1st 5K tonight

Options
I just finished the C25K on Wednesday and tonight is my 1st 5K road race. Should I do anything special to prepare for this race?

Replies

• bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Not really. Maybe drink a little more water today. Something light to eat an hour or 2 before the race. Don't eat anything tonight that would upset your stomach. I usually eat plain spagetti and parmesean..... tradition
  • dikent
    dikent Posts: 24
    Options
    Just make sure you are well hydrated. I chew gum during my 5K's to help with my mouth getting dry. Good luck and have fun! You will feel so awesome when you cross that finish line!
  • fatlass70
    fatlass70 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing the C25K and good luck with the race tonight.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    congrats on finishing the C25k!
    Good Luck on your 1st 5K.....I am sure you'll feel awesome!!! :bigsmile:
  • Shannon1023
    Shannon1023 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Good luck and have fun!! I can't wait to do my first 5k!!
  • stephmn
    stephmn Posts: 18
    Options
    Congrats! The best thing to do is drink plenty of water throughout the day. Have a great time and be warned... You will be HOOKED for life! :)
  • AlisonMacKay
    AlisonMacKay Posts: 112
    Options
    Just make sure you are well hydrated. I chew gum during my 5K's to help with my mouth getting dry. Good luck and have fun! You will feel so awesome when you cross that finish line!

great idea about chewing gum. My mouth always gets dry when I run.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Grats.

Try a banana an hour or two before your 5K. Good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Eat a lite meal a couple of hours before, stay hydrated and RELAX!

You have done the training, you've put in the hours to prepare, nothing you do now will make much difference except getting to the course on time.

You may as well relax and enjoy the day!

When you are running, DON'T get sucked into someone elses race... too many people try to keep up with the race leaders and burn themselves out in the first mile. Run your own race and concentrate on finishing.

Oh and HAVE FUN! Organized events are great opportunities to meet other runners. You can make some interesting friends this way!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Plenty of water, but not so much that you have a desperate need to tinkle halfway through the race. Although I've found that to be GREAT motivation to run faster! :laugh:

Rather than gum, I like to carry seedless grapes when I run. It's as juicy as sip of water, but I don't spill it down my face, neck and shirt like I do when I try to drink and run.

Relax and enjoy. And report back!!!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Get a good night's sleep, stretch well, drink plenty of water, eat some complex carbs and protein, and have fun! I've done four now and I am hooked! And the chewing gum thing is the best advice! I don't run without it!
  • debydoodles86
    Options
    Make sure and drink water at least 2 hours before the race. I hate running with water sloshing around in my stomach!!!! Yuck! Also, I have to have gum and sunglasses when I run (no matter if it's shining or not!!).

Good luck and have fun. The feeling of crossing the finish line is one that you will LOVE! And be warned, it's addicting. Have fun with your new addiction!!!!!!!! :):)