Very Low to No Impact Excersizes

Options
I cannot do any high impact or even very low impact. I can do swimming and water excersizes with the water resistance.
Does anyone have other ideas? I need to lose weight to get weight off my knees and legs. Has anyone heard of "chair excersizes "? I have heard of them but not the details. I am 1/2 way there. I am using Almased meaal replacement for 2 meals. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You lose weight as long as you eat less than you burn. You don't have to use meal replacements. You can eat normal food. Just log it in your food diary and hit your calorie goal, and you lose weight.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Recumbent Bike and Elliptical stand out as good choices.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    dscardella wrote: »
    I cannot do any high impact or even very low impact. I can do swimming and water excersizes with the water resistance.
    Does anyone have other ideas? I need to lose weight to get weight off my knees and legs. Has anyone heard of "chair excersizes "? I have heard of them but not the details. I am 1/2 way there. I am using Almased meaal replacement for 2 meals. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Chair Dancing & Sit To Be Fit are DVD brands for seated exercise. I know there are some seated workouts on YouTube.

For DVDs check your local library - here's a website with some video clips: http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/workouts-for-seniors
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Agree that you will lose weight with a calorie deficit, but I totally understand wanting to exercise to get more fit (and even to get some more calories for your day).

Because of his annoying commercials, I hate to admit it, but I have one of those old Tony Little Gazelle Machines, which is a no impact glider. I have the Freestyle version (and I see they still sell them at Amazon, Walmart, etc. even though I purchased mine over 10 years ago for about half the price). I have it because of my bad knees, and use it regularly because I can workout/get some miles while watching TV in my own living room (which is good when it's either too hot or too rainy to walk outside). The Freestyle does have a max weight of 300 lbs (and the lower end Edge is only 250 lbs). I don't think I'd pay for the extras of the higher end version called the Supreme just for the 'power pistons'. IMO, you can get a good enough workout with just the Freestyle.

Even after 10 years, it still works fine, with just battery replacements for the mileage/speed tracker (every 200 or so miles), and some WD40 to stop some squeaks after a few years. It did spend some years folded up and stored beneath my bed, but I broke it out again for working out during this weight loss journey. It has probably been my best exercise equipment investment since it is something I use regularly. I only log about 1/2 the calories it says I burned, because it doesn't seem that strenuous of a workout, but if it is accurate, than I'm glad to be underestimating since that means I have a bigger burn when using it.

I will also support recumbent bikes as I used them for a while when a fitness center had them, but would hate to have get a gym membership to use one (and the machines for the house are pricey). For me, even some ellipticals can sometimes put a slight strain on my knees depending on the machine, so you'd have to try some out to see how you'd do. YMMV. There seems to be plenty of 'chair exercises' online if you just google it.

Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend regarding exercise videos. Start with "chair exercises".

I also recommend a stationary recumbent bike. When I had a bout with bad knees (now fine) I purchased one. That was 3 years and a couple thousand stationary recumbent miles ago. It's a Marcy "7 something or other". $139 from that popular discount store that has 5 or 6 in every large US town and 1 in every small town. I bought mine on-line. Free shipping straight to the house.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    How do you feet about pilates? That is virtually zero impact, and I did definitely notice a slim down in my hips/thighs when doing it regularly. (I am a heavy pear shape)
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have wrecked knees. I find I can do the recumbent bike without even a twinge in either knee.
    On the elliptical, I do feel a little catch in each knee, and then I'll get swelling the next day. It's not as "no-impact" as people would like to believe.
    I can swim.
    I can do yoga poses if I am very, very careful about setting up. Don't spring into them just to keep up with an instructor or a workout video. Take your time.
    I can lift weights, but again, I am very, very careful with my form. Some exercises, like lunges, are right out for me unless I am immobilized inside a couple of bars that I can hang on to. Otherwise, it is just too easy for my knees to pop out of alignment.
    In sum, over time, make a list of "safe" activities for yourself and stick to them. No need to reinvent the wheel.
    As others have said, you can lose weight without exercising at all. But I for one sure feel better in my body when I do exercise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are lots of chair exercises. There is TV show on PBS called Sit and Get Fit or something like that. Our local community center has Chair Yoga classes. I'm sure an internet search would turn up lots of suggestions, including videos & books. Exercising is great even though technically you don't need to lose weight. If you have limited mobility, there are lots of benefits to your overall health.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Recumbent bikes actually hurt my knees. I have no idea why. Ellipticals and arc trainers are good, although I personally prefer the elliptical. If you have good workout pants/shorts walking on the treadmill at an incline is good.

