Increased exercising = 5 pound weight gain? Digestive proble

Options
Hey everyone. I started an exercise regime about February at 142 pounds or so at 5'2". I've been doing well and last month I weighed in at 131. My diet hasn't very changed much (it's mostly just portion control--I still do eat crap more than often. I have mfp set to 1500 cals 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat as a general guideline. I usually lost 1-2 pounds about a week after my period ends...but since my last cycle (2 weeks ago) I've been gaining weight. I weighed in at 136 this morning. The only thing can think of that I changed is that I started working out MORE and burning more calories on average.

Another thing is that I haven't been able to go to the bathroom as easily...both on terms of urination and defecation. I've been drinking more water (because of increased exercise of course), but I still I'm having these digestive problems. Before, every morning I had a bowel movement, and the past two weeks ive had to take laxatives two separate times to relieve the bloating. I don't understand why I all of a sudden have to take laxatives at all.

In February when I was 142, my measurements were 38.5-28.5-39 or something. At my low of 131 it was 38-26.8-37.8. At "136" now it's 38-27.2-38.2. Why am I getting bigger with more exercise (cardio)?
Also I play ITG 9s, 10s and 11s for my workout. This is what it is if you don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K94Di3t6lVk&sns=em

Next week I'm going with all of my friends to a water park...I wanted to be under 130 for the summer and now...grrr.

Any advice?

Replies

• codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Are you eating more calories to make up for the extra calorie burn?
  • islandlil
    islandlil Posts: 2
    Options
    it sounds digestion related alright-I can gain/lose 4 pounds in a DAY if I have issues!

Try some more fruit or take some aloe vera capsules/juice-good for regulating you. I find eating bread or stodgy food, even within calorie allowance can bloat me up so a few days of more salad, protein and less carbs should help
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    No WONDER you're having digestive problems with all of that processed food. Try eating some fresh fruits and veggies. And if you must have it, limit the fast food to once or twice a week.

May I also recommend reading the Dr. Oz books "You on a diet" and "You the owner's manual" to see how those processed foods affect your body.
  • Ver2
    Ver2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yeah I've been eating like 100 more probably. My trainer friend put me on the higher 1500 cal diet rather than 1200 but said not to eat back exercise cals. I also take a rest day per week and I've been working out probably on average 2 hours per day since two week ago--up from 1 hour.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    With the interval training and being 4-5 months into an exercise program (did you work out before at all?) -- you may be just gaining muscle. Be patient, maybe try some jogging or eliptical and see what happens.

As for the bathroom thing...hmmm...I would take a stool softener instead of a laxative. They're gentler, and they still do the job without messing w/your body too much. I've found when I eat Power Bars (which have a lot of fiber), I can relieve that problem when it comes up.

There's also a capsule you can take called "Florastor" that helps get your digestive system back on track. It's basically a ton of probiotics (the good bacteria found inside us, and in yogurt), and since it's completely natural, there's no side effects at all. It's kind of expensive (about $1 a capsule), and where we live you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter even though it doesn't need a prescription. Our dr. put my husband on it after a bad stomach flu to get him back on track, and it really works.

Hope something here helps!! Hang in there.
  • Ver2
    Options
    Oh I've been eating clementines, but I didn't log them -_-

I've never really stopped eating processed foods though so why was it okay for 4 months but not anymore?
  • Ver2
    Options
    Tina, I didn't start working out at all until 4-5 months ago...as for muscls, I dunno, I still look pretty flabby! I'm definitely going to try that florastor. I don't care how much it is if it will put my body back on track. I might actually had a stomach flu...this started happening after a big Chinese wedding dinner
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah I've been eating like 100 more probably. My trainer friend put me on the higher 1500 cal diet rather than 1200 but said not to eat back exercise cals. I also take a rest day per week and I've been working out probably on average 2 hours per day since two week ago--up from 1 hour.

