Thighs and bum toning without standing/jumping about?!

Options
I desperately need to lose some weight from my thighs and bum... The only problem is, I can't do squats or jump about or stepping up and down carrying extra weights due to a recovering broken ankle with tendon damage (now contains plates and screws). It's still very stiff and I don't have full movement of it yet although I can walk without the crutches for the majority of the time.
The only gym equipment I have access to is the ocassional use of my sisters cross trainer (when she's not around) which I have tried this week and is ok on the ankle.

Any ideas of what I could do?

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try swimming?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    This is the time to concentrate on your diet.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Try single leg circles.... Heres a free short video

http://www.ehow.com/video_2365448_single-leg-circle-exercise-pilates.html
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges once your ankle gets better, but until your injury heals focus mostly on your diet. As far as weight loss, diet is more important than exercise. Also spot reduction doesn't work, you can only lose overall body fat, there is no way to target a specific part of your body.
  • aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    Options
    What about the good old exercises, lie on you back and do scissors with your legs and the circles like riding a bike etc???
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check out this YouTube video. It's helping me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrP9q7RY-Ts
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. Shuffle forwards and backwards (like walking on your bottom!) and that will work some of those big muscles there without straining your ankle. Should help to tone up that area.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Gentle cycling?
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There's a Pilates "clam" move that's killer for your butt - here's a link to a YouTube example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc-8G9SZvuc

You can also do it elevated - keep your knees in position like that but bring your feet up off the floor. Burns like you wouldn't believe at first but you'll see results pretty quickly. Try to do ten or fifteen on each side - move slow - don't just flap around. Control your movement. The first time I did them I thought my leg would fall off - but really. It's GOOD.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try doing Tracy Anderson workouts. Her stuff is amazing on the butt, hips, legs, and it is mostly done while you are on all 4's. You can try a couple you tube videos first...I love her stuff!
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've lost 28lbs so far using diet with a little exercise but just need to tone my thighs and bum up a bit!
    I'm always gonna have big thighs (horse rider legs) but the muscle has turned a little to fat now!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    great advice from everyone! Do Back leg extensions, on hands and knees.......

also, try doing Pelvic Lifts....amazing results in your ENTIRE Pelvic area---but , thighs, lower tummy, etc....
    just squeeze and tighten as you lift, and you could put more weight on the good foot, if you need to. (on floor in sit up position, knees bent, and squeeze and lift but in the air, bringing knees together, then down relax. i like to hold up for 5 seconds b4 coming down, really squeezing hard. google it :--)
    hope you get better soon!!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Pilates clams! I picked up a Winsor Pilates Buns and Thighs DVD from ebay along with some other DVDs. This one is fabulous for people who can be up bouncing around. It's ALL matt work but by the time you're done with the program ( I think it's 20 minutes long?) you can certainly feel the burn, but it's totally worth it! It's by far my favorite exercise DVD.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    DO the "Brazil Butt Lift" program. I have been doing it since March, and trust me when I started I could not make it through the dvd's, it was tough. Not to be obnoxious (but I am proud)... I have a tush you can bounce a quarter off of, no sag crease the nice little bump down the back of my thigh, definition all over the thigh knees and calves, hips look nice and it rocks your abs...and when I walk my thighs do not jiggle or move at all. This is a total body workout, not just for your butt, the name is really misleading. You will get gorgeous long lean muscles....and a nice tush!! There are 12 workouts in the program but I recommen getting the upgrade it has 3 KILLER (not bad just crazy good) workouts 2 booty resistance bands for intermediate and advanced (you get the beginner one in the original set), and the ankle weights. Totally worth it, I was going to try P90X soon but honestly I love how I look now and the workouts are FUN.... expesially Cardio Axe.... it is all salsa dancing and just a blast to do, and this one makes you feel ann sexy and fine!!!!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    In the 30 Day SHred there is a move calle dthe Superman. You lay on your stomach and lift your arms, chest, and legs off teh floor like youa re flying like SUperman. IT works the legs, butt, abs, shoulders, and Lord knows what else!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with the scissors and leg lifts (back, side upper/lower). One of the circuits of Jillian's No More Trouble Zones includes these and she even acknowledges that they're old school but still very effective!

Just found a good one - google "pilates side kick series" and check out the about.com link. These whill help work your abs too!

edited to add: also agree with pelvic thrusts (also known as bridge) - there are a variety of positions and they really target your buns, upper thigh and lower back.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Try Pilates.