Does water retention make you "bigger"?

Options
I'm curious because I feel bigger than my actual weight...

Replies

• KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It can make you look and feel bloated for a short time. Sodium is also a culprit for this.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It can, if you retain water in your muscles after a workout you get tend to look much bulkier (pumped look) than you normally do.
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    Yes. You will notice that your clothing is noticeably tighter and it will definitely affect your scale weight. Water is heavy.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    mom moms kidneys just failed and they diaized 35 liters of fluid out of her and she lost about 100lbs in a week, so i would say YEAH! lol..thats extreme and moms doing better but your question just hit me funny at this crazy time..good luck!!
    ps
    I feel HUGE when Im retaining water!
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes water retention makes you look and feel big. I retain alot of water so I cut down some on drinking a whole lot of water and I try and watch my salt intake as well.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    short answer, yes.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Yes water retention makes you look and feel big. I retain alot of water so I cut down some on drinking a whole lot of water and I try and watch my salt intake as well.

Actually the more water you drink, the less water you retain.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference on the scale...that's why I choose to monitor my sodium with my food intake. I've noticed a lot of people don't do that and wonder why they are having trouble losing weight....It may not even be the calorie intake, it may also be the huge amounts of sodium their body is retaining...
  • reenakainth
    Options
    i retain alot of water...my weight is affected up to 3kg sometimes...whats teh best way to reduce water retention?

I am always bloated as well i think thats down to my IBS but i dont add salt to anything i eat so not sure what to do ?
  • erickirb
    Options
    i retain alot of water...my weight is affected up to 3kg sometimes...whats teh best way to reduce water retention?

I am always bloated as well i think thats down to my IBS but i dont add salt to anything i eat so not sure what to do ?

best way to reduce water retention is to drink more water, and to lower your sodium intake (1500 mgs is the recommended amount, the 2500 on MFP should be seen as a maximum)