protein allowance

Options
I have gone over my protein allowance both days but under every thing else does this matter? or will i put weight on?

Replies

• EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    They are a guide only a lots of people go over. I personally always go over on fat (slightly) and protein (quite a bit) but am always under on carbs but this is intentional.

I believe you can change them if it suits you to do so but I'm happy to just look at them as a guide.

:smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Over on protein is probabaly a good thing, especially if you are doing any sort of strength training to build up your muscles.

I aim to get 100g per day, and dont often reach it, but I get close!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I custom changed my goals to work for me... no more pesky "red number" glaring at me anymore... I see this is your first post so give yourself time to learn and figure it out... there is a learning curve. Start with the calories... once you find yourself able to manage that number, move on to fat, or sodium, or carbs.

Review your diary... see where you can make changes in your diet (and by diet I mean your eating- not the pesky d word that I believe is a bunch of bs)... in the process you will learn how to make balanced meals that will enable you to hit all of your macros with ease.

Try not to be overwhelmed at first... one step at a time!
  • BeckyEspin
    BeckyEspin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thankyou for that you have put my mind at rest i was grtting worried that i would put weight on x
  • Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    My goal most days is to actually go over my protein goal! Like someone else said, you can change it manually so that you don't see a red number anymore and as you go along you can see which percentages work for your body. I'd say that of all the macros, protein is the one where it's actually ok to go over.
  • tathrel
    tathrel Posts: 3
    Options
    Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.
    How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.
    It's Essential

Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Whether you are an avid strength trainer, a marathon runner, or just an average exerciser, a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, fish, and complex carbohydrates is what nutritionists recommend.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD, May 29, 2002.

©1996-2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.
    Last Editorial Review: 1/30/2005 10:56:15 PM

Privacy Policy
    Living Better

Find the secrets to longer life.

Depression: Is Your Treatment Working?

Symptom Checker: Your Guide to Symptoms & Signs: Pinpoint Your Pain

From WebMD
    Fitness Resources

* Loud Headphones: Not a Blast for Your Ears

Featured Centers

* Slideshow: Treating RA With Biologics
    * Test Your Adult Vaccine IQ
    * Are Acid and Sugar Wrecking Your Smile?

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors

* Depression Med for You?
    * MS Rx Options

Also on MedicineNet

* Tips to Ease Nighttime Pain
    * Living with Obstructive Asthma
    * Type 2 Diabetes: Manage Your Symptoms
    * Is Pain Interfering With Your Life?

Featured on MedicineNet

* Pain Affecting Your Life?
    * Benefits of Treating Depression
    * Tips to Ease Nighttime Pain
    * Sleep Myths & Facts
    * Ways to Avoid Back Pain

Health & Living Center

* Diet & Weight Management
    * Exercise & Fitness
    o Benefits of Exercise
    o Exercise & Fitness Tips
    o Mind & Body Fitness
    o Workout Routines & Ideas
    o RSS Exercise & Fitness RSS
    o Calories Burned Calculator from WebMD
    * Nutrition, Food & Recipes
    * Prevention & Wellness

WebMD Food &
    Fitness Planner

Diet and exercise just
    got a lot easier.
    Introducing the new
    way to meet your healthy living goals.
    Adult Skin Problems Slideshow
    Latest Exercise & Fitness News

* Health Tip: Warm Up Before Exercise
    * Athletes May Benefit From Shorter Warm-Ups
    * Guidelines on Safe Weight Loss for Athletes
    * High School Students Don't Get Enough Exercise
    * Walking the Dog Benefits You, Too
    * Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
    * XML Health News Feed
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    Over on protein is probabaly a good thing, especially if you are doing any sort of strength training to build up your muscles.

I aim to get 100g per day, and dont often reach it, but I get close!

Ditto on that. Protein is good for muscle health. I try for 100 also, it's hard sometimes to reach it.