Kids are afraid of the blender

Options
Help! Last time I did mfp I did some protein shakes and serious cardio/weight training with great success. 4 years later I'm a new mom to twin girls who are terrified of the blender and give me no time for real cardio and weight training. Never been a blender bottle kind of protein shake girl. Have a feeling they wouldn't be thrilled with it either but we could probably make do. I liked my protein shakes ice cold and with fruit to hide the grit. What am I missing? They are also afraid of the coffee grinder but I can't live without that. I grind my beans after they go to bed. Can I make smoothie protein shakes the night before too? Currently using strawberry flavored mix. Allergic to chocolate so those are a no go if you had recipe ideas

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sure, try making them the night before. They might lose some of the froth ones of zblrbder shake. Try it & see what you think.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Start making your smoothies again, and tell your kids they have to start getting used the noise. Or put them into another room with the tv or radio on.
    My smoothies only take 40 seconds or so to blend, so only a short amount of noise.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My 11 month old got really upset the first few times I used the blender around him. Then he got used to it. He didn't really like the vacuum either but he got used to that too.

Eventually they'll see that the big scary noise isn't going to hurt them and eventually they won't even notice.
  • mochi622
    mochi622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I let my boys sleep in in the morning so I have my blender set up in my garage so the noise doesn't wake them up. I have a little counter for it and my crock pot (so it doesn't smell up the whole house all day when I'm using it) all pluged in so all I have to do is bring out the full canister blend it up and go.
    Otherwise I agree that the girls will get used to the sound eventually, you are not hurting them by using your blender. Actually you are helping them by taking care of their mommy!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    you can get a wand blender, they are much quieter than a standard blender
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    They'll get used to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eat food, no blending required...or they'll just get used to it. My kids hate the vacuum cleaner but I still vacuum...they get over it.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    remember those days... my son was terrified of the car wash LOL...still took him though and secretly chuckled sometimes.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Make it fun, make up a story about it, have them sing to drown out the noise or find another way to distract them. You won't be doing them any favors by letting them keep the blender from going in your house.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If they are old enough, let them add some of the ingredients. Let them push the buttons. Put some ice cream in it for them and make a milkshake. They will love the blender then.

ETA: or get a video of it and send it to Americans Funniest Videos and win 10,000. :smiley:
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My son was afraid of the vacuum cleaner when he was little; he got over it. Go ahead and make your smoothies, the kids will get used to the noise.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Listen honey, there's certain things in life that your kids will just have to get used to in order to be well rounded children. If they are scared of the blender, you know that is a baseless fear so you'll have to teach them to deal with it. Same as if they where scared of the vacuum. Would you never vacuum again or only vacuum at night if they cried because of the sound? Of course not. It's life. There's going to be loud noises. In order to have well adjusted kids, you'll have to let them just be scared and learn to get over it.
  • amymurray12282
    amymurray12282 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My 4yo is sound aversive, so I understand! Can you make a game out of it...see who can cover their ears the best?
  • amymurray12282
    amymurray12282 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One question I don't see asked anywhere....how old are your girls?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Listen honey, there's certain things in life that your kids will just have to get used to in order to be well rounded children. If they are scared of the blender, you know that is a baseless fear so you'll have to teach them to deal with it. Same as if they where scared of the vacuum. Would you never vacuum again or only vacuum at night if they cried because of the sound? Of course not. It's life. There's going to be loud noises. In order to have well adjusted kids, you'll have to let them just be scared and learn to get over it.

Agree.

And never, ever let the kids rule the roost!
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would never let a child dictate if I used a blender or not. There's a time when you just have to teach your kids to deal with things like loud noises. Let them cry alone in a room about the blender, they'll get over it.
    But i guess there's always some people that will use any excuse possible as to why they can't reach their goals.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    sgautcher wrote: »
    Help! Last time I did mfp I did some protein shakes and serious cardio/weight training with great success. 4 years later I'm a new mom to twin girls who are terrified of the blender and give me no time for real cardio and weight training. Never been a blender bottle kind of protein shake girl. Have a feeling they wouldn't be thrilled with it either but we could probably make do. I liked my protein shakes ice cold and with fruit to hide the grit. What am I missing? They are also afraid of the coffee grinder but I can't live without that. I grind my beans after they go to bed. Can I make smoothie protein shakes the night before too? Currently using strawberry flavored mix. Allergic to chocolate so those are a no go if you had recipe ideas

Protein shakes are not required. You can just eat food that fits your calorie goal.
    You could try making shakes in advance and see how you like them.
    My dd was absolutely terrified of the vaccum cleaner as a young toddler. It did not even need to be turned on. She grew out of it. I did not have to vaccum around her to "toughen her up" for that to happen. You decide what is best for your kids in your house.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of when I was little. I used to think the car's windscreen wipers were snakes. Lol... Didn't stop my mom from switching them on when driving in the rain though... :lol: