Weight loss Surgery Question RNY 4/27

Options
2»

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Ehmeeheart wrote: »
    I'd suggest checking out the obesityhelp website. it has a lot more useful info than what you will find on MFP (for this type of question) im still pre op, so no expert, but i also asked the same question as you, and received a lot of useful information. Basically protein first, but calories are king. the feedback seems that most try to keep 600-800 calories until they reach goal, and then increase as your stomach and maintenance allows (1000-1200 ish from what i see). the bulk of these calories from protein, and minimizing carbs. (of course some people are exceptions)

All of which lines up with everything i've received from my bariatric clinic. It just good to hear it from others in a similar situation.

Stupid question. I've never had weight loss surgery, but is 1200 really maintanance? Let's say someone is 5'4" [average height for a woman, more or less] and 140 lbs and active. 1200 cals seems really low. I know once you have wls, the stomach is teeny tiny so you can't eat a lot at once, but surely CICO still applies.

I can't imagine being on 1200 cals as maintance since my TDEE is around 2400 cals/day.
  • Ehmeeheart
    Ehmeeheart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest checking out the obesityhelp website. it has a lot more useful info than what you will find on MFP (for this type of question) im still pre op, so no expert, but i also asked the same question as you, and received a lot of useful information. Basically protein first, but calories are king. the feedback seems that most try to keep 600-800 calories until they reach goal, and then increase as your stomach and maintenance allows (1000-1200 ish from what i see). the bulk of these calories from protein, and minimizing carbs. (of course some people are exceptions)

All of which lines up with everything i've received from my bariatric clinic. It just good to hear it from others in a similar situation.

Stupid question. I've never had weight loss surgery, but is 1200 really maintanance? Let's say someone is 5'4" [average height for a woman, more or less] and 140 lbs and active. 1200 cals seems really low. I know once you have wls, the stomach is teeny tiny so you can't eat a lot at once, but surely CICO still applies.

I can't imagine being on 1200 cals as maintance since my TDEE is around 2400 cals/day.

For sure, cico still applies, but there seems to be a bit of an exception to this. from what I've read, and been advised, some people (esp morbidly obese) when they lose massive amounts of weight, and yo yo weightloss have a messed up metabolism. Studies are showing that someone who has weighed say, 140 all their adult life can maintain that weight on 2000 calories, but someone who loses 150lbs to get to a maintenance weight of 140, will have to eat a lot fewer calories per day to maintain. Which is why wls is sometimes the best choice, for some people. It can help minimize hunger. And give you a chance to get a handle of behaviour changes needed when the restriction begins to fade. (For some)
    The last study I saw in the media was about the regain of biggest loser contestants. This was separate from behaviour change. A study of their metabolic rates before and after weightloss.
    But I'm definitely no expert, I'm just figuring all this out for myself, and seeing what works.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    here's a simple tool from the Baylor College of Medicine which will take into account your age, weight (either current or goal), and activity level when telling you how many calories you need to maintain that weight and how many servings of the various food groups you should be eating.

No, Just No.

This Nutrition calculator is intended for Children. It is wildly inaccurate for adults and will suggest unsafe calorie goals for adults. It will give a 35 year old sedentary person with a BMI of 18 a calorie goal that is below their BMR and gives starvation level numbers for older people.

I know you mean well but please stop linking people to this site. It's not intended for adults and following the advice it gives could be dangerous.

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Just my dumb question - but why would you undergo very serious surgery, just to be limited to 600-800 calories afterwards, and a maintenance of 1200 - if you can stick with 1200 and lose the weight anyways?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Just my dumb question - but why would you undergo very serious surgery, just to be limited to 600-800 calories afterwards, and a maintenance of 1200 - if you can stick with 1200 and lose the weight anyways?

Because it's usually a life or death matter, so the dr makes someone lose a certain amount of weight for surgery for that it's safer. Usually people are able to stick with the plan short term because it's motivating for them enough to do the surgery.

I've never had WLS but it's supposed to be a last ditch effort when nothing else works and there's a low quality of life. At least for gastric bypass. Now are there less invasive, reversible procedures like the lapband.
  • Ehmeeheart
    Ehmeeheart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Re why have the surgery if you can maintain a weight loss on 1200. The reality is most obese people can't maintain that lifestyle long term without a powerful tool like RNY. And medically at this point, weight loss surgery statistically has the best long term outcome for maintaining significant weight loss vs diet and excersize alone.
    Basically, it becomes the third pillar. Healthy diet +excersize + Rny = best likelyhood for reaching a healthy weight.

