finally figured out the best way to zig zag calories on mfp

Options
Ok so I have been trying ways to zig zag calories to help me break this plateau, problem is MFP doesn't have a way to set up zig zag goals. The easiest way to do it is to go to freedieting.com they have a zigzag calcluator, figure out the estimate of calories a day you want and then plug that into their zigzag calculator, it will give you a different calorie goal daily for monday - sunday. Then the easiest way to do it on MFP is to go in every day and change your calorie goal, go under goals, customize and then type in the calorie amount for that day. That way if you exercise and earn more calories, carbs, protein and fat it will do the calculations for you. It's really easy just to go in there and change the calorie goal, much much easier that what I was doing (back to 9th grade math). Hope this helps you guys that wanna zigzag your cals.

Replies

• sethwdyer
    sethwdyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Could you link the calculator you mentioned?
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Does zig zagging really work even if you aren't in a plateau? Thanks for the info.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'll have to try that with MFP. I have been looking at that website for calorie suggestions for zig zagging, and have been thinking about seriously starting it next week! Thanks!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    go to freedieting.com on the left side go under calculators and they have a few different ones, click the one you want and off you go :)

Zigzagging works to both break and prevent plateaus from happening by keeping your body guessing.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

After you fill out the info - there will be a link to show you a zig zag suggestion...

I'll tell you though, I don't agree with their calculator itself - so I'll use the example with the base from MFP :)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the "extreme fat loss" goals, they seem too low! But I like the "Fat loss" goals in that calculator, and may use this if I hit a plateau. Thanks for sharing!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the "extreme fat loss" goals, they seem too low! But I like the "Fat loss" goals in that calculator, and may use this if I hit a plateau. Thanks for sharing!

I went between the regular fat loss goals and the extreme fat loss goals by subtracting the larger calorie form the smaller calorie and dividing that number by 2 then adding it back to the smaller calorie putting me halfway between them both. It put me at a estimated daily goal of 1460 which I was going to go with on MFP, I was going from 1200 up to 1460 because I am close to my goal now. Probably why I've hit this plateau, hence the zigzagging. I hope this works!!
  • darconnor
    darconnor Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Please let us know your results!
  • Tyler477
    Tyler477 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that can;t find where to enter in your calorie goals DAILY on MFP??? PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!
  • nanegan
    nanegan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    "That way if you exercise and earn more calories, carbs, protein and fat it will do the calculations for you"

With zigzag dieting, you aren't supposed to add in any exercise calories. I have my base calories from MFP and just add in my zigzag calories by placing them under exercise (i just add how many extra I get for the day) and I add a "zigzag" food for the amount I need to deduct on my lower days.