Ok, a few things i noticed... You consistantly way over eat your sodium. You eat about 3500mg - 4000mg in sodium because all you eat is fast food and processed foods. Excess sodium will retain water. Second, you eat ton's of simple carbs (white carbs) which can turn to fat really quickly. It also appears you under eat your proteins and over eat your fats. It's not just calories, it's about the types of calories you eat. I bet if you clean up your diet, you will see results. Also, if you exercise more, you need to eat more but you need to eat more of the right stuff. Try to start eating more eggs, chicken, lean beef and get rid of all the fast food and sugary drinks. Protein shakes and bars are really good to have. Also, if you exercise more, then you should eat more caloires. Below is my perception on eating exercise calories back and how I calculate my daily caloric need. If you need help with your diet, feel free to send me a private message or post more. I am always looking to help people.

Here is my perception on the matter. I actually use this site just to track my calories. I use a different method to determine how many calories I should be eating and suggest it to many. According to this website, if you use their calculations, if you workout and burn 300 calories, than you should eat an extra 300 calories that day because the site has already built in a deficit for you. The more you have to lose the bigger an acceptable deficit is but the closer your goal is, the smaller your deficit should be. This is because the more muscle you have, the lower the body fat, the more fuel you body needs to sustains it's functions. Also, a deficit is should never been more than 1000 calories a day (which would allow for 2 lbs per week loss) but it more acceptable to do 1 lb a week or 500 calorie deficit. Additionally, a woman should eat not less than 1200 net calories. This is the amount of calories after you workout. So if you burn 500 calories, you need at least 1700 calories; men should be no less than 1500-1700 after workout calories from my research. Also, a large part of these calories should be driven by protein based sources. The ammino acids in the protein is what stimulates muscle growth. The more muscle your body has, the more calories you burn at rest.

My approach looks at Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept 24 hours, for me, my BMR is 2000 calories. I then mutliply it by my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE); how many calories I should eat to make up for daily activities (walking, working out, etc) to get a total number of calories. Because I do a program like p90x, I multiply my 2000 calories by 1.725 which equals 3400 calories. This amount of calories is the amount I need to eat to maintain weight. I back off 500 caloires as my deficit and eat 3000 calories in a day. This is the website I use.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

I then go into a custom setup under my goals and set my daily intake for 3000 calories (well I will starting sunday, right now it's 2800 because I haven't officially started p90x until sunday). Additionally, to follow the p90x food guide, I set up custom ratio's. I do 45% of carbs, 35% of protein and 20% for fats. As I progress, I will lower protein and increase carbs. This method has worked for me and others I have worked with on the site. MFP just makes it simple for anyone to come on and lose weight. I take more of a scientific approach to weight loss. When I started I was 210 & 18% body fat. Now I am 189 and 12% body fat and hoping to break single digits within 3 months.

Cliff notes: if you go by the sites calculations, you absolutely should eat back your workout calories as they preload the deficit. If you go by the more scientific method, you don't have to worry about it, it's already figured in your number.

Good luck everyone.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    it looks like you maybe need to adjust what you eat SLIGHTLY (I eat out almost all of my meals too by the way so i'm not criticizing that) -- you probably need to consciously add fiber in the form of fruits or veggies OR there is something you ate more of this last few weeks (maybe due to upping your calories you made different choices?)

Like for me, I had a weekend last month where at the end of it I thought I'd gained back ALL the weight I lost -- wasn't THAT bad but I totally bloated up. Looking at my food diary it was because I ate a LOT of beef and pork (there was a BBQ Tasting event for charity Sat afternoon and the next day I had shepherds pie) that day - with sugar/fried food (bbq sauces and fries/onion rings). Those are things I didn't grow up eating much of - my family is very healthy food wise and I didn't grow up eating like that - when my mom made steak for the family she made 2 steaks for 4 of us, and we always had rice and a vegetable with it (never fat-laden mashed potatoes or sweet white rolls). And we were lactose intolerant as kids (my sister is still very lactose intolerant, I handle it better if I don't have much) so we didn't really have milk, cheese, ice cream, dairy fats in general.

When I eat a lot of 'american' type food - cheese bread meat heavy meals, I do NOT digest it very well. When I eat like my family - some rice, some veggies, some protein - I digest it a lot better (Actually maybe too well, I'm kind of hungry if I only eat like that all day).