Proper Breathing While Running, Help!

Options
ukhennin
ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
So I'm on week 4 of c25k. That's the week where you start running more than walking. I'm having a hard time finishing the 5 minute runs and I think the breathing has a lot to do with it. I try to inhale for 3 strides and then exhale for 3 strides, but by the end of the 5 minutes my body just wants to huff and puff inhaling every one stride and exhaling every one stride. Is this just something I'll need to get used to? Are there any useful tips for learning how to breathe properly while running? I sort of wish I would have started concentrating on breathing properly earlier in this process, but nothing I can do about that now. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear some answers on this. This is what I've had trouble with too.
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    BUMP

good question....i'm on week 2 run 2...I was so surprised that I was able to run for a minute and a half but was damn proud of myself for getting through the 6 runs!!!
  • rutho590
    rutho590 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    none here - but I will be watching for a good answer - I have the same problem - try runner's world online?
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I try inhaling through my nose for a few stride, and then exhaling for a few also. But after running a long time I kinda get to the point where I can't do that. If my lungs want me to breath a certain way, I do it. I try to still keep my breathing deep, and if I am huffing and puffing a bit I try to take a deeper break every once in a while. I run 3.5 miles and it hasn't killed me yet! I don't know if I am doing it "right", but it will kinda vary from person to person I am sure.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to run myself... but i had read an article that said if your breathing is too heavy when you are running just slow down. your body needs to build up to that level of effort. That little bit of advice has improved my running 110%!
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    FWIW, I naturally inhale and exhale unless I develop a side stitch, at which point I inhale and exhale more like you guys are describing. I have actually never heard of "learned breathing" while running- swimming yes, but not while jogging.
    FYI I run 10-15 mi/ per week and am training up to a half marathon this fall. I will be interested to hear any answers on this as well I suppose.
  • sweetness48
    Options
    I was the same way when I started running. The more you work at it, the easier it will get. If you feel uncomfortable, try slowing down your pace. As your breathing gets better, you can work on upping the speed. When I run I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. Don't know if this helped any but I tried! :) Good luck with the C25K!
  • DanniR88xx
    DanniR88xx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    from what i've read try to inhale over 2 strides and exhale over 2 strides. try using both the nose and the mouth to breathe in. It does take a while for the breathing to regulate and I had problems when I first started out. try opening up the chest so the lungs can get as much in as possible - it will come in time!
  • conkmunson
    Options
    Hello - I'm a personal trainer and a runner, and I've trained a lot of beginners. This is a common problem. The best thing to do is to focus on the *exhales*, then let your lungs just naturally re-inflate on the inhales. As soon as you start to concentrate on the inhales, you get into the slippery slope of huffing and puffing. So concentrate on big exhales... and don't worry if they're loud!... and then relax on the inhales. And speaking of relaxing... also be sure that you are relaxing your body, especially once you start to get tired. Do a scan of your ankles, hips, shoulders, and your hands (yes, your hands!!), and notice if you're holding tightness anywhere. Let it go. Good luck!!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i've been running for years now, and yeah, if you don't have your breathing together, it can be quite challenging to complete your course. what works for me is variating my breathing. i inhale through my nose for 2 counts, exhale 2 counts, breathe in through my mouth 2 counts, exhale etc. and just keep alternating. it gives you something to keep your focus off of the actual running and in focusing on your breathing it can also help your stride and pace improve. hope this helps!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, but I have asthma. When I take my inhaler beforehand, it helps this problem massively.

What I also do before running is sit down for a few minutes, clear my mind, and just breathe, it sounds weird, but concentrating on inhaling and exhaling for 5 minutes when just sat down makes a big difference to me.

PS I do the same thing - 3 strides exhale, 3 strides inhale. Have you tried doing it every 2 strides? It may be that now you are running for longer, you are runnign slower to try to maintain the distance? x
  • ukhennin
    Options
    So from the sounds of it so far, I don't need to worry about it too much. And if I start struggling I just need to slow down.
  • Melsy7
    Melsy7 Posts: 30
    Options
    Honestly, I think your breathing will naturally improve as your running and fitness level improves--I know it did for me. I wouldn't concentrate or worry too much about the breathing aspect, unless you really feel out of breath, in which case I'd advise you to slow down a bit on the longer intervals. When you go back down to the shorter intervals, I would go for more speed. I think that will also help your breathing and building your endurance.

Hope this helps!
  • Bullly
    Bullly Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    By the looks of it, your restricting your breathing. Try breathing in for 2 strides, out for one. Trying to go 3 and 3 is just impossible!
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You will def huff and puff. This is something that will adjust as you keep pushing and working through it. I now can run for about 20-30 straight. I first started out, I could barely run a couple of min w/out need air. But your lungs will get stronger as you keep going. Challenge yourself to go a lil harder each day, and you will see your breathing and endurance will get stronger. As you run focus on your breathing and trying to get in a deeper breath between the shallow breathing. But really I believe it comes with time, don't get discourage. Your body just isn't use to running, but trust me you will adjust if you keep pushing through. Breathing is so much easier for me now b/c I kept going
  • CarrieLincoln
    Options
    Great Tips and question! I love to run but more of a sprinter and would love to run longer distance. I really like the tip on focusing on exhaling. I will be trying that in my cardio as well as I am not a big fan of intense cardio but I need to do it! haha
  • MeliaBrianne
    MeliaBrianne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but you might be getting your heart rate too high. I run with a heart rate monitor and try to stay in my70%-80% when I'm running. If my heart rate gets too high, I'll start huffing and puffing and get a stitch in my side. When that happens I try to slow down my pace, to grain control of my breathing. Remember to breath natural, don't try to restrict your breathing. Breath is power!!!

Also, there is such a thing as a runner's wall. There is a point where you're lungs burn and you feel like you can't go on, but you have to break through the wall!!!! Once you get though it, you feel like you could go forever!

Hope this helps some!
  • ukhennin
    Options
    I'm no expert, but you might be getting your heart rate too high. I run with a heart rate monitor and try to stay in my70%-80% when I'm running. If my heart rate gets too high, I'll start huffing and puffing and get a stitch in my side. When that happens I try to slow down my pace, to grain control of my breathing. Remember to breath natural, don't try to restrict your breathing. Breath is power!!!

Also, there is such a thing as a runner's wall. There is a point where you're lungs burn and you feel like you can't go on, but you have to break through the wall!!!! Once you get though it, you feel like you could go forever!

Hope this helps some!

Great response. I have a hrm but I've mostly just used it to track my calorie burn. I'll try paying more attention to what range I'm in.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Read my blog post, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

If you find it to hard, go slower. If you still find it too hard GO EVEN SLOWER! The speed will come, I promise, just keep moving for the time you plan to.