Keto diet ... does it work?

Options

Replies

• e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a form of uncontrolled inflammatory arthritis (rheumatoid) and am 1+ week into this Keto plan. Macros are all good from what I've studied. 75g protein, 15 net carbs and 95g fat. Keeping at 1200 cal as well. This has varied slightly over the week since this is new to me. I am also hypothyroid. I'm trying this woe because I've stopped losing weight as of March and my weight has crept up 5lbs since. I take a variety of DMARDS as well as prednisone. I gained over July and I think it is methotrexate that started this. It made me sick to my stomach so I ate less even but it also made me feel quite blue. I have stopped for now as I can't handle a broken heart. I have not lost any weight. I measure, weigh and log faithfully but zip! What's wrong with me? I still need to lose another 30lb. It took me 2 years to lose 40lb. I'm terrified of this creep that has begun. I'm fighting like crazy. Exercise is still a dream due to pain but I get in cleaning and walking as I can. Please message me so I can know your opinion from you pros! I won't remember where this thread is. Inflammation causes brain fog too. Ugh!
    Thank you in advance!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @e9196tep in 30 days my arthritis pain dropped from a level of 7-8 to 2-3. That was two years ago and the pain only starts to climb up if I get back on sugar and grains. Your results may be very different but wishing you the best.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Eating less works, regardless of high carb, low carb, no carb. Yes, your metabolism may be lower than you'd like, but that means you don't need as much as you're eating. Your body isn't storing fat and starving.

I don't think you understand thyroid disorders. Eating specific foods does actually affect your health and weight with these disorders. Eating less does not always work. Its much more complicated than simple CICO like for healthy people.

When I switched my eating, without altering total calories, I dropped 20lbs related to inflammation and water retention.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Eating less works, regardless of high carb, low carb, no carb. Yes, your metabolism may be lower than you'd like, but that means you don't need as much as you're eating. Your body isn't storing fat and starving.

I don't think you understand thyroid disorders. Eating specific foods does actually affect your health and weight with these disorders. Eating less does not always work. Its much more complicated than simple CICO like for healthy people.

When I switched my eating, without altering total calories, I dropped 20lbs related to inflammation and water retention.

eating less carbs will cause inflammation to go down and you will lose water/glycogen, but its still about CICO. doesnt matter how you do it but even with thyroid or other orders cutting down certain foods may help but if you arent in a deficit you wont lose the weight no matter what you do or dont eat. if you eat what you burn your weight stays the same,if you eat more than you burn you gain. if you lose weight eating less carbs its because you are in a deficit. simple as that now it may be harder for those with health issues to lose weight and they may have to increase exercise or change something but still many here with thyroid and other health issues lost weight eating less.
  • e9196tep
    Options
    Ok. With macros in order and at 1200 to 1300 cal. I'm actually quite hungry. During my regular diet I typically stayed between 800 and 1000 and also tried keeping my carbs around 100g. I managed this status over a year. It seems counter intuitive to drop calories further. I try getting physical but as many of you know there is a limit due to the pain and fatigue of RA. Losing 30lbs sound like a dream at this point.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have recently found out that if you are under 50 grams of carbs, you can eat unlimited fats. Like 10000 calories a day and you won't gain weight.

:insertsarcasm:
  • s1rGr1nG0
    s1rGr1nG0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keto is working for me. I am down 17 pounds since July 8th. I am currently about 240 and my first goal is to make it to 220. After that I will be aiming for 200 even!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    s1rGr1nG0 wrote: »
    Keto is working for me. I am down 17 pounds since July 8th. I am currently about 240 and my first goal is to make it to 220. After that I will be aiming for 200 even!

Great job. Glad you found a way to get into a calorie deficit!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I have recently found out that if you are under 50 grams of carbs, you can eat unlimited fats. Like 10000 calories a day and you won't gain weight.

