How do you eat your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I've just us some to make some buns, small cakes to everyone else.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't handle oatmeal well, which is a real shame because I really wanted to try it in Scotland. They serve it with brown sugar and whisky.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat my dry by the handful when I am driving in the car.
  • brianbgboy
    brianbgboy Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    almond milk, ANIMAL brand cinnamon honey bun whey protein powder and 1 cup oatmeal. blend it well in the blender and drink it down! tastes amazing and loaded in protein!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My kids like it with coconut oil, berries or bananas, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a little brown sugar....or chocolate chips. Then, they have a lityle milk poured over it like hot cereal. Personally, I gag on oatmeal. I hate it, except in cookies. I found baked oatmeal to be a LOT tastier than the ploppy goop my kids eat. It's more cake like.

Good luck!
  • mrsbudryzer
    mrsbudryzer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to eat oatmeal everyday for a long time and then I got VERY sick of it. Just the thought made me want to throw up. And then, just this year, I tried this whole "overnight oats" craze. LOVE IT! Cold oatmeal!!!! I know people probably still warm it, but I really enjoy it cold. You might too :)
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I am blown away at the many different ways to eat oatmeal. I have the 1 minute oats from Quaker. Where would I find steel cut?

sometimes they call it "irish oats" ... rather than the flat rolled oats appearance typical of 1-minute oatmeal, looks more like tiny rice granules.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Pad of butter and a Tablespoon of brown sugar...every morning.
  • TomL19842016
    TomL19842016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually use a little bit of low cal liquid Vanilla coffee creamer.
  • scorpjabo
    scorpjabo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    olymp1a wrote: »
    I love oatmeal and eat almost everyday in many diffferent combinations. I love it with coconut milk and a bit of shredded unsweetened coconut for example, or with fresh strawberries and a tbsp of dark chocolate chips.

Recently I found this recipe and has become my favorite so far:

Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal
    https://dashingdish.com/recipe/brownie-batter-overnight-protein-oatmeal/

open-uri20150722-16-nrd17l?1438027231

Overnight oats are awesome. There are so many recipes out there and some of them can be sweet enough for a healthy desert.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Gluten free plain mixed with Pb2 and flax seeds
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Butter and peanut butter both strike me as strange additions to porridge. I like it with brown sugar, and if I'm pushing the boat out, cinnamon, sultanas and dark chocolate. I prefer it made with milk but if I'm making it for everyone I have to use water.

This is because Mr Garage is a purist. WATER AND SALT.

I mix yogurt and fruit in to my oatmeal after it is cooked. That way you leave Mr. Purist's portion alone and you can enjoy yours any way you like.

• satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am attempting to eat mine this morning and struggling...

I have some blueberries, cinnamon, and butter. It's not good. In any way.

What is a way to make it better, while keeping it healthy?

I add jaggery almonds raisins flax seeds milk in oats. Sometimes I add banana too
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I eat mine plain. I dislike any add ins, to be honest.
  • OhJazmine
    OhJazmine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat it with sweetener and cinnamon, usually with an omelet and bacon on the side.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder in mine and bake them into little "cakes". Very nice and filling.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love oatmeal but it never fills me/keeps me satisfied so i dont eat it... love maple brown sugar with walnuts/pecans or spiced apple.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My oats are going in the meatloaf tonight instead of bread/cracker crumbs.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. Never heard of overnight oats before.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I make porridge with mine (I'm Scottish). I cook them either in milk or water, add a pinch of salt and some cinnamon. I serve with a little full fat milk and honey drizzled over.