Yoga

Options
I know yoga is a stress reliever, but does it help in weight loss?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Most kinds don't burn a large number of calories, but it helps to build strength, balance and flexibility. Any movement is better than none, and if it's an activity you enjoy and will stick with it it's a good idea.

I do yoga at home a few times a week, alongside running, cycling, swimming, walking and resistance training.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yoga has been an integral part of my life for years. Does it help weightloss. I'd say that it helped me to get and keep going. For me it has acted as a sort of starting mechanism to more high impact excersise. The reality is for weightloss what helps is reduction of calorie intake
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It has for me. I do vinyasa and power yoga though. Gentler types of yoga such as hatha, no I wouldn't say they have much of an impact on weight loss.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I know yoga is a stress reliever, but does it help in weight loss?

Yes and No.

Yes because anything that gets you moving about and burning calories (even just a few) can help create a calorie deficit which is what you need to lose weight.

No because all you need to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat, so Yoga isn't necessary to lose weight.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm on the yes and no wagon myself. For ME I have found it an invaluable tool. I love what it does for me mentally. It will put me in a place in my mind where I can tackle my weight loss problems. And it WILL make you sweat. It helps me to keep my balance (this does become an issue as you age) and forces muscle use. An added side benefit for me is that after about 20 minutes of yoga I feel great and will often move on to my bowflex or a cardio DVD.
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think there's lots of points raised I would agree with ^^.
    In terms of calorie burn, the yoga I do probably makes no difference but it's 90 minutes of evening time when i'm not sitting in front of the TV tempted to snack, plus it helps get me into a healthier mindset of treating my body better and uses muscles I might otherwise miss with just the treadmill.