C25k

Options
Anyone out there who's out of shape and tried this program?

Replies

• Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the c25k program. I'm on week 4.

Give it a shot - it moves along at a reasonable pace - enough to be challenging but not so challenging that it's overwhelming.

Good luck!

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I used C25K to start running several years ago. Great plan. My best advice is if you can run any slower you are running too fast. Good luck!
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    What's great about the program is how easy it is to repeat workouts if you aren't ready to proceed. You can adjust the program to work for you based on your readiness level. Good luck!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I used it years ago when I wanted to start running. Amazing program I recommended to anyone who want to start running or get beck to running after a long break.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I started using it to start running recently. As others have said it's very easy to adjust if you find the pace isn't right for you and I actually sped it up as found as I was able to progress quicker than the plan. I would definitely recommend it.

Have just started B210K (Bridge to 10K) and on Week 2 - definitely not speeding this one up though!!
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I went from totally sedentary and overweight and completed this. It's tough, but it's doable. It's really worth it! I went through each week pushing myself to complete the three in a week, and I booked a 5k place at the end - that's worth doing too, you could pick something like a park run to keep your focus.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It worked very well for me when I did it back in 2014.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have just recently completed it and now on b210k. Went from being out of breath after 1 minute of running to quite quickly finding it too easy and completed the 9 week program in 5 weeks skipping ahead now and then.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I went from totally sedentary and overweight and completed this. It's tough, but it's doable. It's really worth it! I went through each week pushing myself to complete the three in a week, and I booked a 5k place at the end - that's worth doing too, you could pick something like a park run to keep your focus.

Did you complete it within time or take longer?

I gave up halfway - well because life took over but I can't deny that I was repeating weeks too.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did it in 2014 when I started it I was walking several days a week but that was my only exercise. I did my first 10K this summer although I didn't use the C210K app I just started increasing my weekend run by .5 miles every week. The c25k program works great although at the end of the program I still wasn't doing 5K since I don't run a 30 minute 5K so it took my an extra week to add the extra time to get to 3.1 miles.
  • laurastuebgen9141
    laurastuebgen9141 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

That makes me feel good to see this. I'm not super active yet either. I just started a circuit training program at home for beginners. I'm 30 and 230 I have to feel better for myself most importantly and of course my boyfriend,his son, and my nieces and nephews.

• laurastuebgen9141
    laurastuebgen9141 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What other programs would you all recommend for a beginner?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i did it and b210k and i moved on and ran a half in may

people like zombierun too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I did a C25k program 4ish years ago when I got back into fitness. It's a good way to get going again. I was pretty sedentary and as a motivational tool, I signed up for a 5K and used that tool to train for it. I was slow as hell, but I finished the race...and I wasn't last.

I don't run anymore, but it was a good re-introduction to fitness. I cycle my *kitten* of now...slated to do a century ride in late September...though I may reduce the mileage to 1/2 century as I've been sidelined with a pinched nerve and haven't been able to train like I would like.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I completed it about 3-4 weeks ago and it worked for me (was completely a beginner when I started). Take it slow in the beginning if you try it. ( I used the coolrunning c25k app)
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I first did it, I was 28, and 260lbs. Completely sedentary. I found myself repeating weeks because 3x a week was hard to do. Every day I'd "do it tomorrow..." So after a month of never progressing past week one, I changed from 3x a week to 5x and I did it Monday through Friday. This worked MUCH better for me, and I was able to complete the program in 9 weeks. I never skipped though. I just repeated run 3 each week two more times. At the end I was running a very slow 5k. I still weighed 240lbs after all.

I like to run outside. Treadmills/gyms don't do it for me. So I repeat this program every spring with my boxer-mix to get us both back in the swing of running. (I'm really only fooling myself, he doesn't need to get back in the swing, but he's supportive lol)
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I started the program a 3-4 weeks ago, but got VERY bored in week 2. I used to run in high school, but that was 10 years ago. Now I use Zombies, Run when I am out (story motivates me to run), and I just run slowly for as long as I can and then walk when needed. This is much more fitting for me. Right now, I am able to run 2.5 miles in about 30 minutes. So I am obviously still a beginner. I run every other day and I alternate days with a shorter 30 minute run/jog with a longer 50 minute run/walk. The Zombies, Run app is really nice (it is $20 for the year for premium features), but you can change the elapsed time of any story or you can set a distance goal instead of a timed goal.

I don't know if there are any free apps that do that, but I'm sure there are some other options.
  • bharris71
    bharris71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used C25K a couple of years ago and have always used that as my go to when haven't ran in a long time to get me going again. I am now working my way towards doing a half. My hope is to be able to do one in the spring. I love c25k and recommend it to anyone that wants to start running. You have to have something to help you get going and it is a great training tool. Look into using the proper running forms to so that you know you don't injure yourself while running.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I finished in early July. Worked like a charm!

My suggestions:
    -make sure you can easily walk for 30 minutes or a few miles without breaks before you start
    -run very slowly, like barely faster than your walk if you need to - the goal is to build up to running the entire time, speed and distance comes later
    -repeat weeks as many times as you need to, but be willing to try the next step. I surprised myself over and over again with how fast I was able to improve