2 weeks of exercise and no progress?

Options
Hi guys,

Today I checked my weighing scales to see how my progress was going, and I was shocked to notice that I still weigh the same amount. Could anyone tell me why this is happening?

I go exercise on the bike 6 out of 7 mornings for roughly 50mins, and I've been watching my calorie intake while trying to provide enough nutrition for my body.

Every second day I do a weights session in the evening.

Now all I can say is that I definitely am feeling stronger, but I'm wondering why my weight isn't going down?
Is it possible that the initial muscle that I'm putting on is making me heavier? Even though I probably am losing weight?

Anyway, any input on this would be very helpful.
Thanks.

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It may because of muscle gain! Don't worry... Usually (sometimes) if you're not losing weight, you may be losing inches in your body! Do some measurements and see!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When I first started, it took me about 3 weeks to see the loss. Just stick with it and it will come.
  • rhomor
    rhomor Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi there,

Why don't you open up your diary so we can take a look? I have a similar problem but it was because of my low cal (around 900/day) diet and exercise (burning about 350-450/day). It tool me a really, really long time to believe people who said I needed to eat more and work out a little less to lose weight. It just did not compute in my head. I have up'd my intake and changed up my workout routine and I have already lost 4 lbs.

On the other hand, it may be just as you said and the muscle is weighing more then the fat. Do you measure inches? I always read about people losing inches not weight because they are toning and firming up. Could be the case, start taking your measurements.

Anyway, Good Luck!!!
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Different people lose weight at different rates. Generally speaking you won't gain enough muscle in a 2 week period to see a huge difference. When I started working out I saw no movement in the scale for a month. Then it started dropping fast. It takes years to gain weight..... so it is only natural for it to take a little while to lose weight as well. Stick with it. You will see results. Good luck.
  • DanniR88xx
    DanniR88xx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agree - could be down to muscle gain! When you start doing lots of exercise you're body holds on to more water and nutrients as it's not used to it and needs to repair the muscles. Keep at it - i'm sure it'll catch up!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi

It is difficult to comment without seeing your food diary as well because it depends on what foods you are eating to keep within your calorie recommendations, but don't just rely on your scales. Do you measure your self as well? as an example, I hadn't lost any weight one week but when I measured myself I had lost 8 inches in total over 7 body parts (thighs, arms, hips, chest, waist).

The strength training you are doing will increase your muscle to fat ratio and increase your metabolism as muscle burns around 3 times as much as fat does.

Keep up the hard work and maybe try and introduce a bit more fat burning cardio exercise :smile:
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Well, what brought me to this post was that you didn't mention nutrition in your question. You MUST include a balanced healthy and controlled diet in combination with exercise in order to lose weight. One without the other isn't good. You can lose weight controlling calories but not working out, but I definitely wouldn't recommend that. Sounds like that's not the problem for you. I see you say you are trying to make sure you have enough fuel to work out, but be careful and log everything. You may need to eat foods with high protein and fewer calories. Watch those calories, drink water, incorporate cardio and strength, and you will lose. Good luck!!
  • Kenshin_D
    Kenshin_D Posts: 7
    Options
    Hey Guys,
    I've opened my food diary there so you can take a look and perhaps direct me.
    Its all as accurate as can be give or take maybe a 100 cal either way.

Thanks for the advice, It's appreciated.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    All I can offer is keep with it and give it time. If you're working at it, the results will show, just maybe not as quickly as you want.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Agree - could be down to muscle gain! When you start doing lots of exercise you're body holds on to more water and nutrients as it's not used to it and needs to repair the muscles. Keep at it - i'm sure it'll catch up!

I have been told that muscle weighs the same as fat, but what you are saying that it weighs more at the start of a new exercise programme?

Thanks!
  • DanniR88xx
    DanniR88xx Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I have been told that muscle weighs the same as fat, but what you are saying that it weighs more at the start of a new exercise programme?

Thanks!

Muscle weighs more than fat due to the density so if you've just started a new exercise program it could be that you've got rid of fat and replaced with muscle which would not show a weight loss as the program continues you will lose fat and the muscle will build which will then help burn more calories as muscle does this