Anyone in the UK training for the Great North Run or similar

Options
Hi,

I'm training for the Great North Run and was wondering if anyone else on here is or doing something similar? Would be useful to compare training notes as I only started running about 2 months ago!

:)

Replies

• citizen72
    citizen72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am still trying to decide whether to enter the Nottingham Half Marathon in September, I have been running for a while on and off and regularly run 5K, however I am really nervous about committing to run a half marathon as I have never run further than 4 miles.

I am interested in any advice out there before I make the decision whether to go for it.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am still trying to decide whether to enter the Nottingham Half Marathon in September, I have been running for a while on and off and regularly run 5K, however I am really nervous about committing to run a half marathon as I have never run further than 4 miles.

I am interested in any advice out there before I make the decision whether to go for it.

Have you heard of Bridge to 10K? Google it.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    good luck for it, its a great event i did it for 7 consecutive years before leaving the area, the crowds will help you along but you do need to put in the training there are loads of training plans online, runners world magazines website has a fair few listed depending on experience and the fetcheveryone website will be full of people in a similar boat and also has a great online community. my only advice really relates to the day itself, get there in plenty of time so you can start lining up for the loo, take your own loo roll cos by the time you get to them they'll have run out, if you think its going to take you 3 hours to do it (you can walk it in that, i did) stand it the section for those doing it in 3 hours, its very easy to get trampled on by faster people. not sure if the next bits still apply as they were talking about changing the route but john reid road is a very long uphill (with the official photographers on it) with a steep downhill at the end, and just because you've reached the bottom and can see the sea don't think you've finished there used to be about another mile along the seafront before the finish.

have a fantastic time
  • DanniR88xx
    DanniR88xx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    good luck for it, its a great event i did it for 7 consecutive years before leaving the area, the crowds will help you along but you do need to put in the training there are loads of training plans online, runners world magazines website has a fair few listed depending on experience and the fetcheveryone website will be full of people in a similar boat and also has a great online community. my only advice really relates to the day itself, get there in plenty of time so you can start lining up for the loo, take your own loo roll cos by the time you get to them they'll have run out, if you think its going to take you 3 hours to do it (you can walk it in that, i did) stand it the section for those doing it in 3 hours, its very easy to get trampled on by faster people. not sure if the next bits still apply as they were talking about changing the route but john reid road is a very long uphill (with the official photographers on it) with a steep downhill at the end, and just because you've reached the bottom and can see the sea don't think you've finished there used to be about another mile along the seafront before the finish.

have a fantastic time

thanks! ive been running for about 2 months and can do around 6 miles just tyring to push past that but i'm finding it quite hard! i might practise the john redi road just so i know how long it will be and how hilly it will feel! i'm hopeing for a time of about 2:10! i'm quite excited to do it but nervous at the same time!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Royal Parks half in October. There's a very good training plan on the site :smile:
  • DanniR88xx
    DanniR88xx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just decided to go for the great north run and worry about it after! i think if you want to do it then you should go for it there are plenty off training schedules and advice out there! I'm just stuck at about the 6 mile mark - think it might be more mental than anything else!
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do a Half Marathon in Warrington on the same day as the GNR. You're doing really well to be running 6 miles after 2 months, it took me ages to get past 3 miles :smile: Have sent you an add.