Eating disorder

Options
So ive had a binge eating disorder since I was 14 and I'm now going on 31. I do so good during the day and at work...then I come home and the sugar craving sets in...sugar or salt. Last night I should have stopped at the chicken cantina bowl...but then I ate 2 hard tacos...some cinnamon twists and later a cherry dilly bar from dq. I have to do this!! Over the past year I lost close to 40 lbs working out 5 days a week and following weight watchers. Now I have gained over 10 lbs back and feel just as depressed. Where does this vicious cycle stop? I need help :(

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Are you talking to a professional about the binging? That should be your next step...it IS a vicious, ugly problem...I always think I'm in recovery, then some *kitten* thing happens, then BOOM, everything in the fridge is fair game. (always at nite for me too!)
    This is after 30 years or so of dealing with it. Go talk to someone, worst case scenario they will give you some good tips on how to control your urges...Best case scenario they'll give you some good tips on how to control those urges!! much love, and good luck!! xo
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree; fix what's hurting you inside that's making you binge instead of focusing on the binge itself. Do you have insurance that will cover a psychologist? I found a good guy to talk to through Psychology Today's website. If not, you might want to look for a support group near you that will help you work through things and heal.

Two of my friends have BED; they've both had gastric surgeries and both are still obese. Recently, their doctors wised up and started looking for symptoms of clinical depression; now we swap meds stories. Since they're both my friends, I know that they binge when they're feeling lonely, scared, or hopeless because that's how they were raised - food is comfort. And yet their insurance would rather pay $14K or more to retool their stomach than $100/week to heal their minds. It's messed up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein and calories during the day? What's your weekly weight loss set to and how many pounds away from goal are you?

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Does the professional who diagnosed you with binge eating disorder offer any follow up?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Look into The Beck Diet Solution. It is cognitive behavioral therapy for things just like this. I have found it way more helpful then anything else in terms of fixing emotional eating.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    IMA recovering binger and bulimic. I sent you a request and message.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with binge eating for a little while. I still do from time to time, but its not nearly as bad as it has been in the past. What I have realized is how I feel when I am about to binge. I'm usually hungry. HANGRY actually. What helps is being sure you are eating enough throughout the day. If you are starving when you get home from work, have a snack and 16-32 oz of water about 1-2 hours before you get home. This helps me curb cravings and wait it out until dinner.

So, for me, its really important to pay attention to how I feel before the binge. If a binge starts, its hard to stop, because in that moment I just have a 'IDGAF' mentality. But afterwards, I feel like complete garbage. Keep that in mind, too.
  • doubledigits2016
    doubledigits2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a similar experience. After recovering from anorexia I ended up developing BED, and I'm doing a lot better now. One of the first steps to stop binges is to identify the root of it. CBT, DBT, and other forms of therapy can help with that. Additionally, try to recognize how you feel before a binge, so when you feel that way you can address that feeling and distract yourself with something else until it passes. I'd also recommend seeing a dietitian weekly, one who specializes in EDs. Dietitian appointments can be pretty expensive, but can be very helpful in changing eating habits. Also, since it seems your ED might be interconnected with depression, seeing a psychiatrist could be beneficial too. Maybe try antidepressants or if things aren't changing, try vyvanse or other meds that help with BED.
    I know you must be having a hard time and I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know you'll beat your ED. You can do this <3