I might recommend weight training as well to strengthen the muscles around the weak joints. Be careful, go slow, get a friend to spot you if you need it.
  • dscardella
    dscardella Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions! I am going to check out the chair exercises. I have trouble walking and have to use a cane. The disease I have deteriorates muscles, joints and bones. I need to lose weight to take stress off of legs. I do pool exercises which has no impact.
    I would love to have those that responded as friends. I couldn't find how to do it. Please feel free to friend me.
    Thank you all!!
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Walk, planks.
  • katthouse499
    katthouse499 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My mom had both of her knees replaced. I understand what your saying as she walked with a cane and each step was painful. She did a lot of swimming as it was mobility freedom for her and she stuck with it. She also used a gazell and a recumbent bike and ate in a deficit . I haven't had this problem but I can tell u what worked for her. She would do her gazelle and recumbent bike in the day and she and her friends would do swimming in the evening. I asked her why she did it this way and she told me if her knees were feeling painful the swimming in the evening seemed to relive pain. Hope this helps. I will also add she is also down about 100lbs now
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    i use some exercises from darebee.com/workouts.html just set the filter to to easy and light and you will find some great ideas. they also have videos and explain/demonstrate low impact exercises to modify the routines. mostly i use the cardio pop, no sweat cardio, cardio light, stakeout (except the quad stretch and hold) and office routines. i have arthritis in neck, shoulders,back, hips, knees and ankles and am 300 pounds over my fit weights, so yeah most likely you can find some exercises to do, i even now can manage a mile and a half walk.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Senior citizen centers have chair exercise classes.. Jane Fonda has some chair exercises too.. google that.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight after I broke my ankle a few years back. The ankle - even after healing - made walking difficult, and the weight I had gained just exacerbated the situation. Add on lack of movement brought on by both of these elements, and I was in a perfect storm for life as a couch potato. ;)

When I started walking, I could barely do a lap around the couch with my cane. But I kept at it and found that every day it got just a little bit easier. I worked my way up to doing laps around the house - from front hall to kitchen to dining room to living room and back to the front hall. Again, with my cane, and again, slowly increasing the number of rounds that I did.

Once I had improved I started walking outside. A heck of a lot less boring that circuits in the house, but I still resorted to that on days when the weather made it unwise/dangerous to walk outside. (Think Canada in the winter!)

Long story short? I went from completely sedentary to be able to walk 5 or 6 miles every day over the span of about 6 months. And the more I walked, the more weight I lost, the more my strength improved and the further I could then go. Losing the weight definitely took the pressure off of my joints - I have a bad knee as well - and allowed me to lose the weight (in conjunction with a calorie deficit from a much improved diet) which made my joints much happier. I still take the cane with me on long walks in case my ankle gets sore and needs some compensation on the way home.

I bought a treadmill last winter to allow me to keep walking when the weather outside dictates otherwise. I watch Netflicks while I walk, which makes the time on the treadmill more enjoyable than it would be otherwise.

I also took up aqua jogging in the summer, which is a terrific workout with no joint stress. Although I can walk forever, jogging is still too stressful on my dodgy joints, so it's nice to be able to get the increased cardio from jogging without the potential for damage. Plus you don't sweat in the pool.

Bottom line? I lost 75 lbs in a year simply by walking more and eating less. I've reached my maintenance goal weight. Never thought I could do this - especially given how slowly I had to ease into it - but I found my gradually improving levels of ability/mobility so motivating that it kept me on my feet and moving forward.

I should also note that I'm in my 60's, post-menopausal, have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and ankylosing spondylitis. Aside from the hardware in my left ankle, I have a large plate and screws in my right leg from a tib-fib fracture ten years ago. I'm a mess! LOL. So I wasn't exactly the poster child for glowing health going into this. My point, though, is even given physical limitations, there *are* ways you can continue to improve.

It just might take a little longer. :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If you are just trying to avoid exercises that put pressure on knees there are a few cardio machines at the gym that just use arms- there's one that you sort of pedal like you would a bike but use only your arms. There's also one that has a rope on a loop and you can stand or sit and pull the rope down over and over as if you are climbing it but only uses upper body movement. There's also TRX bands that you can use to take weight of your knees and help with balance and perform body weight exercises more easily.
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I realize that walking is low impact, but despite my bad knees I am able to walk. I started out with 20 minutes April 2015 and have been up to 75 minutes plus hills for some time. However! I walk in the woods, not on pavement, and wear good shoes - Asics Gel.

Recumbent bike is no impact and easy on the knees. I've never belonged to a gym that didn't have these bikes.

recumbent-bike.jpg

Here are the knee exercises my doctor gave me. I incorporated them into my yoga routine. All beginner yoga will be no impact.

ia2d9i5vo3pi.jpg

I had to do these for physical therapy after ankle surgery when I was physically unable to put any weight on my legs. Can confirm that they're extremely easy on the legs.