Lol I saw that claim, however I believe it's near impossible to do that.
  • e9196tep
    Options
    I finally got my Keto strips. I'm not in ketosis in spite of my net carbs being between 20-30 g. Maybe if I drop my protein down 5-10% more because it is my understanding that protein is 58% antiketogenic so technically that percentage will burn just like a carb. Any thoughts?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    e9196tep wrote: »
    I finally got my Keto strips. I'm not in ketosis in spite of my net carbs being between 20-30 g. Maybe if I drop my protein down 5-10% more because it is my understanding that protein is 58% antiketogenic so technically that percentage will burn just like a carb. Any thoughts?

Keto strips are not very reliable. If you are under 50g, you are in most likely in ketosis. Protein is not a problem for ketosis unless you are well over 200g per day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Maaan I would like to give that a try. But i have no confidence in "it will not make you gain weight", nor do i think i could reach 6000 calories or anywhere near it on a LCHF diet without vomiting and diarrhearing.

ETA: There was that one guy who ate 5000ish calories on LCHF and didn't gain any weight, but no one here believes it.. :huh:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Ok. With macros in order and at 1200 to 1300 cal. I'm actually quite hungry. During my regular diet I typically stayed between 800 and 1000 and also tried keeping my carbs around 100g. I managed this status over a year. It seems counter intuitive to drop calories further. I try getting physical but as many of you know there is a limit due to the pain and fatigue of RA. Losing 30lbs sound like a dream at this point.

have your vitamin D levels checked that can cause pain and fatigue too. I have RA and if I keep my vitamin D3 up to par I notice a big difference also since I started lifting weights 4 years ago I have less pain and flare ups with it and so far I dont need meds for it.
  • SCoil123
    Options

eating less carbs will cause inflammation to go down and you will lose water/glycogen, but its still about CICO. doesnt matter how you do it but even with thyroid or other orders cutting down certain foods may help but if you arent in a deficit you wont lose the weight no matter what you do or dont eat. if you eat what you burn your weight stays the same,if you eat more than you burn you gain. if you lose weight eating less carbs its because you are in a deficit. simple as that now it may be harder for those with health issues to lose weight and they may have to increase exercise or change something but still many here with thyroid and other health issues lost weight eating less.

Wow I should have you talk to my doctor since you obviously know more than they do.

The first 20lb I lost without any deficit. That's a fact. You are free to ignore it if you'd like. I'd tried many calorie deficit programs before and was never going to lose much as long as I stayed sick and continued getting sicker. And I never gave up or even counted carbs...I said I changed what I eat. Specific foods are off limits for me like wheat and soy. I eat tons of rice, corn, and other high carb foods.

Now that my health is under control I can continue to lose weight with a deficit but I still can't eat certain foods regardless.

There are many different thyroid disorders and people with the same disorder may be at different stages requiring different medications and dietary restrictions. It really isn't as simple as you try to portray it and I find your comment potentially harmful as opposed to helpful.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@e9196tep while we are all different I do expect if you could keep your blood ketone levels between 1 and 2 full time that you could lose just fine at 2000 calories a day.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

the cognitive dissonance brigade rides again.
  • e9196tep
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey: have your vitamin D levels checked that can cause pain and fatigue too. I have RA and if I keep my vitamin D3 up to par I notice a big difference also since I started lifting weights 4 years ago I have less pain and flare ups with it and so far I dont need meds fo....
    @charliebeansmomtracy I do keep my vit d monitored. It's above 30 and I take 50,000iu once, sometimes 2x per week I have not been able to do lifting or any workout like I used to. I was always a very athletic person till I became ill. I did any and everything. How things change.

@gailhawkins I'm terrified to go above 1500 cal because the 40lbs I lost over 2 years was hard won. I had Keto flu again last night and couldn't sleep. I ended up eating more salt and a tbsp of peanutbutter just to get me through. I weighed once again and yes I'm disappointed. On a good note, Im actually feeling the pain in my joints is a tad better. My rheumy said one of his patients went vegan and suggested I try that. I just looked at him like he was insane. One patient! I'm going to see if I can get another opinion.

