What happened to the Add Recipes tool?

Options
piper_granny
piper_granny Posts: 9 Member
I've been adding all the homemade low carb/keto friendly recipes I'm creating for my keto food plan, and all of a sudden (as of today-I just added a spaghetti sauce recipe last night with no problem), there's no place to give the DIRECTIONS to make the recipe! All I can do is list the ingredients, amount of ingredients, and number of servings- no place to tell how hot to make the oven, how long to bake, what order to mix ingredients, etc - all the stuff one needs to know when prepping food. Even when I click "edit recipe", it only gives me the option to add or remove an ingredient or to change the number of servings. It's driving me nuts thinking I'm looking right at it but can't see a specific button or something. HELP???? If I'm only making recipes for myself, no problem - I know how to do it - but I thought the whole reason for the recipes was to SHARE them with others and to FIND great recipes created by others. if this is a glitch, please fix asap! thanks!!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't remember ever seeing that?
  • piper_granny
    Options
    So confused! I wonder if they've rolled out an update to the site - and changed the recipe tool. I used to be able to describe the steps (in a big text box like this), add key words (in another box) so that, if someone were searching something specific, like "ketogenic", they might find my recipe(s), and it had you list the ingredients again, in another text box, to make it look like a real recipe when viewed. I know I wasn't dreaming this, and can't believe they'd get rid of that feature. oh well.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for about five years and I don't ever remember seeing the ability to add recipe instructions. I remember being frustrated when I started using the site because the other site I had been using (starts with an 'S' ;) ) did have the ability to add instructions. Did you ever use another site? Maybe you're remembering that one.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've been on here off and on for years. I don't remember any place to put cooking directions - just ingredients for counting macros/some micros/cals/servings. Maybe you're thinking of Fitday or some other place.
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been an option since started using the site last year. The closest thing to keeping track of directions is under the auto import feature where one can provide a recipe's url. Once ingredients are imported and edited, the recipe's link stays attached so one can follow it to the directions.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes has to be a different site OP is thinking about. I have been here 2 years and never seen anything like that here in our recipe builder.

If you add your recipe manually, and all the ingredients must all be manual. But if you add and save the recipe using a link, from with in the recipe you can actually go to the recipe's website and it will all be in there. Otherwise the storage of recipes in your database has a name and ingredients only.
  • dlcshan
    dlcshan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Actually you can add all that information after you "Enter New Recipe" under the "Old Recipe Calculator" but you have to select the radio button for Yes under the question "Would you like to submit this recipe to the MyFitnessPal recipe database?" That is the only way I ever saw it show up at all in the first place.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    dlcshan wrote: »
    Actually you can add all that information after you "Enter New Recipe" under the "Old Recipe Calculator" but you have to select the radio button for Yes under the question "Would you like to submit this recipe to the MyFitnessPal recipe database?" That is the only way I ever saw it show up at all in the first place.

But that still doesn't allow for the recipe instructions. Only the ingredients and quantities. I still believe the OP is getting this site confused with another site that I used to be a member of about six years ago. It allows for recipe instructions, sharing, and searching of recipes just like they described.
  • piper_granny
    Options
    dlcshan - YESSS!!!! That's what it is - I didn't click that little 'radio button' to add the recipe to the MFP database! when I did that, all the info areas I KNOW I saw are there - I've never used another site, and I KNOW I wasn't dreaming this LOL. Thanks!! I feel like a complete dingbat, but that's all it was.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    dlcshan - YESSS!!!! That's what it is - I didn't click that little 'radio button' to add the recipe to the MFP database! when I did that, all the info areas I KNOW I saw are there - I've never used another site, and I KNOW I wasn't dreaming this LOL. Thanks!! I feel like a complete dingbat, but that's all it was.

Again, that still doesn't allow for recipe instructions to be added or displayed. I do not see any recipe instructions. Anywhere. The closest thing you can come to instructions is importing a recipe from another page and it giving you a link to click on and take you to where you imported it from.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use pepperplate.com for a recipe repository, menu planner and shopping lists. I add recipes here only to be able to log them in my diary. The recipes here are just too clunky to be using to cook from. The only problem with pepperplate is you can't share access to your recipes if you want to link something to someone.
  • meunse01
    meunse01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been asking customer service about this. They said to add the instructions in that day's food notes or use the blog. Why not just let us add instructions?! Also, has anyone else had issues with both the importer and manual
    add multiplying ingredients, no matter how many times you edit and save. I kept wondering why calorie counts were so much hire than the original recipe.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Again, that still doesn't allow for recipe instructions to be added or displayed. I do not see any recipe instructions. Anywhere. The closest thing you can come to instructions is importing a recipe from another page and it giving you a link to click on and take you to where you imported it from.

Huh. Actually, yes it does.

Old recipe builder
    only, with submission turned on, near the very bottom, right above where you can upload a photo. At least on the web app, it works fine for me.
  • Wynterbourne
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

Huh. Actually, yes it does.

Old recipe builder
    only, with submission turned on, near the very bottom, right above where you can upload a photo. At least on the web app, it works fine for me.

Aha! And that would be why I never saw it. I've never shared a recipe to the database.

ETA: Heck, I don't even know how to search/look at the recipe database. Do you have to have shared one to gain access? lol
  • meunse01
    meunse01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, but the app develops should just let us add instructions as it is now.