Can we have a civilized debate on breakfast? To eat or not to eat!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I would take Harvard's opinion well above my own. lol

Those aren't Harvard's opinions. They are just the publisher.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I need to eat breakfast because otherwise I'm hangry and difficult to be around. But just because I need breakfast doesn't mean it is the right plan for everyone. Do what works for you.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    DanerTee wrote: »
    So, I dunno what to think about the whole, breakfast is the most important meal of the day vs CICO, doesn't matter what or when, but matters how many calories you consume.

Reason I ask is, I have a fairly low target of 1330 cals per day, and I find that if I skip breakfast I have more calories for lunch and dinner. My trigger craving time is the evening, so if I am forced into a light dinner because of breakfast and lunch, I am much more prone to binge eating. If I skip breakfast, which is a time of day I'm legit not hungry, so I don't miss it, I can eat more in the evening and avoid having a craving AND hunger to contend with.

Am I screwing myself in some way? Is this an OK thing to do? Has anyone out there skipped breakfast and continued to lose weight just as fast as with breakfast?

Thanks!

To each his own. Some people like to eat breakfast as it keeps them full until lunch, other people I know skip it all together because their stomach's don't tolerate food that early in the morning. As long as you are hitting your calorie and nutritional needs you should be golden OP. It sounds like you've identified something that works for you to keep you from binging at night and that's awesome.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    You can eat it if you want to , but you don't have to eat it.

For me, personally, I'd have to have around half my daily intake of fiber and about 1/3 of my fats and protein to make a breakfast last.

"Harvard's" opinion (actually it was one of their bloggers) is that calorie counting apps like MFP aren't helpful. That pretty much did it for me. Just because a blog carries the name of a prestigious institution, that doesn't make it more valid than the opinion of any other schmo.
    This. SO much this. "Calorie counting doesn't help"--- errr, no thanks.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Breakfast being the most important meal of the day was the creation of the marketing department of a breakfast cereal manufacturer no? Kellogs IIRC?

Therefore. Eat it or don't, whatever works for you. On workout days I need it. On days I don't and have plans for bigger meals later in the day, I happily skip it.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member

"Harvard's" opinion (actually it was one of their bloggers) is that calorie counting apps like MFP aren't helpful. That pretty much did it for me. Just because a blog carries the name of a prestigious institution, that doesn't make it more valid than the opinion of any other schmo.

Which article was this? Link?

Only thing I could find for calorie counting was them recommending it: http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/calorie-counting-made-easy

and this NYtimes article referencing a harvard study using it, stating that macros and nutrients need to be included into the calorie counting: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?_r=0
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Breakfast being the most important meal of the day was the creation of the marketing department of a breakfast cereal manufacturer no? Kellogs IIRC?

Actually, I think it was the USDA (Dept of Agriculture) and was designed to sell the products from the farms that they were supporting (but I may be wrong on that...)

For the OP - I eat breakfast every day, it's just that Monday thru Friday, I don't eat it before noon (on days that start at 4:30)... I eat breakfast at the normal time on he weekends because of family commitments (or else I would eat it much later then as well). If it works for you to skip breakfast, then by all means, skip it.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    I do understand you questioning because it's been pounded in our brains that breakfast is the most important meal because it gets your metabolism going... yada yada yada.

Without knowing anything about IF, I have found that I do prefer skipping breakfast most days and those end up being the days that I'm successful and see progress. I thought maybe it was just a fluke, but then heard about IF.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    I got into Intermittent Fasting some years back and found it a useful tool for calorie control and it might even have reduced my body fat in weight maintenance though I can't say for sure.
    The fat loss could be from other actions I engage.

Best of luck to you, and remember, breakfast is for sissies...
    DEBATE OVER ---> :p sorry...another one of my silly attempts at humor... :s

• Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ...and I'd like to see the writer's personal results related to health and fitness.
    Sometimes those with the loudest opinions have the worse results - especially when they toss around a heavy name....
    >>H A R V A R D---H A R V A R D---H A R V A R D---H A R V A R D<<
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I love breakfasts every morning. If I didn't have breakfast, I'd be eating my lunch at 11:00am as I'm so hungry by that time. I never used to eat breakfasts and I could go till 2pm till eating, but then I would eat and eat and that helped me put on more weight.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Eating makes me feel all heavy and gross, I ha e far more energy and clarity during the day now I don't eat then.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    There is no most important meal of the day for every human.
    I function better spacing out my calorie intake throughout the day. Do what helps you function best.
  • BonnieP824
    BonnieP824 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm never hungry so "drink" my breakfast- carnation breakfast essentials either regular or sugar free. On weekends we do eat a bigger breakfast after church, but I do 2 meals a day (plus snacks) then anyway instead of 3.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hunger hormones change with eating patterns. If you usually eat two meals a day, you will be hungry twice a day. If you usually eat three times a day you'll be hungry three times a day. If you eat six meals a day you'll be hungry six times a day, and so on.

Earlier in life, I used to not be hungry for breakfast and would regularly skip it. But the fact was I was eating an absolute *kitten*-ton of calories at night. There's no wonder why I wasn't hungry the next morning.

I do agree with others that, all else being equal, if you eat the same number of calories as you would otherwise eat, and if you are not insulin resistant, or pre-diabetic or diabetic, then meal timing comes down to personal preference.

But, here's the thing. A whole lot of people who are overweight and less physically active are indeed insulin resistant, or pre-diabetic without knowing it. These conditions usually have no symptoms and can carry on for years without being discovered. Having blood sugar spiking up and down wildly every day isn't doing these folks any favors.

I haven't read the Harvard articles that the other poster linked to above, but they may be worth a read. Food for thought. Making informed decisions about how we eat is easier with more information.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    minizebu wrote: »

I haven't read the Harvard articles that the other poster linked to above, but they may be worth a read. Food for thought. Making informed decisions about how we eat is easier with more information.

Yes, but that doesn't make all information informative...

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    minizebu wrote: »

Yes, but that doesn't make all information informative...

True.

• nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    This one seems pretty simple to me....if I'm hungry I eat. If I'm not I don't. I find patterns as you have and just go with them. I skipped breakfast and seen what it does, I've eaten breakfast and seen what that does. I'm still fighting with some habits and learning about my body every day. Weight loss isn't about starving yourself or sticking to some crazy strict plan. I personally feel that although you'll lose weight, it isn't sustainable so what's the point in going through all that pain to just put the weight straight back on again. Do what works for you.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Such great insights on this forum, you guys rock!