Of course there are always exceptions, and that's great for them. My grandmother has maintained a nearly 150lb loss for 30 years. Me, not so much. Again, surgery isnt for everyone.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have a question for OP. I looked at your profile pic and and the stats you posted mentioning you are 165 at 5'5 now and have lost 60 lbs since WLS. That doesn't seem that high for WLS to me. When I've seen people getting the surgery they are double to triple the size they should be (bmi) etc...although that could be wrong. I'm not judging it at all, I'm curious because I've wondered if it was something I would do due to my struggles with volume eating but for me, the focus is on behaviour management for right now. If you feel like sharing, I would love to hear more.
  • 157isgoal
    157isgoal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    slepygrl wrote: »
    FOR F*** SAKE! I know all the ins and outs of the surgery. I know how it's done. I know why. I'm only wanting to see what other people are doing. Calorie allowance varies from person to person. I'm active. I do stuff. WTF! THERE IS NO CONFUSION!

Why are you yelling and swearing at strangers who tried to help you?? WOW....Maybe you need psych help, not nutrition.....

This...
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options

A lot of the time WLS will reverses diabetes. I am totally off diabetic meds. Normal blood sugars.
  • slepygrl
    Options
    157isgoal wrote: »
    slepygrl wrote: »
    FOR F*** SAKE! I know all the ins and outs of the surgery. I know how it's done. I know why. I'm only wanting to see what other people are doing. Calorie allowance varies from person to person. I'm active. I do stuff. WTF! THERE IS NO CONFUSION!

Why are you yelling and swearing at strangers who tried to help you?? WOW....Maybe you need psych help, not nutrition.....

This...

Bless your heart....
  • slepygrl
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I have a question for OP. I looked at your profile pic and and the stats you posted mentioning you are 165 at 5'5 now and have lost 60 lbs since WLS. That doesn't seem that high for WLS to me. When I've seen people getting the surgery they are double to triple the size they should be (bmi) etc...although that could be wrong. I'm not judging it at all, I'm curious because I've wondered if it was something I would do due to my struggles with volume eating but for me, the focus is on behaviour management for right now. If you feel like sharing, I would love to hear more.

I couldn't keep the weight off. I tried it all. I worked in healthcare. I saw what the end looks like for fat people. It's awful. I didn't want that. I made the ultimate behavior modification. I do not regret it for a second.
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bariatricpal.com has a good message board that would be less judgemental for your kind of question. I'm in the process of qualifying for rny early next year. Also, my local hospital has a bariatric support group that meets once a month and is free, you might try to see if there is one in your area.
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »

Requirement for WLS is BMI of 40 or BMI of 35 with co-morbids (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc)

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good luck
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options

If my fat self could have stuck to 1200 calories before having surgery than that would have been great. However when I was 300+ lbs 1200 calories was a meal which is why I weighed that much. I had the sleeve 3 years ago and now I average around 1200-1500 calories a day. I was on a fast track to many health complications and couldn't stop my intake of food so I chose the surgical route. I lost over 100lbs and have gained and lost 20lbs over the past couple years (currently in the losing them part again). If I hadn't had the surgery I am well convinced I'd be 400lbs or more right now. It was my choice and one that I'm happy I made.

OP- I am surprised you didn't get a plan that took you all the way out. My office gave me a plan that was before and after surgery. I knew how many weeks/months each stage was and then how many calories I would require in each stage which included the maintenance stage. I learned this all before I decided, during my 6 month nutritional counseling, and after surgery teaching. I actually got a huge binder with all the info. And I do agree that at your stage a bariatric surgical forum would better answer your questions.
  • byebyeband
    byebyeband Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Slepygrl, I am currently able to manage 400-500 calories a day at 6 weeks post op. My surgeon said that I should be aiming for 800 around 6 months. Obviously different for everyone, as our pouches and tolerances are all different, but hopefully this might help a little. Congrats on your loss!
  • travelher
    travelher Posts: 11 Member
    Options

1000-1200 calories as maintenance for a WLS patient seems to be a norm based on what I've need on those forums. there may be exceptions, but genetically some people just are predisposed to being overweight and this is how they need to eat to maintain a healthy weight. Goals for WL patients after surgery do not usually target calories but are more geared to getting in a healthy amount of protein and water and taking vitamins because they are not capable of eating the same amount as others.