Jog Intervals In my Power Walks

Options
A couple months ago I started adding jog intervals into my power walks, because I was having trouble getting my heart rate up just power walking.

At first I could only jog for about 30 seconds at a very slow pace, so I started with a 30 second jog/2 minute power walk interval. I gradually worked up to a 2 minute jog/2 minute power walk interval.

Lately I have become more comfortable with the jogging part. I went to a very hilly park today and did a 7+ mile jog/walk. I jogged on the flat/down hill parts and walked on the up hill parts. There is one flat part that is almost three quarters of a mile, and I was able to jog that whole part pretty easy.

here is a link to the session if you want to look at the stats and tell my what you think...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1323734609

Keep in mind that I'm 59 years old and only at what I consider to be a "fair" fitness level. I was told that I have COPD a couple years ago, and they gave me all these inhalers (which I never used), but if you look at my heart rate in the stats you can see that I kept my heart rate well in the cardio zone the whole time, and my breathing was fine.

One of my goals is to be able to jog for an hour non stop and I think I can do it.

Replies

• moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    great work!
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done.
    You are very inspiring
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @bcalvanese

I think you are probably closer to long term jogging than you think, especially if you went to flatter areas to do it. I've seen how your power walk speed have increased, and the fact that raising your heart rate was getting harder is another good indication that the cardio level has increased quite a bit.

Walking quickly reaches a point where it takes more energy than running. Though the muscle groups change some, you will probably get past that fairly quick.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Thanks @robertw486 . it seems to be coming along pretty good so far. I just want to be careful because when I first started, I got too hard core and hurt my knee and pulled both groin muscles. I'm taking it slow to give my joints, bones, and muscles time to develop.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Wow, well done.
    You are very inspiring

Thank you.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Very good!

A lot of people learn to run by following the "Couch to 5K" program, which is basically walk a bit, jog a bit, repeat, then do it again, jogging a bit longer. It's a 10 week program.

Looks like you're doing that without being told!

I completed it in December 2015, aged 48. I've since run two half marathons, both without stopping.

Learning to run in this way works!
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, and earplugs to yuor phone, I would suggest the app Zombies, RUN
    https://zombiesrungame.com/

Its really fun, and youll get a good story as well. There is over 250 episodes now.

You never get too old to run, or to listen to a good story.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

One of my goals is to be able to jog for an hour non stop and I think I can do it.

If you think you can do it you can. One of the keys to running is approaching it sensibly (especially as we reach a certain age.....) which you`ve done. Gradually increase your running intervals & keep the pace conversational......you`ll amaze yourself!

I didn`t run my first 5K until I was 52 and now I`m running half-marathons and Olympic distance duathlons. (but I have not been diagnosed with COPD either.....stay in touch with your cardiologist)

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Very good!

A lot of people learn to run by following the "Couch to 5K" program, which is basically walk a bit, jog a bit, repeat, then do it again, jogging a bit longer. It's a 10 week program.

Looks like you're doing that without being told!

I completed it in December 2015, aged 48. I've since run two half marathons, both without stopping.

Learning to run in this way works!

My husband and I started the C25K yesterday. We are 46 and 49 respectively. I've been exercising regularly most of my adult life and regularly for over a year so I would consider myself to be in fair to decent shape. Husband has a very active job but doesn't exercise but he is still in fair shape. We were both pooped after, but were very proud that we completed the first day. Always inspiring to hear about us "older" folk doing these things and being successful!
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Here is an update...

I have been working at it and here is my workout from Sunday...

movescount.cn/moves/move132641994

I ran 5 miles non-stop on this one.

The coarse is about 7.5 miles. I power walked the first 2.5, and ran the last 5 miles.

I stayed in zone 5 (90 to 100% of my MHR) for 51 minutes, and my heart felt fine. I also notice my breathing feels much better in zone 5 now. It feels like it used to feel in zone 4, and zone 4 feels like zone 3 used to feel like. Zone 3 feels like I'm barely breathing heavy at all.

I think my fitness level is improving...:)