Its impossible!

Options

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It is hard but you can do it.. it is just making the change and getting used to a new routine. All i know about chinese food is that it is doubled fried many times in the wok. I'd stop doing that.. ditch the oil. (use chicken broth). and then I think it would be pretty healthy. At that point just count the calories of the ingredients. Once you get your rice, noodles, and vegetables added into your diary it will be easy.
    Oh, and for eating out.. you have to exercise and save up extra calories.. and truly.. try to limit going out to restaurants so you can be in more control. If you eat out all the time.. it will be almost impossible because restaurant food has hidden calories ..and you'll get frustrated.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So, how often do you eat out? If it's once every week or two, then keep back 200 exercise calories per day, eat lightly on the day before the meal, then don't worry about it. Avoid obviously deep fried dishes and let the fact that you've learnt to eat smaller portions guide you as to when you're full.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Sebani wrote: »
    Eating less means nothing. Yiu dont kniw the hidden crap thats thrown into these dishes i can be completely off.

I can eat half a dish of somethng and it may still be ovee 1000 calories

Are you actually eating half a dish at each meal? If so and you are not losing, eat a quarter as suggested above. You don't have to know the calorie counts to eat less. If your lifestyle includes a lot of restaurant meals then you go by portion size and your weight gain or loss. If you want to use exact calorie counts you stop eating out so often. Your choice.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few weeks. Be as accurate as you can. You may surprise yourself.

Oh, and go take a look at all the success stories. It may be uncomfortable, or take you out of your normal way of doing things, but it's hardly impossible.
  • gambyt
    gambyt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My two cents:

Don't MFP rule your life. Use it strictly for between 3-4 weeks to get an idea as to food values (i.e., how much fat, carbs, protein, sodium, etc.) of different foods. If you are anything like me, then you may tend to eat the same, or similar, meals each week. I happen to eat very similar lunches every day. Even if you go out to eat semi-regularly, after 3-4 weeks, you will likely have a really good idea as to what you can, and can't eat, in order to stay on your goal. Then, use MFP every few days to make sure you are staying on track, or if you are going to a new place to eat.

If I go to a restaurant that I don't know anything about or can't look up, I order something sensible, but I don't let it get me down because I know I'll be on track the next day.

Diet is like working out. If you don't work out or run for one day, that doesn't mean that all your hard work is out the window - it means you get your butt out of bed and get back to it the next day. If your diet crashes and burns for one day, no big deal. Don't guilt yourself over it. Enjoy the meal and get back on track the next day. Just don't make it a habit.

'nuff said.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What, no Princess Bride clips?

I have breakfast at home, which I cook. I have dinner at home, mostly, which I cook.

I have lunch at work, and it consists of junky snacks provided by the workplace. Portion control is key.

I haven't tried to track foods at a Chinese buffet. The only buffet I've visited on this journey was a breakfast buffet and I guessed at remembering what I ate and I know that I logged inaccurately.

That was back in July and I've lost 13 lb since then.
  • NikeSoccRu87er
    NikeSoccRu87er Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Learn what is being added to the foods when you eat out. If it's breaded or coated, don't eat it. If it has a sauce, it's probably a safe bet that it's not going to work on your diet. There are always plain meats available.

If you counting calories, you should know how to eyeball the amount close enough for those dining out times. If you are low carb then learn to spot things that are likely to have added carbs into them.

I mean, you can still be in shape, attractive and successful--and eat a reasonable amount of breaded, saucy stuff (and the like) from time to time. It just takes educating yourself (calories in vs. calories out), practice and control--and not being a gross, pitiful glutton with a lot of laughable excuses. I mean, we're human; not savage animals!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Sebani wrote: »
    Eating less means nothing. Yiu dont kniw the hidden crap thats thrown into these dishes i can be completely off.

I can eat half a dish of somethng and it may still be ovee 1000 calories

If you think the dish is 1000 calories eat half. Go by how full you feel.

I agree with this.

If you primarily eat restaurant food simply learn how to eat the foods you choose and monitor it over a period of time (like 3 - 4) weeks and see how your weight does. If the scale is not moving, perhaps change the amount of food being ordered/served, split the entre with a friend or take home the other half.

Sometimes one of these meals out at a restaurant really is all a person can have for day and perhaps a little more (snacks or small meal at home) and be completely out of calories at the end of the day and stay within their calorie deficit to loose weight.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how being Chinese makes it harder for you??
    We all have to figure out a way to eat well and still stay within our calorie allowance, no matter if that is Chinese food, Italian food, Indian food, Mexican food???....
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If you are insistent on eating a lot of meals in restaurants, I don't because I want to cook it myself and KNOW what's in it, but everyone is different, why don't you google "healthiest Chinese restaurant dishes". At least that will give you an idea of meals that are typically prepared healthier/lower calorie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ask for sauce on the side. And eat out less. Sorry, but that's what it is.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Are you speaking about Chinese restaurants specifically? I don't know about how Chinese restaurants are everywhere else, but here in the Midwest USA there are always choices of steamed vegetables, shrimp, rice, etc on Chinese restaurant menus. .it isn't difficult to go in and choose lower calorie options, and add soy sauce or whatever you want accordingly. Eating out doesn't mean you always have to pick the deep fried options with tons of sauces. What exactly are you ordering at these restaurants to make your counts so difficult, OP?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    you have to make up your mind to do it, I know if I can anyone can, down 40 lbs for 4 years. Others have done it also, just keep reading those success stories!

• MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Anything you do in life is as possible or impossible as you make it! I have lost 44 pounds by logging faithfully and using common sense. If I go out, I try to eat what I know is a lower calorie alternative, but if I want something else...I just eat less. I use the calculator that MFP has, then look at items that are similar and pick one that seems close. I usually use the count that is in the middle, but know it won't be exact. I then make my next few meals a little lower. Losing weight requires changing your life some, no matter what method you use. If you are not ready to do that...maybe this is not the time to start. Seems like a little change in attitude might help.
  • Beyondkhandee
    Beyondkhandee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is a pain in the butt to log at a buffet so I find if I quick count 1000 calories in for the meal I go out to eat at it works for me. I find whenever I go out to eat no matter how hard I try it is around 1000 calories average from soup to salad to entree. And that's only eating half the entree. Good luck. Just find what works for you. There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It is only impossible if you are unwilling to make changes in your eating habits. It doesn't matter what your ethnicity is.

I eat chinese food fairly often. I also eat pizza and Greek,and pasta and burgers. I only have trouble losing weight when my calories in exceed my calories out on more than an occasional basis.