First week (awesome), next week a bust -- Help!

Options
Hi all! I love MFP and have had success on several different occasions. I've slowly gained 20 lbs over the summer due to not logging/exercising, so I've decided to start again - hoping to fit back into last year's fall/winter clothes before they're needed. With all that said, the first week of logging/exercising was great -- lost 7 lbs (I know the bulk of that was water weight, but it was nice to see). This gave me motivation to keep true the following 7 days with logging, exercising, and no cheat meals/days. I feel good and was excited about this week's weigh-in only to discover I've gained 2 lbs! What? How? I usually eat 1200 calories/day and currently not eating back my exercise calories. I wanted to get 10 lbs down and then start eating back the exercise calories. It worked before but apparently not this time. Any ideas? I'm frustrated, but staying with it. Just wondered if anyone else ever experienced something similar and how long will this last?? TIA!

Replies

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If your time of month is coming up, that could easily explain the weight gain. Are you weighing your food and logging everything? If so, just keep doing what you are doing.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A 2 pound increase doesn't necessarily mean a weight gain. Its likely water weight. Sodium, stress, change in sleep routine, sore muscles, increasing workout intensity, hormones/TOM are all things (among others) that can cause water weight.

Good news: Water weight gain is temporary. Fat loss is what you're after. Eat at a deficit to lose weight, exercise for fitness, and trust the science. Meaning have patience.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't let one weight ins results discourage you (I know it's easier said than done).
    Did you weigh on the same scale?
    Weigh the same time of day?
    Wearing (or not wearing) the same type of clothes? Or shoes?
    Did you have some food with more salt than normal?
    Is it almost that time of month?
    There are SO many reasons for that 2 lbs and chances are it will be gone again in the next week or so.
    I know for me personally I tend to tack on 2-3 lbs around that time of month and it doesn't go away till it's over. Also if I eat super salty stuff I retain more water. Or if I'm not drinking enough I feel heavier as well....so many factors to consider!
    If you are tracking your food, making healthy choices and working out then I would say keep doing what your doing and give your body a few weeks to adjust :)