Scary...Peanut Butter Update....

Options
This is an article I got from webMD

Peanut Butter Product Recall List Grows
FDA: Don't Eat Products Containing Peanut Butter or Peanut Paste That Might Be Tied to Salmonella Outbreak
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJan. 20, 2009 -- The list of recalled products containing peanut butter continues to grow in the wake of the salmonella outbreak that has sickened at least 475 people in 43 states and Canada.

The outbreak strain of Salmonella typhimurium may have contributed to six deaths, according to the CDC.

Yesterday, the FDA confirmed that the source of the outbreak is peanut butter and peanut paste made by the Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) at its Blakely, Ga., processing plant.

PCA's products aren't sold to grocery stores. PCA only sells peanut butter to institutions and food manufacturers. Some food makers use PCA's peanut butter or peanut paste to make products including crackers, cookies, cakes, cereal, candy, and ice cream.

Many products containing PCA's peanut butter or peanut paste have been recalled. The lengthy list includes, but is not limited to, the following companies:

General Mills: Lara Bar Peanut Butter Cookie flavor snack bars and Jam Frakas Peanut Butter Blisscrisp flavor snack bars
Clif Bar & Company: Clif Bar Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch, Clif Bar Crunchy Peanut Butter, Clif Bar Peanut Toffee Buzz, ZBaR Peanut Butter, Clif Builders Peanut Butter, Luna Nutz over Chocolate, Luna Peanut Butter Cookie, and all Clif Mojo Bars
Kroger: Private Selection Peanut Butter Passion Ice Cream sold at City Market, Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Soopers, QFC, and Smith's stores.
Kellogg Company: Certain Austin and Keebler brand peanut butter sandwich crackers, select snack-size packs of Famous Amos Peanut Butter Cookies, and Keebler Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies.
The FDA's web site has a list of recalls related to the salmonella outbreak.

So for now, the FDA advises consumers not to eat commercially prepared products containing peanut butter or peanut paste, or peanut butter served at institutions, unless they're sure that those products don't contain PCA peanut butter or peanut paste.

The FDA reminds consumers to throw out recalled products in a manner that prevents others from eating those items, and to see a health care provider if you think you got sick from eating peanut butter.

:noway: It's horrible that enough chemicals go into our food these days, let alone when negligence starts to kill people. Hope this helps!

Replies

• greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    This is an article I got from webMD

Peanut Butter Product Recall List Grows
    FDA: Don't Eat Products Containing Peanut Butter or Peanut Paste That Might Be Tied to Salmonella Outbreak
    By Miranda Hitti
    WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJan. 20, 2009 -- The list of recalled products containing peanut butter continues to grow in the wake of the salmonella outbreak that has sickened at least 475 people in 43 states and Canada.

The outbreak strain of Salmonella typhimurium may have contributed to six deaths, according to the CDC.

Yesterday, the FDA confirmed that the source of the outbreak is peanut butter and peanut paste made by the Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) at its Blakely, Ga., processing plant.

PCA's products aren't sold to grocery stores. PCA only sells peanut butter to institutions and food manufacturers. Some food makers use PCA's peanut butter or peanut paste to make products including crackers, cookies, cakes, cereal, candy, and ice cream.

Many products containing PCA's peanut butter or peanut paste have been recalled. The lengthy list includes, but is not limited to, the following companies:

General Mills: Lara Bar Peanut Butter Cookie flavor snack bars and Jam Frakas Peanut Butter Blisscrisp flavor snack bars
    Clif Bar & Company: Clif Bar Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch, Clif Bar Crunchy Peanut Butter, Clif Bar Peanut Toffee Buzz, ZBaR Peanut Butter, Clif Builders Peanut Butter, Luna Nutz over Chocolate, Luna Peanut Butter Cookie, and all Clif Mojo Bars
    Kroger: Private Selection Peanut Butter Passion Ice Cream sold at City Market, Fred Meyer, Fry's, King Soopers, QFC, and Smith's stores.
    Kellogg Company: Certain Austin and Keebler brand peanut butter sandwich crackers, select snack-size packs of Famous Amos Peanut Butter Cookies, and Keebler Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies.
    The FDA's web site has a list of recalls related to the salmonella outbreak.

So for now, the FDA advises consumers not to eat commercially prepared products containing peanut butter or peanut paste, or peanut butter served at institutions, unless they're sure that those products don't contain PCA peanut butter or peanut paste.

The FDA reminds consumers to throw out recalled products in a manner that prevents others from eating those items, and to see a health care provider if you think you got sick from eating peanut butter.

