Need some smoothie/shake suggestions please

Options
I am getting into things after packing on. I have half a tub of rocky road (basically chocolate to me) and a tub of vanilla ON Why protein. Bought some frozen rasberries, blueberries and mango. Forgot the rasberrys and am willing to add to the variety. Also read a bit today and seems I should have picked up some baby spinach. We always have fresh bananas at the house. Need some ideas what to make.

Last couple days I did scoop of chocolate protein powder, a banana, tablespoon of peanute butter, a cup of milk and a few ice cubes. It was really good but was starving within hours. Think I need to slide in a piece of toast or something but any actual cooking for breakfast is out of the question.

Thanks for the ideas.

Replies

• VictoriaEllis1984
    VictoriaEllis1984 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Strawberry, mango and coconut smoothie
    250 ml unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen mango
    100g FAGE 0% greek yogurt
    2 tbsp coconut flour
    Sweeten to taste (I use xylitol)
    This is about 200 calories. Makes about a pint.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My favourite at the moment is:

Greens (spinach, kale, rocket, whatever I have)
    Celery or cucumber or both
    Avocado
    Chocolate protein powder
    Mixed with water.
  • caradack1985
    Options
    But it has to be said that I use smoothies to up my veg and protein intake.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like an avocado, pineapple and mint combo.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen mixed fruit. Usually mango strawberry and pineapple. Mixed with almond milk and my pea protein, spinach and spirulina.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen mixed fruit. Usually mango strawberry and pineapple. Mixed with almond milk and my pea protein, spinach and spirulina.

Pretty much what I got, bunch of frozen fruit to mix up. Didnt realize I needed greens so will try baby spinach since it seems to have the least impact on flavor. I use regular old cow milk, love the stuff. We get the 2% variety.
  • caradack1985
    Options
    You don't need to use greens if you don't want to.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Protein powder
    banana
    yogurt
    egg whites
    spinach
    avocado
    chia seeds
    PB2
    coconut oil
    Vanilla almond milk

The coconut oil, chia seeds and avocado help with the fullness factor.

ETA: I make mine thick so i have to eat it with a spoon, so only use 100-150ml of milk
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Blend 2 cups water and 2 cups packed leafy greens like spinach or baby kale. Add 1 banana and 2 cups frozen fruit of your choice. Add 1 serving protein powder and 1 TBSP ground chia seeds. Add 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt. Blend. Serves 2, approx. 16 oz per serving.

You can add more protein powder and chia seeds if you want to up protein. If so, you might need to add more water or other liquid of your choice.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Kale
    Lemon
    Ginger
    Cucumber
    Green Apple
    Chia seeds
    Hemp seeds
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I experiment a bunch. Recently got some chocolate protein powder and decided it was a mistake to use it with fruits like pears and peaches, as it covered up their taste too much. Today's experiment, then, was a beet, half an avocado, protein powder, frozen cherries, mint, unsweetened cashew milk, spinach (less than usual since I wasn't sure about the other ingredients), and extra water to get the consistency right.

At first I thought it was a shame to use the avocado this way, as I love them and the flavor isn't apparent, but the texture is really amazing so while drinking it I changed my mind. Delicious.

More usual is a plain or vanilla protein powder with pear, peach, summer squash, greens, plus some kind of herb (mint, basil, sage, and anise-hyssop have all been successes).

Strawberry, watermelon, cucumber, greens based ones were also delicious.

Just think about what you have that would taste good together and try it. My goal is always to add protein (sometimes I use nuts or hemp or flaxseed too) and vegetables, as any breakfast of mine would have protein and vegetables.
  • jcbro19
    jcbro19 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    http://beautifulandhealthyyou.com

Has many recipes including smoothies and shakes! This is my go to website for all my food needs! The admin also comments and interacts regularly allowing my to ask her questions!
  • plantbasedparty
    plantbasedparty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favourite lately is
    1 scoop vega choc protein (or any chocolate protein)
    2 tbs tahini
    1 tbsp cacao
    1 banana
    1 c rice milk (or whatever milk or milk alternative)
    and sometimes add in some avocado!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I used to have breakfast smoothies so here's what I put 1 scoop sunwarrior protein, 1 banana (yellow), 4 strawberries, 4peach slices, 2 tbs ground flax, 4oz coconut water and ice. Sometimes I added some lemonade like 4oz instead of water. This would keep me full for 3-4 hrs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try starting with a frozen banana. That's what hubby does with the surplus bananas before they turn. He peels them and puts them in a ziplock in the freezer. Won't help with the satiety but his shakes have the most amazing thick texture.
  • beccapineapple8756
    beccapineapple8756 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My fav one at the moment it more like an ice cream than a smoothie.

Vanilla protein powder
    1 frozen banana
    2 packed cups baby spinach
    Tablespoon peanutbutter
    And a handful of blueberries
    And a dash of unsweetened almond milk

I make it really thick and if I have patience I might stick it in the freezer for 10 mins sprinkle chia seeds on top and eat with a spoon :) usually have it for breakfast and have to remind myself to eat lunch.
  • carabelle207
    carabelle207 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A few things I haven't seen mentioned that I like to use are apples and carrots. Both are cheap (for produce). Carrots have an earthy flavor so they may not be for everybody. I like them best when paired with sweet fruit to balance out the flavor.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    4 Strawberries
    1 Banana
    1 kiwi
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1/2 cup of water

Add ice till you are happy with the thickness

enjoy.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    1/2 Banana,cup of Almond milk, protein powder.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Made a strawberry banana this morning: cup of 2% milk, cup of frozen strawberries, a banana, two scoops of vanilla protein powder. Very tasty. I'm really enjoying this. So much I am ordering a Ninja when I get paid tomorrow. Then I can add some chia seeds and the like to the mix. Am going to pick up some baby spinach when we go shopping this weekend. Got a feeling this is going to turn into a hobby for me.