college girl problem?

Options
cvstokke
cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
Okay so I'm heading back to my college town tonight for some good fun and am going to be drinking. I already am planning on doing bourbon and diet coke, which is only 65 calories/piece and am setting a limit at 4, which totals 260 cals. I eat 1200 calories/day and don't eat my exercise calories (personal decision - please don't start on that haha) so I would logically only be eating 940 calories of actual food. My question is - do you think I should eat a little more since 260 calories are coming from pure liquid (in the form of bourbon&diet) or should i try to stick to around 940?

thanks yall!

Replies

• kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    just get a good workout in and feel free to eat those calories you burn. sometimes i use my workouts for mistakes or plans like that because at least you burn it off. plus your body can definitely handle more than 1200 calories, so you won't gain, you might not lose, but you should at least stay the same. good luck! and wway to plan ahead!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would eat some extra to make sure you are getting as many nutrients as you can and a couple hundred calories for one day isn't going to hurt anyway
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest to get some kind of work out in before you go. Then make an exception tonight and eat your exercise calories just so you've had a succifient amount of nutrition before you go out drinking...because chances are if you start drinking and don't have enough food in you you're going to want to eat after drinking....and most of the time ( at least in my experience) that leads to bad choices :p
    Have fun though!
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    Yes, and you should NET 1200 calories a day.. b'c think about it this way.. say you're doing an exercise and burning 400 calories, well then you've only taken in 800 calories, easily letting your body slip into starvation mode.. you should eat back those 400 calories, or you need to up your calorie intake...
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Yes, and you should NET 1200 calories a day.. b'c think about it this way.. say you're doing an exercise and burning 400 calories, well then you've only taken in 800 calories, easily letting your body slip into starvation mode.. you should eat back those 400 calories, or you need to up your calorie intake...

You won't go into starvation mode in a single day.

I'd eat more before hand because usually when I drink, I want to eat. But if you eat extra beforehand, maybe you won't be as tempted.
  • cvstokke
    Options
    thanks for the tips so far - i got up early to do a workout on the elliptical and burned about 620 cals so i guess i'll eat back at least some of those at dinner to make sure i'm getting nutrients and not wanting to drunk eat (that leads to bad choices for me too symphonika haha). i can't bring myself to eat all 620 but i'll at least eat more than my base 1200 total today
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate these problems! I'd say make sure to get a work out in before and just eat some of your exercise calories.
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would think one night of lower foods higher liquid cals is not going to kill you or hurt you too badly, but I think it's typically better to get your 1200 from food sources. Nights I've had drinks I've done the same thing though, lowered my food cals to off set it.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said but also...Don't be afraid to go over sometimes for special occasions. Life won't allow you to always stay in your calories range. Try to learn to be comfortable going over and getting right back to it the next day. You'll be fine if you have 6 bourbon diets and french fries. You might feel great after, and obviously you want to avoid it, but you won't be "ruining" your hard work with one night either :)
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat back my exercise calories.. just depends on the kind of day I'm having but if I know i'm going out drinking I will save all of them for the drinks so I would eat around 1000-1200 calories that day and then have a good 500-700 calories free for drinking.

I would suggest not limiting your food intake to 960 or less.. you may get super drunk from lack of having something in your belly!! At least that's how it is for me, lol.

kudos on planning your drinks ahead of time and counting those calories... I do count my drinking calories but never plan ahead, I usually just drink whatever I feel like and then log it. I'm a lightweight though so I rarely go over my net of 1200 on a drinking night haha

have fun :) don't let one night of drinking discourage any weight loss.. get in a good workout the day before, that day, and try the day after (ha you might be hungover!) and drink PLENTY of water. :)
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Once in a while (maybe once a month) on a special day like yours I will decleare an "amnesty day" where I don't count calories at all and allow myself to splurge a little. I will work out to make sure I have some calories available to me and I won't go too crazy with eating and drinking, but will enjoy some of the things that I have cut out, like booze. A couple hundred extra calories are not going to significantly impact your progress. Over the July 4th weekend, I didn't track any calories for 4 days and allowed myself to indulge a little more than normal with alcohol and sweets (not excessively, but more than my new normal), but today I am still down a pound (which is my target) over the same time last week. So...enjoy your time this evening...and don't worry about a few extra calories.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options

You won't go into starvation mode in a single day.

I'd eat more before hand because usually when I drink, I want to eat. But if you eat extra beforehand, maybe you won't be as tempted.

i didn't say in one day.. she stated in her opening paragraph she never eats her exercise calories back.. and that makes her net less than 1200 a day.

i would say dont worry about it.. eat healthy that day.. and drink what ya want.. have fun party it up!
  • cvstokke
    Options
    i really appreciate all the input! yall are so helpful!