Maintaining in College

Options
I'm currently about to start my senior year of high school and I lost 30 pounds. I'm finally happy with myself but I'm terrified of college. Will I be peer pressured into unhealthy eating situations (social eating) ? How do I avoid the "Freshman 15"?

Replies

• doubledigits2016
    doubledigits2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing :) As long as you have appropriate portions and balance out eating with classes, work, clubs, exercise, sleep, and other things you have on your plate (pun not intended haha), you should be fine. It'll definitely be a transition and there might be some trial and error, but if you stay mindful about what you're eating, you will absolutely be able to maintain!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've been to college for over two years now and have continued maintaining without a problem so it's definitely possible! Just focus on your studies, feed your body what it needs to stay focused, and enjoy the experience! Just don't overdo it by going to late night parties and drinking yourself to death (this is probably where 80% of the calories come from for those 15++ pounds) and don't opt for a box of tacos from Taco Bell or an entire pie of pizza each night (probably the other 20% comes from binging on fast food).
    Pretty much, avoid doing what common sense will tell you will pack on the pounds. Treat yourself right, get proper sleep, maintain your stress by keeping up with your work, and keep yourself accountable, you'll be fine! If you're in the school cafeteria choose options you know are better for you, and when you do have treats keep the portions reasonable! Also, don't be tempted to eat everything that you see which is free! ;)
  • brialger
    brialger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thank you both so much! :)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    See if your college has a gym (or if there's one nearby) so you can workout in between or right after classes. You will probably eat out a bit, so make reasonable choices when you order. Try not to procrastinate on studying or writing papers, the stress is not worth it. Also have healthy snacks on you at all times. There will most likely be times where you stay late at an event or mingle with friends, so you never want to be without something to eat. And please enjoy your time in college. Even if your friends turn out to be foodies and/or partiers, you can always host some events that don't have to be food related (bowling, movies, mini golfing, game night, sports event, book club etc).
  • hina2398
    hina2398 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just started college two weeks ago and trust when I say there are food places EVERYWHERE! I normally pack/make my own lunch and allow myself to eat it with my friends once a month. It's working out pretty good for me
  • brialger
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    See if your college has a gym (or if there's one nearby) so you can workout in between or right after classes. You will probably eat out a bit, so make reasonable choices when you order. Try not to procrastinate on studying or writing papers, the stress is not worth it. Also have healthy snacks on you at all times. There will most likely be times where you stay late at an event or mingle with friends, so you never want to be without something to eat. And please enjoy your time in college. Even if your friends turn out to be foodies and/or partiers, you can always host some events that don't have to be food related (bowling, movies, mini golfing, game night, sports event, book club etc).

Thank you so much! I was thinking since your dorm is usually a walk away from classes and gyms I would just include my gym clothes in my backpack with my notebook and wallet and other stuff needed for the day then go straight from classes to the gym (or vice versa) to avoid the hassle of going all the way back to my dorm to change (making sure that hassle doesn't prevent me from going to the gym)
    hina2398 wrote: »
    I just started college two weeks ago and trust when I say there are food places EVERYWHERE! I normally pack/make my own lunch and allow myself to eat it with my friends once a month. It's working out pretty good for me

What college do you go to?
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You will be under a lot of pressure to do a lot of things; drinking and eating very very unhealthy things included. The trick is to find people with the same goals as you. This will help keep you motivated. Of course not all friends will have the same goals as you but the ones who don't should be respectful of your goals. If you come across people who don't appreciate how far you've come; DO NOT BEFRIEND THEM. Anyone who doesn't appreciate such a hard journey you've made doesn't need to be a friend of yours. They will be like poison. They will tarnish your success and put you back to where you do not want to be. A true friend will cheer you on from the sidelines even if they aren't walking beside you on the same journey.
  • brialger
    Options
    You will be under a lot of pressure to do a lot of things; drinking and eating very very unhealthy things included. The trick is to find people with the same goals as you. This will help keep you motivated. Of course not all friends will have the same goals as you but the ones who don't should be respectful of your goals. If you come across people who don't appreciate how far you've come; DO NOT BEFRIEND THEM. Anyone who doesn't appreciate such a hard journey you've made doesn't need to be a friend of yours. They will be like poison. They will tarnish your success and put you back to where you do not want to be. A true friend will cheer you on from the sidelines even if they aren't walking beside you on the same journey.

