Post Workout Meal Questions

Options
akafful
akafful Posts: 64 Member
Hey guys,

How should it be after my workout to have a post workout meal?

I heard it's 30-60 minutes, but what do I do if it has been longer than that for whatever reason?

Replies

• SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I try to have a protein shake no more than 45 minutes after a workout on the weekend. Weeknights I make sure dinner is either ready when I get home (slow cookers are a life saver), or will only take no more than 30 minutes to prepare. If you don't think you can eat a full meal after a workout for whatever reason, try packing filling/high protein snacks when you leave the house in the morning. Meal planning in advance will make sure you have food available to you when needed.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters much. I think that 1 hour window thing is a myth.

I watch my protein over 24 hours. I think it works fine.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as it's reasonable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Post workout meal is so overhyped by the fitness industry. If you're an elite athlete or body building competitor, then sure, but if you're the average person, there's very limited science showing that HAVING to consume a meal within 30-60 minutes will be more optimal in the long run than if you ate it 1.5 hours later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Post workout meal is so overhyped by the fitness industry. If you're an elite athlete or body building competitor, then sure, but if you're the average person, there's very limited science showing that HAVING to consume a meal within 30-60 minutes will be more optimal in the long run than if you ate it 1.5 hours later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^^This, this and this...
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think there is some kind of "anabolic window", but it's nothing like the 30 minutes or whatever was once believed, it's more like 4-6 hours or something. So if you don't plan on eating anything in the next several hours, it might be a good idea to get a protein shake in post work out, but you're also not going to waste away if you don't.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Great research review by Alan Aragon about the "Anabolic Window" in the Journal of the International Society on Sports Nutrition website: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5