Looking for a reliable/accurate body weight scale.

Options
2»

Replies

• meunse01
    meunse01 Posts: 36 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Why does it matter if the scale is inconsistant? Inconsistency would be random and in the form of +/- error, if you weigh yourself regularly that error would take the form of noise but the signal of your actual weight loss would stand out in the trend from that noise.

Lets say on a given day your scale was off by 4 pounds either too high or too low. As long as you continue to weigh yourself regularly on that scale over time you will still be able to tell with high accuracy when you have lost 5 pounds because your weight measures will go from X +/- 4 to (X-5) +/-4

There is no need for an "accurate" scale...weight is arbitrary anyways, it is the change that is important and even a hugely "innacurate" scale can still be used to accurately measure weight change over time.

That's your opinion, though I feel that precision matters more than accuracy when it comes to scales.

I understand how signal and noise works. But I still prefer to have a scale that gives me precise measurements, where I'm not filtering out noise from the number moving around every time I step on it.

It really isn't an opinion, its math.

If you have something that has a +/- range of error that error is inconsequential to the measurement of a trend over time. Weight loss is a trend over time.

If you measure your weight one week on a scale daily that is off by +/- 4 pounds and you measure 167, 171,175, 172, 169, 168 and then you measure yourself 2 months later over the course of a week daily and you measure 163, 165, 168, 162, 170, 167 then you can tell that you have lost 5 pounds just as well as if the scale was perfectly "accurate" scale that measured you at 171 the first time and 166 2 months later. Weight is arbitrary anyways, it is just a number. Scales can be off but the amount they are off is washed out in the use of repeated measurement over time, it that doesn't matter that they are "off" because when they are off they are off in both directions (+/-) and consistent measurement will wash out that noise same as with the use of any instrument.

What does it even mean to talk about your "true" weight? The number isn't that meaningful in and of itself...it is the trendline that has meaning, not the scalar values. That trendline will be the same whether it is a 5 dollar thrift store scale or a 250 dollar "precision" scale.

If your scale has high error you can just use a moving average to smooth out the error easily at zero cost and minimal effort.

This is easy to test in the real world so it doesn't have to be a matter of opinon. Get yourself a 5 dollar scale, get yourself a dumbell with removable plates of known weight. Measure that dumbell 10 times then strip off 5 pounds of weight and measure it another 10 times. The average change will be 5 pounds. An "accurate" scale won't do it any better and its not like you have to measure yourself daily 10 times its the multiple measurements over the course of time once per day that will wash out that error in the same way.

As for not "worrying" about filtering out the noise that pretends like you have some sort of "True" weight. You don't, your body is going to fluctate weight by a good 5 pounds on its own throughout the day and depending on the time of month or how much water you happen to be retaining. The only way to see your weight loss through that noise is repeated measurement anyway and that same repeated measurement will just as easily wipe out any error present in the scale itself with zero added effort.

This idea that you are a specific weight and you just need an accurate scale to see what that weight is is not panned out by reality.

Can we please not get into lecturing people? People may want a scale and have questions and different opinions about what they want scales. That's OK. This post was not intended to become a school lesson. I just asked about brands of scales. Plus never assume people don't know things or that one person know everything.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Instrument calibration is inconsequential to timecourses, any laboratory science course will show you that.

I'm not arguing with you over the rest of your post, because you're set in your opinion, but I have to take issue with this statement.

Maybe the science field you're in doesn't require calibrated instruments, but chemistry is another ballgame. Our instruments are constantly calibrated, as publishable data is often tested for reproducibility by other labs. Which, that could be why I prefer my own instruments (scales) to be as precise/accurate as possible, I suppose.
  • meunse01
    Options
    Your statement that the concept that scale error will evaporate over time in the trend is laughable is exactly the same as saying the idea that weight fluctuations due to variations in water retention that naturally occur in your body will evaporate over time in a trend is laughable. It isn't laughable, it's true. Presumably you are using scale weight to measure fat loss and that fat loss is obscured by variations in the same way be it from water retention or scale inaccuracy and in the same way neither matter if you continue your measurements over time. What do you not agree with....explain with math.

It doesn't matter if it measured 2 pounds "too much" one day and 5 pounds "too little" the next due to my scale or due to water retention from sodium intake....over the timescale of actual weightloss for every plus 2 there will be a minus two and for every minus five there will be a plus 5 and that noise will cancel. If that isnt the case you'd have to explain why there would be a specific bias in the error rather than just noise and good luck doing that. The exact same is true for bodyweight fluctuations due to water retention or do you not believe that either.

