this is ridiculous

Options
For over a year I've been consistently logging everything on this site. For the majority of this year, I was a size 00-0 (5'5" 118-124 lbs with a fit/muscular build). Literally from April to May, I gained about 10 pounds and went up to a size 2-4. I don't know why this happened, but what's more frustrating is that I can't get this weight off! I've been SO careful about everything I eat, and I've been working out at least two hours every day. I have decided to give up drinking until I lose this weight (I'm a college student-this is a big deal!). I've tried eating 800-900 calorie days (didn't work), eating the base 1200, and eating back some of the exercise calories. I worry about increasing calories because gaining more weight would be the absolute worst thing that could happen. My workouts consist of 6-16 mile runs (the shorter runs sometimes include intervals), strength training sessions with a trainer, spinning classes, 30 minutes on the stationary rower, and crossfit. On any given day I will usually do a combination of two of these workouts. Even with all this work, I don't think I've lost any weight. It's terribly depressing; I'm supposed to go back to college in August, and I don't know how I will be able to return without losing the weight. I don't even fit in my jeans, and I refuse to buy new clothes just because I got fatter. To add to that, I'm supposed to start marathon training in August and it will be a challenge to bear all the extra pounding on the pavement from this weight. Is there something I'm missing? I don't know what to do!

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    idea #1: stop eating at the dining hall
  • lisapooh1
    lisapooh1 Posts: 90
    Options
    Your not eating enough calories. Athletes eat at least for the average woman 1800 calories. Your starving your body so you body is feeding itself. Your a size 2 and that upsets you, you need to focus on being healthy and eating right if you plan on being an athlete, sorry to sound so harsh, it's just that your so young........:sad:
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Maybe you're at your target weight? If you're around 134 now, you're right in the middle of the healthy range for your height.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor....? Sorry dont want to alarm you, but just to be on the safe side eh?
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough calories. Athletes eat at least for the average woman 1800 calories. Your starving your body so you body is feeding itself. Your a size 2 and that upsets you, you need to focus on being healthy and eating right if you plan on being an athlete, sorry to sound so harsh, it's just that your so young........:sad:

^^^^^ This

If you're working out that much everyday and then not wanting to eat over 1200 cal, then you just aren't getting enough food in your system. Open up your diary and let us take a look at what you've been doing.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    EAT. MORE. FOOD.

Here's the harsh truth - you're blasting your body with grueling workouts and starving it of fuel.

You're also not adding if the weight you put on did anything to change your existing muscle composition. When you are at a lower weight category and begin pretty hardcore training, YOU WILL PUT ON WEIGHT. It's muscle glycation, for one, and over time, you've also built some lean mass.

For your own safety, please go see a doctor or RD that specializes in sports nutrition and training. Marathon prep is no joke and you need to have a good basis of understanding how to eat and train without severly hurting yourself. I'd also suggest throwing your scale out the window and focusing solely on body composition. Just because you put on pounds does NOT mean you've gotten "fat."
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor....? Sorry dont want to alarm you, but just to be on the safe side eh?
    Yeh if you are eating the same amount but settling on a different weight then it's possible you have a hormonal imbalance or some other underlying illness.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough.

However, since this weight came on in 30 days a doctor's visit is definitely in order. A sudden change in weight-up or down-without making dietary or exercise changes could very well be signaling a significant health problem.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I agreed with ya'll about this potentially being something medical or hormonal because my habits didn't change when I put on the weight. I know the weight isn't a response to increased activity (since I didn't work out more than usual when I put the weight on); I've been an athlete for the majority of my life and this won't be my first marathon. And the decreased calories were only a recent habit in response to the weight gain. I had bloodwork taken recently and upon analysis it showed a hormonal imbalance that should supposedly be easy to fix. Hopefully that will help, and soon!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    EAT. MORE. FOOD.

Here's the harsh truth - you're blasting your body with grueling workouts and starving it of fuel.

You're also not adding if the weight you put on did anything to change your existing muscle composition. When you are at a lower weight category and begin pretty hardcore training, YOU WILL PUT ON WEIGHT. It's muscle glycation, for one, and over time, you've also built some lean mass.

For your own safety, please go see a doctor or RD that specializes in sports nutrition and training. Marathon prep is no joke and you need to have a good basis of understanding how to eat and train without severly hurting yourself. I'd also suggest throwing your scale out the window and focusing solely on body composition. Just because you put on pounds does NOT mean you've gotten "fat."

Excellent advice. Your body needs nourishment, and it isn't getting it.