How do you eat your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Add a tablespoon of soy sauce and a squirt(or many) of Sirachi. Fry an egg and serve with a few cashews.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Trader Joe's multi-grain oats - great if you dislike the "softer" or mushy quality of some oatmeals. I add plain Greek yogurt (at least 2%, no fat free stuff), honey, plain protein powder, a bit of butter, cinnamon, and whatever fruit I have. Fresh peaches in summer is a favorite. Or blueberries. Strawberries in spring. Frozen blueberries or raspberries are good too when I don't have fresh on hand. Sometimes I throw some walnuts in too, if I feel like some crunch.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I really prefer steel cut oats to normal -- texture is better. Takes longer to cook bu keeps well in fridge and reheats nicely in microwave. I usually add a bit of chia seed to increase fiber. I either eat with fruit (had a nice peach this morning) and a bit of brown sugar. Or my other favorite is "almond joy oats". Recipe: 1/2 cup precooked steel cut oats. 1/2 Tablespoon chia seed, 1/2 tablespoon mini choc chips, 1 Tablespoon toasted sweetened coconut, 1/2 tablespoon slivered almonds. I know it's not the same for everyone, but I find I am rarely hungry the mornings I've had oats for breakfast. Ends up being about 240 calories.
  • bvplh
    bvplh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cook 1/2 cup old fashioned oats with 1 cup water for ~2 minutes in microwave. Stir in 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla, and a dash of salt. Cook another two minutes and top with 1-2 cups fresh berries. Healthy and delicious!
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am blown away at the many different ways to eat oatmeal. I have the 1 minute oats from Quaker. Where would I find steel cut?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Butter and peanut butter both strike me as strange additions to porridge. I like it with brown sugar, and if I'm pushing the boat out, cinnamon, sultanas and dark chocolate. I prefer it made with milk but if I'm making it for everyone I have to use water.

This is because Mr Garage is a purist. WATER AND SALT.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,334 Member
    Options
    I put it uncooked into my breakfast smoothie sometime but before mfp, if i did have it i liked it with a little butter on top & half & half, no sugar. I don't add sugar to anything, unless i'm baking of course
  • wenandrews363
    wenandrews363 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make your own stewed apple with stevia to sweeten s little then add this to your oat meal. Use skim or almond milk when cooking your oatmeal instead of water
  • MickeyN64
    MickeyN64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How you cook your oatmeal can make a difference in taste. If you overcook it in the microwave or on the stove it can taste like mush. I like to undercook mine a little bit cause it maintains its oat texture & tastes better to me. I then add almond milk...maybe a sprinkle of stevia.
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    With lots of cinnamon and a little bit of Splenda.
  • 157isgoal
    157isgoal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    with PB2
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and eat almost everyday in many diffferent combinations. I love it with coconut milk and a bit of shredded unsweetened coconut for example, or with fresh strawberries and a tbsp of dark chocolate chips.

Recently I found this recipe and has become my favorite so far:

Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal
    https://dashingdish.com/recipe/brownie-batter-overnight-protein-oatmeal/

open-uri20150722-16-nrd17l?1438027231
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't find the fruit works for me, never really gets me the taste I want. A nice combination I've used is to mix it with water, then add peanut butter, a dusting of chocolate diet whey powder, and some honey... it's the absolute nuts in taste and keeps you going all day!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What is PB2

Powdered peanut butter.

https://www.bellplantation.com/

Lots of different brands. My Wal-Mart carries PB Fit, my Target carries PB2, Trader Joes (not in my area) carries something else.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    add ins include but are not limited to: egg whites, peanut butter chips, carob chips, chocolate chips, banana, cinnamon, dates, raisins, cashew butter, almond butter, peanut butter, candied pecans, nuts of any kind (not all of this at the same time!) I usually pick a couple and try to keep it under 450 cals, always steel cut oats.
  • Vizhen
    Vizhen Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure why, but Starbucks has really good oatmeal. They have just the right about of toppings. Sometimes I don't use the brown sugar but when I do, it's only a little. At home I make savory oatmeal. Google it. There are tons of recipes. My favorite one right now has an egg, golden raisins, green onion, almonds or pecans, and cinnamon. I think that's it. I haven't made it in a while. Oh, and I cook it with almond milk.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    with peanut butter, cut up banana and honey or brown sugar.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the responses to see if anyone mentioned this but I have a slight obsession with Overnight Oats and Chia Pudding. I use greek yogurt (flavor of choice) and silk soy milk as a base to let them soak in overnight. After that it just comes down to adding the things you like. If it helps some of my favorite recipes have come off of spoonuniversity.com .. I'd recommend adjusting the added ingredients to your goals. Some of the recipes can be very loaded.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am blown away at the many different ways to eat oatmeal. I have the 1 minute oats from Quaker. Where would I find steel cut?

You should be able to find steel-cut oats next to the other types of oats in the hot cereals aisle, or possibly in the natural foods section of your grocery store. Amazon also has many different brands of steel-cut oats if your local store happens to not carry them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    olymp1a wrote: »
    I love oatmeal and eat almost everyday in many diffferent combinations. I love it with coconut milk and a bit of shredded unsweetened coconut for example, or with fresh strawberries and a tbsp of dark chocolate chips.

Recently I found this recipe and has become my favorite so far:

Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal
    https://dashingdish.com/recipe/brownie-batter-overnight-protein-oatmeal/

open-uri20150722-16-nrd17l?1438027231

Haha I hate those. I make them and I'm like... nope, really doesn't taste like what it's supposed to taste like. I'm always disappointed (yes I did that one).