What exercise is the best?

Options
I'm just starting to workout and have gotten all kinds of conflicting advice. I enjoy working out on the eliptical; however, I was recently told that weightlifting is better. Any advice from those that have lost LOTS of weight?

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    You need to have a good balance of cardio and weight training, so I would say a little bit of both.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You definitely need both and you will need to change it up every 6-8 weeks so your body doesn't get used to the same thing or you will plateau.

Muscle burns fat and changes the shape of your body so weight lifting is very important and shouldn't be looked at as only for men. There are so many benefits to weight lifting.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    A good balance of weight lifting and cardio is best - however, ALL exercise is the best =)
    As long as you are exercising, you are making yourself become a healthier individual!!! WTG!
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    Yes, you need both. I do both not the same day but I try to combine them. There are some videos like THE FIRM that do that. Where you can do Cardio and Sculpting at the same time. Start little by little then you will find you want more and more ;)
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. I will weight train one week for a couple of days, then the next week, I will mountain bike several miles, and play some golf. Pushups are a great strength training exercise that can be done anywhere. I love them. I'll do anywhere between 750 -1000 a week. Just mix it up and dont stick to one thing. You've dont want your body getting used to one style.
  • GeminiMel02
    GeminiMel02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. You need a good balance of both and you need to constantly surprise your body otherwise, it's able to adapt and then you find yourself on a plateau. :) Keep up the solid work and keep moving in whichever way you find you enjoy the most! At the end of the day, you have to do exercises you'll stick with and at least semi enjoy or you'll be easily discouraged. (speaking from personal experience here)