Enough Energy to workout

Options
Damico1971
Damico1971 Posts: 14 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have low iron sometimes I do not have the energy needed to workout. Are energy drinks safe and low calorie? What else can I do besides eating steak all the time? I am taking iron pills. What can give me energy for a workout? Add me.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Steak is protein. You need carbs too. Try an apple or banana an hour before workout.
  • jayhelm078
    jayhelm078 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes also work.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've found that in cases of low energy, something is better than nothing. Don't feel like you need to do an intense hour-long workout for it to matter and if you can't, it's not worth bothering at all. If the only thing you're up for is a five-minute walk, then do those five minutes and stop. Ten jumping jacks, five push-ups, it's little things, but that's still more than nothing. You might also find that your energy improves the more you work out, or that your stamina gets better. Just keep trying!
  • VanderbiltPersonalTraining
    Options
    First of you need to resolve any nutrient defficiencys you have. A possible contributing factor to this can be your diet is too low in cal. And you will feel tired and run down just for being in a caloric deficit for too long.
  • Damico1971
    Options
    Thanks @Saaski & @JashuaBarnabis and the others who posted replies all great ideas and comments.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can get more out of your iron pills by taking them strategically. Don't take with calcium or any dairy. Take with a citrus juice or vitamin C.

Carbs are great for a short energy burst, like twenty minutes before your workout. It doesn't have to be a lot. A couple oatmeal cookies would do it.
  • Damico1971
    Options
    I do take my iron pills with vit. C but I didn't know about the calcium. I'll try a rice cake twenty minutes before. Thanks so much @jgnatca very helpful.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee before a workout generally helps. I also drink alot of those zero calorie energy drinks...but my understanding is they're not very good for you, so I won't advocate them. :tongue:
  • yogarocky
    yogarocky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I eat a teaspoon of coconut oil before heading to the gym. It sounds gross, but I've gotten completely accustomed to the taste (and I've tried sooooo many different brands of coconut oil - some are better than others, so I don't recommend skimping on price). I've been a fitness competitor for 6 years and just started doing this about 7 months ago in place of carbs prior to a workout...what a difference!!!! I used to burn through my carbs and bonk halfway through my workout. Now I'm able to sustain my energy levels throughout the entire workout, and even after! As I stated before, everyone is different, but I wanted to share what has worked specifically for me just in case it may help someone else.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A preworkout, cup of coffee, or caffeine pills can give you that extra oomph to get going at the gym.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Also, Nature's Sunshine makes an herbal blend called IX which doesn't have iron, but has herbs that will assist your body in absorbing the iron you are already consuming.