I do appreciate all of the opinions expressed here. All I can say is I have tried everything except vegetarian/vegan. I'm faithful and accountable to myself as not to deceive or corrupt my progress. This is grueling!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Wow I should have you talk to my doctor since you obviously know more than they do.

The first 20lb I lost without any deficit. That's a fact. You are free to ignore it if you'd like. I'd tried many calorie deficit programs before and was never going to lose much as long as I stayed sick and continued getting sicker. And I never gave up or even counted carbs...I said I changed what I eat. Specific foods are off limits for me like wheat and soy. I eat tons of rice, corn, and other high carb foods.

Now that my health is under control I can continue to lose weight with a deficit but I still can't eat certain foods regardless.

There are many different thyroid disorders and people with the same disorder may be at different stages requiring different medications and dietary restrictions. It really isn't as simple as you try to portray it and I find your comment potentially harmful as opposed to helpful.

ok first of all there was NO reason for you to get snarky, as for avoiding certain foods I never said you didnt have to. the only certain foods affect your health is if you have an intolerance,allergy or other health issue to them. which of course I never stated I just stated that cutting down on certain foods may help. I never said NOT to cut them down or out.you cut out wheat and soy,well obviously you had an issue with those foods.

cutting them out probably cut down on any inflammation you had which can result in water retention which can last longer than most people,if you cant eat certain foods you cant eat them I never said you had to. but most here will tell you its still about CICO.I know there are many different thyroid disorders I never discounted that, a lot of people with thyroid issues do go low carb and find it helps them,you may find it harmful but there are many people whom I have helped lose weight(on here) and yes a lot of them have health issues as well.

If someone is having issues losing weight its usually because they are eating more than they think, overestimating calories burned and eating all of those calories back,their hormones are out of whack or some other issue,and once they get things sorted they start losing again,cutting certain foods out can result in a deficit if you dont replace those calories and weight loss happens.I too lost weight without a deficit it was because I was moving more but that was at the very beginning of my weight loss journey. There are members here who have all kinds of thyroid issues,PCOS,diabetes,etc and they lost weight due to CICO. as for knowing more than your dr ,most drs arent trained in nutrition long enough to know whats right or wrong when it comes to diets,I had a dr tell me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight,my BMR is over 1400, and with so little weight to lose that would have been dangerous for me so drs dont know everything. I never said I know it all either.

I guess you are a rare snowflake indeed

• SCoil123
    Options

ok first of all there was NO reason for you to get snarky, as for avoiding certain foods I never said you didnt have to. the only certain foods affect your health is if you have an intolerance,allergy or other health issue to them. which of course I never stated I just stated that cutting down on certain foods may help. I never said NOT to cut them down or out.you cut out wheat and soy,well obviously you had an issue with those foods.

cutting them out probably cut down on any inflammation you had which can result in water retention which can last longer than most people,if you cant eat certain foods you cant eat them I never said you had to. but most here will tell you its still about CICO.I know there are many different thyroid disorders I never discounted that, a lot of people with thyroid issues do go low carb and find it helps them,you may find it harmful but there are many people whom I have helped lose weight(on here) and yes a lot of them have health issues as well.

If someone is having issues losing weight its usually because they are eating more than they think, overestimating calories burned and eating all of those calories back,their hormones are out of whack or some other issue,and once they get things sorted they start losing again,cutting certain foods out can result in a deficit if you dont replace those calories and weight loss happens.I too lost weight without a deficit it was because I was moving more but that was at the very beginning of my weight loss journey. There are members here who have all kinds of thyroid issues,PCOS,diabetes,etc and they lost weight due to CICO. as for knowing more than your dr ,most drs arent trained in nutrition long enough to know whats right or wrong when it comes to diets,I had a dr tell me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight,my BMR is over 1400, and with so little weight to lose that would have been dangerous for me so drs dont know everything. I never said I know it all either.

