Realizing dieting is a life style change!

Options
Hi my name is Niki I've done so much dieting over the years and here I am again. 3 years ago I went on a major diet and was so committed did great lost 80 lbs and kept it off until I broke my ankle and was off of it for 6 months gained all my weight plus some and it's time to get it off and keep it off!!!!! I don't want to do anymore diets I want to change my life style start eating the right things and trying to exercise again after a badly broken ankle. So I'm here for support and any advice that I can get I'm 43 and want to live and not be unhealthy anymore.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    If it's financially possible for you to see a nutritionist or dietitian, that's my recommendation. They can help you put together a permanently sustainable eating plan that meets your nutritional needs without blowing out the calories. If your ankle still hurts a lot, it might help to focus on upper body work for now, or to swim if that's something available to you.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is to find a diet that is easy for you to do. If you're not familiar with "flexible dieting" or "IIFYM", I recommend you check it out.

I know a lot of the "fad" diets are fun to see big losses on the scale, but many of them are just not sustainable long term. Low carb diets are a good example. Not that I'm saying low carb diets are "bad", I think it just doesn't teach good habits for the lifestyle. Not many people will stick to low carb diets forever, and when they come off of them, well... then what?

Try to find something that is simple and natural for you. The more you force it, the less likely you are to stick with it.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    I've tried lots of things. Some worked and some didn't. I always revert back to counting calories because of the freedom of choice it gives. Find the routine that works for you, don't be afraid to change it up if it gets boring. Keep trying and never give up!!
  • wayne206
    wayne206 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've lost 29lbs. Then gained 10 back and said "Whoa". About the only thing that works for me is Whitts smoked turkey, SubWay or salads at home. Bread is my killer. I love bread but eat the best numbers I can. I can't go out to eat without gaining a couple of pounds, but I have to give in every few weeks. I went from 221lbs to 182 and I refuse to go over 190 again. Good Luck everyone.
  • abhinaya12
    abhinaya12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I still try to lose my body, wish me :)

7 Little Words