's no sense in messing with anything that won't be as accurate. Besides, I got used to mine quite quickly and really don't notice it when I'm exercising. I have a polar one and I like it a lot.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT60 and love it. It comes with the chest strap and was about $150. LOVE IT! I had a Sportline Duo and HATED IT! It wouldn't work right. Everyone I know that has a Polar of any kind loves it.
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will have a look on amazon and ebay now. Are the chest ones uncomfortable?

I was hoping everyone would say a watch one haha! x
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Read this.. It will explain why you need a chest strap and what features you need to look for:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Watch ones are not accurate at all because you only place your fingers on the sensors at certain times verses having your heart rate continually fed to the watch via the strap.. which sounds more accurate to you?

The chest straps are not uncomfortable at all. I have one and I hardly notice mine... its a cloth strap that you can adjust to fit you. It sits right under your bra.
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will have a read of it and get one ordered at the weekend : )
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When you purchase the Polar FT7 or FT11 do you buy the chest strap separately? Silly question probably but when i go to amazon I am not seeing anything that comes WITH a chest strap???
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When you purchase the Polar FT7 or FT11 do you buy the chest strap separately? Silly question probably but when i go to amazon I am not seeing anything that comes WITH a chest strap???

It comes with a strap. The only thing separate for the FT7 is the flow link adapter that lets you upload your data to the computer.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Polar. Must have chest strap and calculate V02max in order to have accurate calorie count.

I have a polar ft60! Fantastic device
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and have a Polar FT7 from Amazon and it's fantastic. Came with strap. It's really comfy and accurate.