How do you eat your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I actually found this thread really interesting- oatmeal really only means one thing to me, and that's porridge.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    With a spoon.
  • AudreyHaven
    AudreyHaven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I mix it with vanilla yogurt, cinnamon and let it sit overnight.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I make my own instant packets: old fashioned rolled oats, some of those ground into powder, a tsp of Chia seeds, and then a tsp of brown sugar to each packet. I make some up plain, some with 1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit, and sometimes 1 tbsp of sliced almonds. I don't care for milk of any kind, but I've seen recipes online where you add in either powdered milk or non-dairy creamer. And then when I want oatmeal, I empty the baggie into a bowl or mug and add hot water. Way better than anything I've tried commercially.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mashed banana's, cinnamon, and peanut butter(tiny bit of nutmeg if im feeling fancy)... banana bread oatmeal.

Some mornings ill throw ham and eggs in the oatmeal also which sounds weird since we usually associate oatmeal with a sweet meal but its a pretty amazing combination.
  • wolfalicemae
    wolfalicemae Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Why don't you just buy flavour packets? I cant go without my peaches and cream flavour ☺️☺️☺️
  • kekeke123
    kekeke123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness i loveee oatmeal!! my favourites are:

fall/pumpkin theme
    30g quick oats
    75mL pure pumpkin
    half an apple
    cinnmon
    nutmeg
    ginger
    stevia
    maple flavoured syrup (walden farms 0 cal is what i use)
    raisins (optional)
    protein powder, i use unflavoured(optional)
    1 tbsp chia seed (optional)

coconut/tropical theme
    30g quick oats
    protein powder (optional)
    mangoes and/or strawberries
    greek yogurt
    coconut extract
    unsweetened coconut shavings (better if you toast them)
    stevia

basically i add coconut extract and stevia to the yogurt and add the yogurt mixture and coconut shavings on top of my oats. then throw in some fruit.

you can add cocoa powder for choco oats, pb2 for a peanut butter flavour. topping with 0 cal syrups is always good. zucchini can be used to add volume, egg whites are also good for volume/protein (id recommend egg whites to get your protein in if you dont use powder), mash up banana and add to your oats (this probably works for other fruits too i dont know?). if you want more flavours you can also go to myprotein and buy flavdrops, apparently theyre good.

• drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats--1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup soy milk in a mason jar in the fridge overnight. In the morning, an extra splash of soy milk + berries--delish.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I put dried fruit in mine, but I've always liked the taste of Quaker oatmeal since I grew up with it. I do love McDonald's oatmeal, as was mentioned earlier. Even with the sugar added it's only 290 calories, a perfectly good breakfast for most people's deficits and maintenances.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Cookies. I make oatmeal cookies. Or I have it savory.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Wow, never knew so many people didn't like it on its own, I've had it all my life and can eat it straight, but then of course my dad is Scottish
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Glorying in the Scottish diet.

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/the-good-scots-diet/

Breakfast was king.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Wow, never knew so many people didn't like it on its own, I've had it all my life and can eat it straight, but then of course my dad is Scottish

I like plain oatmeal; it's just much tastier sweetened.
  • jamiek844
    jamiek844 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats, with half milk half water (milk is a must imo), cinammon, vanilla as well if you like, cook until it is whatever thickness you like then add blueberries and strawberries and salt and eat HOT. I tried cold overnight oats and was near sick
  • crooked6p
    crooked6p Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Chef - can you advise on "baked oatmeal". You can bake in advance, add hot milk and it's a like more like oatmeal cookies. Don't have the recipe but it probably needs to be adapted for all of us.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I add flavoured protein powder to mine, I also add peanut butter and if I plan my calories right then some chocolate too :smile:
  • ConcordDiet
    ConcordDiet Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon half & half and blueberries with Truvia sweetener.
  • MicahPsencik
    MicahPsencik Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Healthy way I do is to cook with water the honey added, only about a tablespoon but it really tastes good with the oats. ... Unhealthy is cooked with half water, half milk and once cooked butter milk, brown sugar/molasses.
  • andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Instead of using water I make mine with skin or almond milk. If I don't use the sweetened almond milk, I add brown sugar. Sometimes I add bananas or blueberries.
  • Sezold5758
    Sezold5758 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually put cinnamon, strawberries, and bananas in mine. Sometimes I'll make overnight oats with almond milk and walnuts, or I'll do natural peanut butter with a banana mixed in