P90X weight gain?

Options
IndigoVA
IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
I'm nearing the end of week 3 of P90X Lean, and I've gained about 3-4 lbs. I know this is just fluid retention and muscle building, because clothes I had before I started are actually looser on me now. However, it bothers me to see the scale moving in the wrong direction. Does anyone know how long it takes for this to stabilize and have the scale start moving down again?

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    You usually start to see the loss in the latter half of the program. It's common to gain weight in the first 4-6 weeks. My advice would be to measure your waist size and leave the scale behind.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile:

I'm currently nearing the end of my first round of P90X (classic) ...I've only lost 1kg during the whole program - but like you, am much smaller in my clothes!

My partner, who has been doing it with me though has gained 1.5kg!! I really think it is due to muscle weighing more though - because again, he looks significantly fitter, stronger and smaller.

I appreciate this doesn't answer your question...but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone!! And surely that so long as you're looking better - that should be the biggest motivator anyway?

.... I have almost lost interest in my weight and just focusing on getting ripped!! :laugh:
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You usually start to see the loss in the latter half of the program. It's common to gain weight in the first 4-6 weeks. My advice would be to measure your waist size and leave the scale behind.

Ditto. I'll add that if you are more or less following the nutrition plan, you won't be able to stop the weight from coming off.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I agree, keep going as you are unless you are eating over your calorie needs.

It is scary to see the scale go up but always use your measurements as a guide instead of weight.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What he said. Ignore the scale and trust the mirror. You will loose the weight in the 2nd half of the program.
  • JoeyandChase
    Options
    I'm not doing P90X, but the 30 Day Shred, and I've gained too! I'm down to my last 10 +/- pounds to lose, and it is getting very discouraging! I look and feel tighter and leaner, so I'm trying to focus on that and then hopefully once my body recognizes that I am NOT in starvation mode, it will begin to shed all that it is holding onto! lol

I agree with everyone else to not worry about the scale (although that is VERY hard to do!) and focus, instead, on how you look and feel on a daily basis! Afterall, that is what keeps you going!

Keep up the great work!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey with the 30DS at the beginning of this year. I didn't lose a single pound, but I went down a full dress size.