Instrument calibration is inconsequential to timecourses, any laboratory science course will show you that.

Also I never claimed to be saying anything about what YOU "need" I was advising the OP based on the fact (yes fact not opinion) that regular measurement over time will yield the same result on a 5 dollar scale as on a 200 scale.

How would my trend line look different if I had your scale instead of the one from Target? Would I become healthier? Would I "know" my weightloss in a way that was somehow more accurate? No...I wouldn't.

If you have disposible income and it makes you feel better to have an expensive scale and that feeling better helps you stay on track then by all means get one....but don't delude yourself into thinking you are somehow more accurately tracking your weightloss compared to someone with a cheap scale because you arent...not in reality. But you are right, to you as an individual what goes on in your head is more important than reality (not even being facetious I do believe that) but the math does not support your belief that your scale is somehow going to track your weightloss over time compared to any other.

If you want to lecture and debate. Please start your own post. I asked a simple question and you have made this about yourself and what you want to say, even being condescending to those who disagree. It's rude. I know you have been here longer than me, but some things just need to be said.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've had both, and I don't notice any inconsistencies. But, I also make sure it's balanced on zero. I can get on/off the scale multiple times and the readings are precise.

Which make/model did you buy? Can you provide a link?

Sure thing, here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Healthometer-402KL-Physician-Scale-Height/dp/B0009MFUZY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I bought mine 3 years ago, not 2 like I thought. I didn't realise it had been so long until I pulled up my order on Amazon.

Thanks!

I've seen that one but got turned off by the negative reviews which (after I looked agsin) seem to be mostly dated.

So, I'll give it some thought again.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm not arguing with you over the rest of your post, because you're set in your opinion, but I have to take issue with this statement.

Maybe the science field you're in doesn't require calibrated instruments, but chemistry is another ballgame. Our instruments are constantly calibrated, as publishable data is often tested for reproducibility by other labs. Which, that could be why I prefer my own instruments (scales) to be as precise/accurate as possible, I suppose.

There is a difference between measuring a scalar and measuring a trend...that was my point.

If scales measured the mass of fat in your body then accuracy would be relevant...but they don't...they measure your weight. The only way to get an idea of fat loss is multiple measurements over time regardless of how accurate the scale was...that is my point.

In a lab if you have an instrument that is measuring directly what you want to measure....ie you want 2 mg of powder and it's an analytical scale that measures weight then yes of course accuracy and calibration is important....but that isn't the analogy. You presumably care about fat loss but you are using an instrument that measures weight. The analogy would be a thermometer used to measure number of grams of product in a reaction because you know that over the course of the reaction the temperature will trend downwards and when it drops 15 degrees C you will have sufficient product. In that instance it doesn't matter if the thermometer is calibrated because it is the change over time you care about, not the individual scalar measurements...that is all I am saying.

If you are trying to track body fat loss with a scale that measures your weight the same principle applies...it doesn't matter if it's calibrated or "accurate" because it's the trend not the individual measure that matter. If you used the most accurate scale in the world and you measure your weight to be 170 then 2 weeks later to be 168 can you say you have legitimately lost 2 pounds in terms of actual fat loss? No...it still takes more measurements and establishment of a trend to do that. Perhaps you lost 2 pounds of fat....or perhaps you gained a pound of fat and that day was carrying 3 pounds less of water weight. Scale accuracy has no influence on that and regardless of your scales accuracy it will take repeated measures and measure of the trend over time to answer the question and the answe will come out the same if it's a 5 dollar scale or a 200 dollar scale...that was the point I was trying to make, perhaps poorly.

But you are right about one thing, we are talking past one another and I've annoyed the OP and this is their thread so I will apologize for any offense and cease posting here. I disagree with you on the importance of scalar accuracy when what you are trying to measure is a trend of something you arent directly measuring (fat loss vs weight) and not a scalar quantity.

If all you honestly care about is exactly how much you literally weigh (including water weight ) on a specific day then you are right, accuracy matters. I just couldn't fathom why you'd care about that. But if you do care about that then sure, spend a lot on a scale I guess.

Meunse01 sorry for derailing your post, just now you made it clear you didnt want me posting will stop posting now. It's your thread. I was trying to explain why scale accuracy want important for tracking fat loss but I took it to far.