:noway: It's horrible that enough chemicals go into our food these days, let alone when negligence starts to kill people. Hope this helps!
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's terrifying... Hopefully many of the prepared products were cooked or heated enough to kill the bacteria.

My wife has a PB&J every day for lunch, so we went straight to the fridge when we heard!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This makes me glad I don't buy alot of packaged things. I also saw that it is in some brands of dog treats. It probably won't make the dog sick but they are urging people and especially children to wash their hands good after handling the snacks.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Scary! Thank goodness i dont really eat peanut butter! :smile:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :noway: I eat Peanut Butter ALL the time.

So it jars of Peanut Butter are supposed to be safe right?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

Yes jars from stores are safe this time. This company sold only to intitutions and places that made other things with the peanut butter.
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options

So far they haven't come out with any jarred kinds, except for King Nut I think. If you have been eating out of one that you have been using, I would think that is okay. However, I'm not going to be cracking open a new can for a while :grumble:
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Whew!!! :drinker:
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter.....so much crap out on the market right now!! first maple leaf lunch meats now peanut butter..what's next ..contaminated cheerios? jeeeeez
  • tashjs21
    Options
    How do you make your own?? :love:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pb.

I'm having a pb sandwich and chili beans for dinner.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    How do you make your own?? :love:

It's really easy and so much better for you than most of the stuff in the stores. Here's the recipe I use:

Homemade Peanut Butter - Creamy or Chunky
    (Makes about 17 servings)

1 1/2 cups unsalted dry roasted peanuts
    1 tablespoon peanut oil (*I use canola oil), more if needed (depending on desired texture.)
    1/4 teaspoon salt

For smooth peanut butter:.
    1. Mix the peanuts with the peanut oil & salt, and pour the mixture into the food processor.
    2. Process the mixture until it's very smooth.
    3. Store your smooth peanut butter in a sealed container in the fridge. It will be good for about 2 weeks.

For chunky peanut butter:.
    1. Take about 1/4 cup out of your 1 1/2 cups of peanuts and set them aside.
    2. Mix the rest of the peanuts with the oil and salt, and pour the mixture into the food processor.
    3. Process the mixture until it's very smooth, then stir in the peanuts that you had set aside.
    4. Process a few seconds more to create the chunks in your chunky peanut butter.
    5. Store your chunky peanut butter in a sealed container in the fridge. It will be good for about 2 weeks.

I usually add a little honey for sweetness and sometimes I throw in a pinch of cinnamon or cocoa powder. YUM!

Here's the nutrition breakdown per serving (not including the honey or other add ins):

Calories 78
    Calories from Fat 63 (80%)
    Amount Per Serving %DV
    Total Fat 7.0g 10%
    Saturated Fat 1.0g 4%
    Monounsaturated Fat 4.2g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1.6g
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 35mg 1%
    Potassium 72mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 3.1g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1.1g 4%
    Sugars 0.0g
    Protein 2.1g 4%
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Lovelylady, :love: thaanks
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    thanks...I had a CLIF bar yesterday...teh peanut butter crunchy one....I wonder how long it takes to show up?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Yes! I just got a food processor for Christmas. I hadn't even though about it. Thank you lovelylady!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use The magic bullet to make this, it takes 3 minutes, honest to god, and is the best peanut butter ever!!! If you like a darker coloured and little more aromatic peanut butter than roast the peanuts a little longer.

Ingredients
    150gm (1 cup) roasted peanuts
    ½ tsp peanut oil
    ¼ tsp salt

Method
    1. Place all the peanuts into cup of the bullet. Use the flat blade and process until the nuts are roughly broken up.

2. Add oil and salt. Change to the cross blade. Continue to pulse (shaking and scraping the sides of the container every now and then). As you process you will notice the mixture will become more liquid and oily. Process until you are happy with the texture.

3. Scoop the peanut butter into an airtight container. It may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    just one more reason I call Peanut butter the root of all evil :laugh:
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I eat a peanut butter and jelly Mojo bar everyday! Guess I would have been sick by now but isn't Mojo made be Clif?
    Bunny
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ok I looked it up and Web md has a link to the FDA list of products. Mojo bar is on there as well as Luna, Cliff.......check it out if peanut butter is your craving! I will have to find a new afternoon snack. :angry:
    Bunny
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I'm really glad I posted this, especially because when I looked at it, I thought it was scary how many protein and meal replacement bars are on there. Thanks for the pb recipes too! I think after this, I'm making my own :smile: