feeling discouraged :(

Options
I'm about a week into my diet and exercise. I've been diligent about staying within my calorie allowance and I've bee doing 30 day shred for 5 days straight. I'm up 1 lb since my last weigh in. I was hoping to see a loss after my first week.

Has anyone gained after their first week? Did the weight loss come after? What should I be doing differently?

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think what you're doing is great.. and I had the same problem. I was waking up and doing 30DS every day and it took me about 3 weeks to start seeing a constant lose. Just keep at it, I know it can be tough seeing the scale go up or not budge,but it will, trust me.
  • abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I was doing the 30DS I definitiely wasn't losing any weight (because of all of the muscle you're building), but I was losing inches! So be sure to take your measurements - probably a better indicator of your journey anyway.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! It could be anything - water weight or muscle or a number of other factors. Keep at it - it will drop! Good luck!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! It could be anything - water weight or muscle or a number of other factors. Keep at it - it will drop! Good luck!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What needs to be done differently is that you need to give yourself more time! It will take a few weeks (4-6) before your body acclimates to the changes and starts showing results. At this point, you might be retaining some water - this usually happens when someone starts strength training. Additionally, make sure to measure your waist, hips, etc. weekly as well as weighing in on the scale. Often times you'll lose some inches and not necessarily pounds.

Keep at it, and you'll start seeing results in no time!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Often, when you first start working out, your muscles will hold on to water to help repair the muscle. So, don't worry about the weight right now, it will come off. Measure and keep doing what you're doing!
  • nana_b
    nana_b Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm about a week into my diet and exercise. I've been diligent about staying within my calorie allowance and I've bee doing 30 day shred for 5 days straight. I'm up 1 lb since my last weigh in. I was hoping to see a loss after my first week.

Has anyone gained after their first week? Did the weight loss come after? What should I be doing differently?

I have yet to lose any kg/lbs. However, my gears/threads/outfits fits loads better! Perhaps your weight gain is muscle. This is a good thing! ;)
  • change_happens
    Options
    Hi. I personally don't find the shred a cardio workout. My heart rate just doesn't stay up, this is why I never ditch my cardio for any exercise that has weights involved. Andyou have to remember that building muscle can make the scale go up. You should start seeing some tone and feeling the difference when you put your clothes on. Hang in there, keep on moving! :-)
  • dc_amaryllis
    dc_amaryllis Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Everything that was said makes sense. I guess I'm being impatient. Hopefully the scale will move down in the coming weeks. I do feel stronger, so I'm probably gaining more muscle. I feel pretty good in the morning, like my body is a bit "tighter". I'll start taking my measurements.

Thanks again for the support. You guys rock. Feel free to add me. I can never have too many friends or support. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, and get a measuring tape. You'll have this from time to time, but you may see progress in other ways instead.
  • StaceyRN07
    StaceyRN07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The hardest step is the first one. Stay the course. You body will catch up.