Daniip_la I was disagreeing with your advice, not with you personally or what works for you. I apologize if it got heated to a point where you were angered or offended...wasn't the direction I wanted to go. You are absolutely right of course that only you can accurately comment on what you care about and what has helped you which ultimately all you were trying to share...so I am sorry.

Whether I am wrong in what I'm saying or not I was wrong to carry on as long as I did so I'll admit fault and back off. Apologies to you both.
  • meunse01
    Options

There is a difference between measuring a scalar and measuring a trend...that was my point.

If scales measured the mass of fat in your body then accuracy would be relevant...but they don't...they measure your weight. The only way to get an idea of fat loss is multiple measurements over time regardless of how accurate the scale was...that is my point.

In a lab if you have an instrument that is measuring directly what you want to measure....ie you want 2 mg of powder and it's an analytical scale that measures weight then yes of course accuracy and calibration is important....but that isn't the analogy. You presumably care about fat loss but you are using an instrument that measures weight. The analogy would be a thermometer used to measure number of grams of product in a reaction because you know that over the course of the reaction the temperature will trend downwards and when it drops 15 degrees C you will have sufficient product. In that instance it doesn't matter if the thermometer is calibrated because it is the change over time you care about, not the individual scalar measurements...that is all I am saying.

If you are trying to track body fat loss with a scale that measures your weight the same principle applies...it doesn't matter if it's calibrated or "accurate" because it's the trend not the individual measure that matter. If you used the most accurate scale in the world and you measure your weight to be 170 then 2 weeks later to be 168 can you say you have legitimately lost 2 pounds in terms of actual fat loss? No...it still takes more measurements and establishment of a trend to do that. Perhaps you lost 2 pounds of fat....or perhaps you gained a pound of fat and that day was carrying 3 pounds less of water weight. Scale accuracy has no influence on that and regardless of your scales accuracy it will take repeated measures and measure of the trend over time to answer the question and the answe will come out the same if it's a 5 dollar scale or a 200 dollar scale...that was the point I was trying to make, perhaps poorly.

But you are right about one thing, we are talking past one another and I've annoyed the OP and this is their thread so I will apologize for any offense and cease posting here. I disagree with you on the importance of scalar accuracy when what you are trying to measure is a trend of something you arent directly measuring (fat loss vs weight) and not a scalar quantity.

If all you honestly care about is exactly how much you literally weigh (including water weight ) on a specific day then you are right, accuracy matters. I just couldn't fathom why you'd care about that. But if you do care about that then sure, spend a lot on a scale I guess.

Meunse01 sorry for derailing your post, just now you made it clear you didnt want me posting will stop posting now. It's your thread. I was trying to explain why scale accuracy want important for tracking fat loss but I took it to far.

Daniip_la I was disagreeing with your advice, not with you personally or what works for you. I apologize if it got heated to a point where you were angered or offended...wasn't the direction I wanted to go. You are absolutely right of course that only you can accurately comment on what you care about and what has helped you which ultimately all you were trying to share...so I am sorry.

Whether I am wrong in what I'm saying or not I was wrong to carry on as long as I did so I'll admit fault and back off. Apologies to you both.

Thank you. Your explanations can sound like your talking down to people or that you are the expert and everyone else has no valid information to offer. It's not easy to tell online. Just some info. :)
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 different weight watchers scales and was not happy with either one. My dietitian recommended Tanita as I wanted to be able to measure fat and muscle as well as weight. The body com scales are not cheap but if you want that type of info they are great. My body fat reading was almost the same a the results from a DEXA, but the weight watchers scale was about 10% out.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    meunse01 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Could anyone recommend a good/reliable/accurate body weight scale? 

Hi OP, I am very happy with my Tanita, model is HD-662. I had it for about 2 years. Don't remember the exact price but i think it was within your budget when i bought it. Accurate scale is important to me as well so I totally see what you mean...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I found price didn't give better accuracy!
    I took along my two bathroom scales to a sports science lab so I could compare them to their properly calibrated scales.
    My £20 glass plate digital scales (John Lewis) were accurate, my £80 ones (Omron) were 2lbs off.

Both gave consistent readings by the way. I've not had any digital scales that had the problem yours are showing.

Would suggest just pick ones you like the look off and if you find they can't repeatedly give you virtually the same number stepping on and off simply send them back (as not fit for purpose) and try another brand or model.

Make sure the surface they are on is firm and even of course.