Protein shakes and bars

Options
If I'm looking to lose weight should I consume protein shakes and bars throughout the day to control overeating( in addition to just beginning to work out and make better meal choices?)

Replies

• Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just had my 1st one today. :smile: I had a quest bar and a coding to their website, replace 1 meal with a bar. I did and I was so full with one and a cup of coffee. Also, a lot of members on here suggested skipping them altogether and eating higher protein foods. :) best of luck and add me if you want a buddy on your journey. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You can if you are having trouble meeting your protein goal, but they won't do anything to help you lose weight. Some peole find they're more satisfied when they eat a lot of protein. It's one of those things you'll have to try and figure out for yourself.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yes/No.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For protein bars, personally I don't find them filling/satisfying enough that I tend to only eat them when I'm on the run or have no other option.

To meet my daily protein goal however, I will have a protein shake/smoothie most days, in addition to eating meat at 3 meals and eggs at 2 meals.

For my protein shake, I do: 1 scoop choc protein powder, 1 tbsp. powdered PB, 6oz almond milk, 7 ice cubes, and blend blend blend. It's like a healthy milkshake! On the weekends I will switch the powdered PB for a 1/2 tsp instant coffee and it's like a healthy iced cap. Love!
  • laurastuebgen9141
    laurastuebgen9141 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm new to getting in shape.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Yes/No.
    Excellent answer.

To elaborate on this:

To lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn.

Eat in a way that makes you less prone to overeating. If that means protein shakes and bars, consume protein shakes and bars. If it means eating better meals, eat better meals.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes make me very full so I don't want to eat as much. They're really helping me. But they might not affect everyone that way.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Only if you like them.
  • amymurray12282
    amymurray12282 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have had success so far with having a Quest bar with my morning coffee. 180-210 calories with plenty of protein, and I'm not even remotely hungry again until lunch. I've noticed on the days when I don't have one, but choose something else instead, I'm hungry, or at the very least, snackish by 10. I think it's a "To each their own" thing....what works for one may not work for another. It's all a matter of finding what works for YOU. Good luck in this crazy weight loss/fitness journey! :smile:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I use Combat. Fuels me well for my 4 mile swim in the morning. The only 'problem' is that when I take it in my carry on to China my bag gets the sniffer test because the x-ray can't see through it :D
    I get mine at Costco.
    http://www.costco.com/Muscle-Pharm-Combat-Protein-Powder-5-Pounds.product.100099591.html?pageSize=96&pageSize=96&catalogId=10701&keyword=combat&langId=-1&storeId=10301
  • jessicalott1
    jessicalott1 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use UMP protein powder a lot and love it.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If it fills you up sure. I drink a protein shake on most days. It's not that I can't eat that amount of extra protein. But I like the taste. And I like blending it with frozen yoghurt, like a smoothie. That makes it a nice post-exercise treat.

I also like mixing whey into things like oatmeal to give them a protein boost. Oh and, well, it's serving per serving cheaper than meat (depending on the brand) where I live, so.

Just remember - calorie deficit for weight loss is all you need. Whatever helps you achieve that is great. :smile:
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I occassionally use whey protein in my oatmeal or smoothies but I only do it to reach my protein goals on days that are low in protein intake. Otherwise I would highly recommend to try and get your protein from foods and not supplements or bar. :smile:
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I personally only use them to reach calorie goals or get me through a waitressing shift where I can't sit down and eat my preps. It's easier for me to chug a shake than add extra meat to a meal since I don't eat a lot at once as well. Honestly, it comes down to your goals and what works best for you. If the macros and such fit what you need and you like them, there you go. I'm a big fan of Oh Yeah One Bars and Fit Crunch over Quest though, I just don't like the Quest taste.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They're just supplements to help you hit your protein goals...I don't think in and of themselves they are going to keep you from overeating...they have calories too. Personally I don't find them particularly satiating...they're just supplements.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Real Food > protein shakes and bars.

Most protein shakes and bars are full of really crappy ingredients and are high in sugar which leaves you hungry again after the sugar spike.
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have found 1 or 2 meals replaced with shaklee bars or shakes per day and one heathy meal (400 cals) with snacks of veg or fruit work best for me. I like that i don't have to plan every single meal, they are tasty and filling. Post work out i am more inclined to a banana and water.
  • DamnRod
    DamnRod Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Are they the best, no. They are a better option than anything you'll find on the $1 menu...
    Eat real when you can... make a shake until then!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If I'm looking to lose weight should I consume protein shakes and bars throughout the day to control overeating( in addition to just beginning to work out and make better meal choices?)

Protein Bars and Protein shakes are typically used as a method of fuel for working out. Or repairing muscles post workouts.

I don't know that I [in my own opinion] would recommend a Protein shake in replacement of a meal.... There are things in food that your body needs. Minerals, vitamins, electrolytes, fats, carbs.... all kinds of other stuff that a protein shake may not be able to give you.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Protein tends to help people feel fuller for longer periods of time. You don't have to use protein shakes/bars to lose weight. I've used them more out of convenience( if I'm driving around for work a protein bar will hold me over until dinner) Bars and shakes can also be expensive depending on which ones are you getting. You could always try snacks that are higher in protein if you don't want to spend the money on the bars. Things like Beef Jerky and Greek Yogurt are usually my go to high protein snacks.