I completely agree! thank you for the motivation (:
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I found it easy to lose weight in college even with the bad behaviors like drinking & sitting around stuffing myself with chips & dip with the other girls on the floor.

In college you walk everywhere. I also went to a BIG school. So taking books for my morning classes & running all over, then walking back to my dorm for lunch, then doing it again in the afternoon, burns calories. Take the stairs when you can, not the elevator. Take a gym class to make sure you move during the day (Most schools require some small # of P.E. credits to graduate anyway). Take another walk after dinner. If you drive to school, park at the farthest end of the lot to force yourself to walk more.

Assuming you want to go to a gym & work out, block out some time on your schedule. Make it a required task like classes, studying, sleep, etc.

The freshman 15 is a combo of many things but the includes the starchy foods that used to be a staple of cafeteria food. Most schools now offer much healthier options including a salad bar. Make intelligent choices.

As for peer pressure, there is a difference between fitting in & genuinely being pressured to do something you don't want to do. If somebody offers you something, try it if you like. If you say no thank you but they keep hounding you, they are not your friend. Drop them & move on. Most good people people will respect your decision to say no. Do be firm in your refusal. Giggling, saying "nooo" in a small squeak or saying "I really shouldn't" but failing to make eye contact reads more like "talk me into it" which is where all sorts of people get in trouble -- mixed messages.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Make sure you workout everyday…that's the big one.. and make rules for yourself…for when and how much you will drink.. and go out to eat.. that's what us old folks are doing beyond college. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Most universities have intramural/gym memberships available for fairly low cost. Also, you will do lots of walking/cycling to class and around campus.

Things that did me in: I was vegetarian and there weren't a ton of options back then--usually just pasta or something else starchy. Dessert was available every day. Alcohol.

The fact that you are already cognizant of it will help you out--try to keep tracking while juggling everything else and you should be fine.
  • brialger
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I found it easy to lose weight in college even with the bad behaviors like drinking & sitting around stuffing myself with chips & dip with the other girls on the floor.

In college you walk everywhere. I also went to a BIG school. So taking books for my morning classes & running all over, then walking back to my dorm for lunch, then doing it again in the afternoon, burns calories. Take the stairs when you can, not the elevator. Take a gym class to make sure you move during the day (Most schools require some small # of P.E. credits to graduate anyway). Take another walk after dinner. If you drive to school, park at the farthest end of the lot to force yourself to walk more.

Assuming you want to go to a gym & work out, block out some time on your schedule. Make it a required task like classes, studying, sleep, etc.

The freshman 15 is a combo of many things but the includes the starchy foods that used to be a staple of cafeteria food. Most schools now offer much healthier options including a salad bar. Make intelligent choices.

As for peer pressure, there is a difference between fitting in & genuinely being pressured to do something you don't want to do. If somebody offers you something, try it if you like. If you say no thank you but they keep hounding you, they are not your friend. Drop them & move on. Most good people people will respect your decision to say no. Do be firm in your refusal. Giggling, saying "nooo" in a small squeak or saying "I really shouldn't" but failing to make eye contact reads more like "talk me into it" which is where all sorts of people get in trouble -- mixed messages.
    Thank you (: Oh it will be clear i dont giggle when someone hounds me too much ill yell at them. Im not a mean person I guess its just a habit or a temper :o Lol
  • brialger
    Options
    Make sure you workout everyday…that's the big one.. and make rules for yourself…for when and how much you will drink.. and go out to eat.. that's what us old folks are doing beyond college. :)
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Most universities have intramural/gym memberships available for fairly low cost. Also, you will do lots of walking/cycling to class and around campus.

Things that did me in: I was vegetarian and there weren't a ton of options back then--usually just pasta or something else starchy. Dessert was available every day. Alcohol.

The fact that you are already cognizant of it will help you out--try to keep tracking while juggling everything else and you should be fine.

thank you both (: