NSV - Clothes I can wear, clothes I'll never wear

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
It's my own fault really. Despite losing 20lbs, I'm still the same size - UK size 16 (US size 12). The problem was I'd never admitted how large I'd become, and the next size up would have meant failure and relegation to "fat shops".

But scouring my wardrobe, it turns out many of those clothes were too tight to do up. Or had elasticated waistbands. Or were in foreign sizes so no-one would know they were bigger.

And I'd let a couple of size 18s in, because, you know, there's those brands that always come up small. Notably my two pairs of work trousers.

It was when those work trousers started to fall down as I ran for the train that I decided to check out some more challenging clothing that had been glaring sullenly at me from within my wardrobe.

I started with the skirts. One after another, they all slid on. Even that green one from New Look, though it put up a bit of a fight.

Then the trousers. No word of a lie, I must have 10 pairs of jeans and only wear two pairs. Again, they all fit, without attempting to cut me in half at the waist, even when I sat down. Cropped ones, wide legged ones, boot-cut ones, high-waisted 40s-styles ones, they all slipped on. There were even a couple of pairs I'd bought without trying on in the sale, which still had the label on. New clothes for free, yay!

Then there was that one last pair challenging me. The skinny black bootcut pair of jeans. Last time I tried them, it took two teams of a dozen horses to pull the two edges together. When I did them up, all the fat in my entire lower body spilled over into a muffin top the size of a truck tyre.

Dare I? Could I?

I did. I could. They slipped past my thighs and hips and the button slid closed with nary a murmur nor a bulge. I could even sit down and breathe. At the same time.

And yet, there was still that one pair of cream-coloured, cropped linen pants, brand new, still with the label in, that I just can't wear.

I'd bought them in the summer sales last year. Size 18. That size must fit, I figured. They were my last hope for cool summer legwear, yet when I got them home, they gave me such a fearsome camel toe and muffin top that they should be banned by several international conventions.

They remain unworn, label still in, ready to be sold on. This year they are way too big and are going straight to a charity shop!

Replies

• dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Great post! That's awesome. Keep up the good work. I have some clothes in my closet with tags on that I can't wait to get into. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Fab post! ROTFL!!! :laugh:

Well done Berry!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Gotta love that!

PS - I like your writing style.
  • MillyKulla
    Options
    Wow! I am genuinely happy for you. Someday that will be me, too!
  • busymomyof3
    Options
    such a wonderful fealing, isn't it?! i LOL'ed at your camel toe... too funny! Keep on rockin the weight loss!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Love it. Looking forward to cleaning out my stored clothes as well. Great job!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You are funny. Love reading about your escapades with your clothes.
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have some clothes with tags, too!!! I was in denial about my real size. Hopefully, I will be wearing some of mine soon. Congrats!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, well done!

Let me know when you're a UK 14 - I have 2 bin bags full of lovely clothes looking for a good home!
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love your post and your writing style! Being able to wear clothes that haven't seen the light of day for years is such a great feeling...I go through my closet every months and retry on all the pants. I love that's there are only a few that don't fit just right, some fit just right (and haven't been worn in 5-6 years) and most of them are too big :) Good luck and continued success! liz
  • BerryH
    Options
    Let me know when you're a UK 14 - I have 2 bin bags full of lovely clothes looking for a good home!
    You're on, thanks! With everyone changing sizes so quickly, we could really use an MFP swap shop!
  • darconnor
    darconnor Posts: 49
    Options
    I am literally laughing out loud. Is that a tear falling? I even clapped my hands in glee (yes, at my desk...at work)! I think I own your closet! I have recently had the same experience. I had been carrying the extra weight for so long most of my clothes were fat clothes. US - size 16 and 14W. And they were tight. Because I refused to buy an 18. But I think, like you, one snuck in! I am passing all of them on to someone who is taller then me who needs some transition clothes as she, too, is on this journey. I am now actually in a US 14...and can wear and sit down. And breathe. At the same time. (I even have a vanity sized 12 that I can fit.) I had to acquiese and go by a few transitional items. Because for once and for all...I am getting this fat monkey off my back!

Thanks for making my day with a funny and oh-so-real post! Happy losing!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great post. I have clothes in my closet that I'm longing to try on again one of these days. And yes, I have sent items with tags on to the thrift shop.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I am now actually in a US 14...and can wear and sit down. And breathe. At the same time. (I even have a vanity sized 12 that I can fit.) I had to acquiese and go by a few transitional items. Because for once and for all...I am getting this fat monkey off my back!
    Fantastic, congratulations on your weight loss and size shrinkage! I swear the moment I'm in the next size down, I'll run around with the label hanging out all day!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Keep the faith. All of us got clothes with the tags on them also.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Haha great post! I LOL'ed the entire read through.
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fab post - you're doing brilliantly and are a real inspiration!
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I LOVED reading your post! What a success story...soon enough, you'll have to shop for a whole NEW wardrobe, so don't get too attached to all of those "NEW" clothes!!!!! :laugh:
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success and thank you for making me laugh... We've all been there :laugh:
  • shellgoff
    shellgoff Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    great post!!!

I had a similar experience a few months back when I was going back to work after staying home for 3.5 years with my son! I finally fit into the clothes that I wore to work BEFORE I had my son! It was a good feeling! And now some of those pants are big on me!!! Great feeling!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!