Actually you did say its all about CICO and it doesn't matter how you do it. That's what I was responding to because that isn't exactly true with many medical conditions. Its dangerous to tell someone with a medical condition that too because you could prevent them from getting the right treatment and help.

I'm not rare or special. Just a girl who struggled with hashimoto and felt like a failure when traditional weight loss methods were not enough. I don't want other people who struggle to feel like I did and delay finding a plan that works for them and their health.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Actually you did say its all about CICO and it doesn't matter how you do it. That's what I was responding to because that isn't exactly true with many medical conditions. Its dangerous to tell someone with a medical condition that too because you could prevent them from getting the right treatment and help.

I'm not rare or special. Just a girl who struggled with hashimoto and felt like a failure when traditional weight loss methods were not enough. I don't want other people who struggle to feel like I did and delay finding a plan that works for them and their health.

how am I preventing them from getting the right treatment and help? Did I say NOT to go see a dr? if you dont lose weight and its not one of the reasons I mentioned above then yes they should see a dr to rule anything out. I never said they shouldnt do that at all.but usually its one of those reasons above(even with health issues). I never said NOT to go to a dr, I never said that a medical condition cant mess with things. but even those with thyroid issues lose weight with CICO sure it may be a little harder to lose which is why a lot of people up their exercise. I said that a lot of people with thyroid disorders(which means they have been to a dr to rule thats their issue) lose weight eating low carb,some dont have to do low carb. I am not telling anyone to eat a certain way and NOT see a dr. nowhere did I say my advice or CICO takes the place of a dr. but those with thyroid issues should be seeing a endo not a regular doctor.a dietitian who also specializes in those disorders can help too.

you never said if your dr was an endo or not. those types of drs do know more than a regular family dr. maybe had you said my endo, then I would have answered a bit differently. again a lot of people here like I stated have these health issues and go low carb, or vegetarian, or even vegan and while they are losing weight its because again they are in a deficit.you can still become overweight being a vegan or vegetarian if you eat more than you burn. its common science.now those with thyroid issues sometime it takes time for them to get the right dosage of meds before they see any results,for them a lot of it is hormonal and once they get straightened out then things get going again. but even with health issues if you eat more than your body burns you wont lose weight. I have several health issues that I thought might be the reason why I wasnt losing weight like I thought I should,and nope none of those issues cause my weight loss to be slow.I still lose just slower than most(I have tried many ways of eating and even cut certain foods out before,thyroid issues run rampant in my family).some people have to find the right amount of calories to eat too because MFP's calorie goal is just an estimate. some people have gone as far as having their BMR tested to see where its at. For you cutting out certain foods works because it put you in a deficit and was causing other issues(maybe masking weight loss with water retention or maybe causing inflammation).

I never said that people should not cut out foods if its causing them health issues.even if you eat high carb foods,like you stated as long as you are in a deficit you will lose. sure it may be slower but weight loss is also not linear so you cant expect it to come off fast or even in the same amounts every week.some people also find that weighing all their food helps get the weight loss going again. weighing is a tool and can be helpful,it was for me I wasnt losing weight I was gaining and once I started weighing food,I realized I was eating more than I thought(I was using measuring cups before). for me that worked. if you read some of the threads for people that say they arent losing weight and they are doing everything right,most of them arent doing everything right they may have one flaw in what they are doing. then people suggest weighing,(if they say they are using cups) using the right entries,making sure they arent overestimating their calorie burn and eating back all exercise calories, most people once they start trying these suggestions come back to say they started losing again(even with health issues) I dont think anyone has ever said if you arent losing weight after doing everything right to not see a dr to rule anything out. I didnt say that either. Im not going to debate anymore, if you think your way has nothing to do with CICO then so be it.