Stronglifts 5x5...

Options
I've just started going to the gym and I recently heard about the strong lifts program. I am pretty much a beginner. From PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, would you recommend it for a beginner. Is it a good program. Are there any alternative programmes out there that as simple as strong lifts but more effective?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Like all programs, it depends on your goals. What are you looking to accomplish?

I would recommend it, but I'm biased: it was the program I did when I first started. What I would do differently is not advance the weight every session, but maybe weekly. For me, I had never really lifted and a 95 pound deadlift was too much.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, I started with this program as a beginner (I still consider myself a beginner) and still like the program. I love there there are just a few lifts to learn proper form for. Equipment is fairly limited.

Now that I've been doing it more, I do feel the need to add more hamstring exercises. However, this is only because I have not progressed much in the lifts that would help those (I feel my quads doing most of the work). Plus I need to train my body to be more glute an hamstring dominant, so it's really just a personal physical thing that I am trying to overcome.

I have seen definite muscle development, especially in my hamstrings. Even my butt seems bigger too. I never took photos though so I guess I don't really know.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Agreed that it depends on your goals. I also recommend it due to it's simplicity, effectiveness, and quick progression. As a beginner, you're going to get stronger very quickly. A program like Stronglifts is a good program to practice form, and quickly move up in weight. Once your progression slows down, you might want to move on to another program that moves at a slower pace, but for beginners, I do recommend it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's a beginner program...

As far as "effective" goes, it depends on your goals. SL is a program geared towards optimal strength gains...it's essentially a beginner power lifting program.

There are tons of programs out there but picking one would be dependent on your goals. SL is actually really good for building a good foundation of strength whether you intend to get into the whole power lifting thing or not.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    While it would depend on your goals Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginners lifting program that will lay down a solid foundation from which you can move to other things later.
  • Drake940
    Drake940 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I recently lost weight and I feel weaker and look underweight. I want to gain strength as a primary goal but also gain mass to hide the bones in shoulders.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's designed for beginners.

The only other program I know that's just as simple is Starting Strength - it's basically the same thing using 3x5 instead of 5x5. Do Stronglifts for a while and you'll be reducing your sets to 3x5 eventually anyway. On Starting Strength you should be able to increase weights longer without stalling, but if you respond better to volume training then Stronglifts would work better.

The difference is probably so slight it isn't worth thinking about. Just pick one and stick with it until you need to change.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I started it as a beginner. I repeated the first couple workouts a few times to really make sure my form was correct before I started to add weight. I found it easy to navigate the workouts and it kept them simple with it only being 3 different lifts each workout.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm doing SL5x5 and am a beginner. I've been doing it for 2-3 weeks now and am getting slight strength gains (what was hard for me in the beginning is easier now).

OP... bump your calories up to maintenance now if you haven't already before starting a lifting program.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great beginner program, Mehdi has you progressing fairly quickly to start (5lbd every workout) don't feel too bad if you have slow that down a bit, we all progress at our own rates.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I agree it is definitely a great beginner program, especially if you start with the recommended starting lifts. However, plateaus happen and you may find yourself struggling at a certain point but that's ok.You will get stronger :)!!
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had zero experience with weight lifting and this is the program I went with. It's super simple and strength gains happen quick.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    There's also Phrak's Greyskull. It's also a pretty simple program, but has progress/deloads built in.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since May and I really like it. I have made a good amount of progress. I'm trying to lose weight now (50lbs to go) and I'm trying to keep my strength.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It's great for beginners, and feel free to tailor it a bit for your own goals - don't listen to Mehdi's " my way or the highway " nonsense, there isn't a one size fits all routine
  • rufus_187
    rufus_187 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had a sports based lifting past. After injuries and life getting in the way I started over with SL5X5 (after 10 years off). Bought the app and run the program by that. I don't really get much into what Mehdi ("creator" of the program) does or says. The style of workout has been around for a long, long time and it works. It will make you physically and mentally stronger. It will give you a good base. I think the app was $10 and it gives a plate calculator, warmup sets and weights, and accessory lifts. Linear progression is a beautiful thing.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've done Stronglifts (SL) before and, after a 3 yr hiatus, am now doing Starting Strength (SS).

Not sure what Medhi says now but when I started doing SL 5 yrs ago, he was saying that you didn't need warmup sets/reps and didn't need to rest between sets/lifts, which was nonsense. I also found 5x5 too much to do at max weights, especially if you are doing warmup sets, as you should. Ended up doing more and more contrary to what Medhi was saying you should do and I wasn't doing SL anymore anyway. So, I dropped it.

Switched to SS because I liked what Mark Rippetoe (Rip) had to say in his book/videos and articles, which (unlike Medhi) give very detailed explanations (seldom provided by Medhi) on how/why to do specific lifts, which was backed up with specific facts based on body geometry, research, common sense and/or experience, and also because he uses a 3x5 program (5x3 w/power cleans, which I also preferred to the rows in SL) that takes into account the effort expended on warmup sets and because he encourages taking as much time as you need to rest between sets/lifts in order to recover.

So, I'd encourage anyone considering SL to take a look at SS as well. They both have apps and websites but Rip has posted many more videos and articles on the Net than Medhi has. Those videos and articles are very valuable teaching guides and many of them have been cross-linked and referenced on MFP.

Medhi use to have a forum, where you could interact w/him and other members, that you had to pay a fee to join (I was a paying member) but he has since dropped it to focus (according to him) on his app develoment.

SS has an active forum that's free to join and Rippetoe monitors and responds to questions in his own subforum. Rip can often act like an a-hole but at least he's there to respond to questions. Just make sure it's not a "stupid" question or has been asked b4 or you'll probably get a rude reply. Fair warning. LOL!!
  • rufus_187
    rufus_187 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really like Rip and SS. I follow Rip on youtube. Wish I was able to do SS. I've been a fan of these kinds of programs since my football days and studying Bill Starr. I'm not really suppose to be doing any squats or deads because of the shape my back is in (several bulging discs, bone spurs, and pinched nerves from hips to base of skull) but they haven't caused any extra pain. Can't do any form of cleans.

Mehdi is simply a marketer, not a very physically strong "expert". The program works but it has since Reg Park and Bill Starr (as well as those that came before them).

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I ran SL5x5 after years of circuit training/cardio training. SL helped me build my strength into superhero status (for me anyway). I see it as the best program for building strength fast as well as learning programming.

I stalled after 6 weeks of progression on SL. I was ready to move on but I wanted to keep my powers. So I tried various techniques including supersets, complexes, plyometrics and accessories as well as heavy ascending lifts to help maintain my strength base (and perhaps add a bit).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    rufus_187 wrote: »
    Mehdi is simply a marketer, not a very physically strong "expert". The program works but it has since Reg Park and Bill Starr (as well as those that came before them).

Agreed.