Adding an Egg or Egg Whites to Oatmeal

Options
GingerLee13
GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
I read about adding eggs into cooked oatmeal and it intrigued me. I want to try this, especially the egg white since they're so neutral in taste, but I'm wondering how well it works in make-ahead batches. I prefer to cook a big pot of steel cut oats for the week, but would I want to fold the egg in right after cooking or upon reheating? I'm worried about the texture changing too much and that it would make me want to throw it all out.

Just looking for ways to add a bit more protein to one of my favorite breakfasts. I've already cooked oats with milk and added PB before, but I also want to try maybe adding cottage cheese, yogurt, chia seeds, hemp hearts, beans, and hummus in future bowls. Not all at once of course, I just love experimenting with oatmeal add-ins.

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I cook tub o oats myself every sunday. I would heat up a SERVING of oats, add a prebeaten egg, and nuke until the egg was cooked. Otherwise you may wind up with over cooked, rubbery eggs.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I love adding egg whites to oatmeal. You can either add it to fresh super hot oatmeal and stir through to cook the egg or I usually cook the pats a bit, stir in egg whites then nuke them at half power for about 2-3 mins. Take out and stir then nuke them again at half power for another 2 mins until I get the consistency I like.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I add eggs to my water based oatmeal porridge ... but it is cooked one serving at a time. I whisk my egg into the water, then add the oatmeal and cook in the microwave. Usually add berries to it as well.

If I were doing it with a big batch of cooked oatmeal, I'd probably poach an egg and break it over the top of a serving, then stir it in.
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So, how does it taste?
  • jcook7180
    jcook7180 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The egg whites Actually make the oatmeal a little more fluffy. You can barely taste, just I've been doing this for the past few weeks and will def continue just to get a little more protein.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just tried adding egg whites to my rolled oats yesterday, first time ever, yum and I really like the texture as well. I cooked the oats the previous night, just nuke and add the egg whites in the morning.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    This sounds odd to me, like you might end up with scrambled egg if you weren't very careful. What texture are you going for, like a custard texture? That could work but would need careful control of the temperature and I would have thought reheating would cause it to split and go grainy.
  • meunse01
    meunse01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love Zoats. It adds zucchini (you don't taste it) and egg whites to oatmeal.

I did use a small zucchini, since I just made it for me.
    I added more than 1/2 water to the oatmeal, so it wouldn't burn.
    I also added blueberries and cinnamon. It taste just like regular oatmeal.
    My nutritionist puts chocolate and nutella in hers.
    This makes one serving with 220 calories, 30g carbs, 3 g fat and19g protein.
    1. Grate 1/2 small zucchini
    2. Whip 2 egg whites
    3. Combine 1/2 cup non instant oatmeal with around 1.5 cups of water (you don't want the oatmeal to burn due to a lack of water)
    4. Bring the oatmeal to a boil
    5. Reduce the heat to medium, add egg whites and zucchini. Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes. 6. Add any sweetener or flavoring you want.

The oatmeal and liquid egg whites I use take the calories down to 184 per serving.
  • Jblake_2008
    Jblake_2008 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have recently started adding eggs to my oatmeal. I cook my oatmeal with a tablespoon of brown sugar, cinnamon and just add 2 basted eggs on top. The eggs have salt and pepper on them. I like the sweet of the oatmeal and the salty on the eggs, it was a huge surprise that I liked it so much.
  • alexpn
    alexpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times before, you NEED to add something for flavour when adding eggs to oats! Also, it gets pretty thick and gloopy if you use more than one egg. Eggs and Oats are pretty common in Scotland, not too far from me!