Pregnant ladies need your help!

Options
Peep_chic
Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
I discovered I'm pregnant this week. I think I'm about 5 weeks prego. I've had my calories on
maintaining for a while. I've heard in general that you should add 300 calories if you're pregnant
but would that be right now? or on the second trimester? Is it a general number or does it depend
on weight and hight? I'm having an appointment soon but I wanted to
know now. Its not like I want to starve until I'm told I can add more calories.
When did you add yours?

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My healthy eating has gone to the dogs. The only healthy thing I want to eat due to food aversions is fruit. All animal based proteins gross me out, and I have little motivation to exercise. I don't know what is going wrong here with me. I used to love vegetables and salads, the last salad I ate I threw up. Just eat healthfully and log your cals, about 300 is good above maintenance. Doesn't really matter your height, it's only 300 cals, not 3000.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    First Congratulations! Second, this early you don't really need to worry about the extra calories but don't keep them cut for weightloss. Many women lose weight in their first trimester any way due to food aversions and morning sickness. Change your goal to "maintain current weight" and then try to eat that and continue your exercise as long as it's pregnancy friendly exercises. It is true you should add 300 calories a day but you don't need to add that for a while. The baby is still so small that you shouldn't really 'NEED' to add the extra calories until your starting your second trimester. You should pick up the "what to expect: eating healthy during pregnancy" and obviously "what to expect when your expecting" are both really good and should answer most of your questions.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    COngratulations! I wasn't really hungry the first trimester. I added extra calories in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. You might want to check out babycenter.com as there are some good informational articles on pregnancy diet as well as many other topics.
  • erinkelly2
    erinkelly2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!! I do not think that you need extra calories yet but I would not be cutting calories. It is best to discuss your specific needs with them but there are lots of websites and books on healthy eating while pregnant.
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing as I also just found out I'm pregnant (also about 5 weeks!)

Think I will just switch to maintain for now, haven't had any sickness, yet...
  • Sandeeday
    Sandeeday Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow Congrats I just found out I'm preggo too ;) must be something in the water
    I have no appitite and loose weight this is #4 when I'm preggo I have to force myself to eat.
    So I try to eat healthy and try to up my calories I end up upping to higer calorie foods to get enough in.
    Good luck your body will figure it out and you will get on track with what works.
  • NewLeafEats
    NewLeafEats Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I really think that's something to dicuss with your doctor, but if I were in your situation, I'd just set for maintenance calories, but also keep intuitive eating in mind. If I've used up all my calories but am still hungry, just eat something healthy. Or whatever you're craving. Haha. Don't make a big deal if you go over, but don't make a big deal if you don't eat "extra" or don't eat "all" your calories if you're genuinely full. Eat as well as you can, but honor your hunger and your cravings. :)