What am I doing wrong?

Options
jmlew1
jmlew1 Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello
I started a fitness program that includes cardio and weightlifting about 6 weeks ago. I do 20-30 minutes of elliptical before lifting. Tuesday and hump day I have spin classes which are 45-60 min. Weightlifting I do on Mon, Wed, Friday and I just added Saturday's last week. I wanted to tone up and overcome my plateau. I started at 138, however, the scale is up to 142. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? I am meal prepping and following a clean eating diet.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's normal to see an increase on the scale due to water retention, when you start a new exercise program-especially if it includes strength training. That said, it's been 6 weeks. You should have seen a loss by now. Have you been logging your food and being sure to stay in a deficit?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories? If not, start now. If you have been, then you'll most likely need to tighten up your logging.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    In afdition to counting calories carefully, also take measurements. Are you in a calorie deficit it are you trying to add muscle?
  • RebecaSilva21
    RebecaSilva21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't say much... take measurement because of what they said before - water retention specially on woman and also that your muscles get bigger but you still shrink..... not sure if it makes sense.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your calories, weighing your food, and eating at a deficit? If no, then that's what you're doing wrong. Clean eating means nothing if you're in a surplus
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of factors involved. Upping weights and/or reps can cause your muscles to become inflamed and create a slight, but temporary, weight gain. Menstrual cycles, not being diligent about food tracking, over estimating how many calories you're burning during a workout, etc. I highly recommend using a digital food scale and weighing food by the grams for accuracy.
  • GeoFan49
    GeoFan49 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's possible to lose fat yet maintain the same weight on the scale. There are fitness experts who can tell you how to measure body fat. Successful fat loss is the goal, forget about the weight on the scale. Skin fold measurements, underwater weighing, or DEXA body scan can measure fat loss. Some people get an official test every three or four months to measure their progress and make appropriate adjustments in their plans. How your clothes fit is also a good test.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Either eating more than you think or thinking you burn more than you are is usually the culprit.
  • jmlew1
    jmlew1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Today I'm going to start weighing and measuring my food again and go from there.