Protein bars!

Options
So my super sweet husband has been listening to my ranting lately. Last night I discovered the breakdown of nutrients in my diary and saw that I was not reaching my proton goal. This morning, he comes home from the store and hand me quest protein bars.

Are these as good for me as they claim to be or is it all a bunch of hype?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are any better than other protein bars out there. I do like that they have very little sugar, though. They are also pretty pricey if you're planning on eating them on a regular basis.
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    He said they were like $3 a bar. One of his coworkers eats them. I don't see how. Are they all really chewy like these are? It has taken me almost 20 minutes to eat it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I personally prefer food, but you will have to look at whether the item you are eating, as well as your diet as a whole, match your needs and preferences.

ETA: I peeked at your diary :p Aren't you hungry? As in, starving?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    He gets ten spousal points for listening - and responding. It's at least worth a thank you (which I am sure you have done). It's protein. It works.
  • Alishia6606
    Options
    ETA: I peeked at your diary :p Aren't you hungry? As in, starving?

I'm not really. Most days I have to remind myself to eat. Last night was the first time in a long time I felt hungry.

Are you positive your proton goal is correct?

Sorry. New phone. :smile: I meant protein but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a proton goal in just not finding. :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So my super sweet husband has been listening to my ranting lately. Last night I discovered the breakdown of nutrients in my diary and saw that I was not reaching my proton goal. This morning, he comes home from the store and hand me quest protein bars.

They're just basically a protein supplement so I'm not sure what you're referring to in terms of them being a bunch of hype...they aren't going to do anything special beyond giving you more protein.

Personally, I'm not big on protein bars and would just prefer other food sources though I sometimes supplement with whey. I also think we're living in an age of over-hyping protein in general...I don't think the RDA minimum is enough for an active individual, but I also don't think people need to be consuming the mass quantities of protein that I see regularly.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

What's more important is that it's in balance with her neutron goal.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Quest bars taste yucky to me.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Put them in the oven or in the microwave. (I have no idea for how long, because it depends on your oven/microwave. I used to do like 20 seconds in the microwave at work). It helps with the chewiness.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ditch the bars! The quest bars are better than any others I have seen just because they have far less carbs, it's not something you need, nor something you should be eating regularly. IF you need more protein, eat more meat. Chicken and beef have huge amounts and it shouldn't be hard to get as much protein as you need. Eat eggs for breakfast, lots of way to reach your goal by eating real food.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars! They're great if you want something a little sweeter to boost up your protein intake. Of course, lean meats are going to be better for you, but it's nice to have things like Quest bars as an option :smile:
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    some are better than others. my favorites are the white chocolate raspberry, pumpkin (seasonal), and oatmeal chocolate chip, but some taste pretty bad to meh (cinnamon roll, cookies n cream, etc). they have less fat than some other bars, and much less sugar than a lot of others, but if you don't like the taste/chewiness, Oh Yeah! ONE bars have really similar macros and taste way better to me. much less chewy, too
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Maybe try pre-logging the day before so you don't miss your macros?

I can't stand those bars. They're basically candy in fancy/expensive wrapping and with PROTEIN written on them. But that's just my take.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I used to have an almost 2-hr commute (each way). I used Quest bars to hold off on the dinner munchies while driving home. Not the best, not the worst, just convenient. And not messy/crumbly like others - important for driving. Many folks here have said it - food is best. But, then there's the other hand ... good luck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Put them in the oven or in the microwave. (I have no idea for how long, because it depends on your oven/microwave. I used to do like 20 seconds in the microwave at work). It helps with the chewiness.

This.

I never eat quest bars straight out the pack. Microwave them for 15 seconds, for gooey chocolate deliciousness.

Ps. I think your husband is an angel :smiley: Mine wouldn't have the first clue what foods contain protein, he'd probably come home with a loaf of bread lol
  • Alishia6606
    Options

Ps. I think your husband is an angel :smiley: Mine wouldn't have the first clue what foods contain protein, he'd probably come home with a loaf of bread lol

Thanks. :smiley: I'm pretty fond of him. He is so supportive. I was browsing Pinterest and pinned some detox waters. He saw them and ran and bought me the very expensive fresh organic mint leaves and a ton of green tea. :smiley: I don't think I could do this without him.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It's nice to have a protein boost before you go to the gym and lift. I get better results that way, and it keeps my blood sugar stable during and after the workout as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

What's more important is that it's in balance with her neutron goal.

You're forgetting the electron macro.