Replies

• taztyme2000
    taztyme2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wanted to eat chocolate chewed it and then spit it out any helpful hints
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and I lost 40 lbs about about 4 years ago honestly I started with small goals, tracking calories, even if I went over my goal, then i gave up sweets (I am literally addicted to sugar) then i added in exercise, I literally started with 10 minutes per day. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon about a year ago and am having a hard time getting back on track. My suggestion would be take it one day, one small change at a time.
  • sbillue
    sbillue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just started this week. I started at 179. My goal is 150-155. At 55, the weight just kinda came from nowhere. I've logged my foods this week. That has helped...next week, exercise! My birthday is in two weeks and I'm determined not to be overweight this time next year.
  • taztyme2000
    taztyme2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes i've lost like 37 pounds so far and 55 and I'm telling you it's been a struggle but I've been doing it for the last two months and I'm really on a roll this week I'm doing detox I just lost 4 pounds because the last three weeks I didn't lose any weight
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    86% dark chocolate. 1 square per day. 60 cals.

Age is only a mindset. Bring all your life experience to bear on this "project".
    61 yo, 147 lost in 26 months. Just RAN a 5k for the first time this morning. 2 years ago I could barely walk 1/4 Mlle.
    We've got this!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 5K, lorrpb!! That's a great achievement!

Dark chocolate is a wonderful treat. I agree with lorrpb.

58 here. I've lost 22 pounds, regained about 10 and am now refocussing. I'm good with food control; not so much with snacking control. :blush:

I also run; started about 4 years ago. I walk a fair amount but couldn't run worth a darn. Now I run 5K a few times a week.

It can be done. Age really hasn't been a factor yet.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Congtats @lorrpb so glad to hear you RAN it. <3

I am another successful loser. Lost my weight at 54/55 and kept it off, 63 now.

Eat a diet that you can maintain long term. I just ate smaller portions of all the food I love.

Have a reasonable deficit (Only do 1200 if you truly are petite), 1 lbs a week is reasonable for most women.

Get plenty of protein, helps with muscle retention.

Move more in everyday life.

Try to do cardio for heart health, and some type of resistance work for bone and muscle retention. Sarcopinia can become a problem as we age, so working on retaining muscle as you lose weight is important.

Losing is the same at any age, one just has to eat less than one burns.
    From when we have finished growing, usually in our early 20's we lose 50-100 cals a decade from our BMR.

Eat your chocolate, drink your wine- just fit it into your calories.

You may find it worth having a check up and blood work done just to make sure you have no medical problems.

Cheers, h.

ps; there are a number of supportive threads and groups for the over 50's on MFP, join in and chat with everyone.