Body fat % scales?

Options
I'm wondering if there is another way to work out my body fat % without having to buy new scales? And how accurate are these domestic "precision scales", anyway? Do you think they are correct in terms of body fat, water and muscle %? Is it worth investing in one?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Scales are very inaccurate for measuring bodyfat
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

There are multiple ways to obtain your current body fat percentage. The most accurate methods are via DEXA Scan or Hydrostatic Weighing. These are generally done in a sports clinic or on physician’s referral.

If you have access to skinfold calipers, a hand held Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis(BIA) device such as the Omron Handheld Fat Monitor or the Fitbit Aria you may also estimate your body fat percentage.

Please note that the use of BIA devices work by sending an electric pulse through your body and may be inaccurate as their readings change depending on your hydration levels.

If you do not have access to these services or products I suggest you use the visual guides below.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I use calipers with 3 site measurements. My scale is ridiculously temperamental at giving a consistent reading.
  • basiliscus
    basiliscus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm using one of those scales and while I don't believe it's accurate (how inaccurate it is I will find out once i save enough money for a DEXA scan), but it's very consistent. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, and it's never been more than 0.2% off compared to previous day. The only few times it jumped by more than that was when I consumed a lot of alcohol a night before. So if you're not interested in 100% accurate measurement but wasn't to track your progressive performance over time, I think it's a good investment
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    That picture never helps me. I look at it and think "well, I'm somewhere between 25% and 44%." And at my heaviest, 100 lbs ago, I would've said the 40-44% looked most like me.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Funny thing about the picture, my stomach looks 40-44% but the rest of me looks 20-24%. My scale says 25ish and my caliper readings (3 spots) says 22.

I really wish there was a place where I live that did Dexa scans.
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I bought one of the cheaper scales, and the weight seems to be accurate but the body fat and muscle %'s are all over the place. It doesn't matter when I weigh or when I've last eaten a meal.... sometimes the body fat % is 38 and sometimes 53%. And my muscle weight ranges from 105 to 115 lbs (220 lb woman, 5'5" tall). Based on the photos above, probably 43% is accurate for body fat. I seriously doubt I am 50% muscle, but I do have waayyyy more muscle than the average woman.
    The body fat and muscle portions of the scale are more frustrating than helpful.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I never trust the body fat % and muscle mass % or water. It may even be off on body weight, who knows for sure. LOL
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use body measurements to determine body fat.
    The key here is to just find an alternate tracking device to measure progress. The scale is great, but it does not tell the whole story. We should all be tracking body fat along with weight.
    Again, the most accurate and easiest system is taking various body measurements and plugging them into a definitive formula. Calipers are great for this.
    Here is a website that teaches you about the various systems and what might work well for you.
    5 Best Ways To Measure Body Fat
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/
    Here is how I track progress using body measurements...
    Body Fat Calculator
    http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html
    GOOD LUCK
    <3