what foods should I be eating if I want healthy fats?

Options
Hi All, if I want to eat more foods that are classed as healthy fats what should i be eating? More eggs, nuts but what else?? Thanks

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Typically "healthy fats" refers to foods like fatty fish (for the omega-3s), nuts and seeds, avocado, olives (and olive oil). Here's a discussion: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2012/06/21/ask-the-expert-healthy-fats/
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    coconut oil is also a good one.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Salmon, tuna, flaxseed, nuts, olive and coconut oil are some of the foods you can add to your diet.
  • TinaBina90
    TinaBina90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Healthy Fats: grass-fed butter, coconut oil, red palm oil, any grass fed meat fats, avocados, extra virgin olive oil (low smoke point, so keep at a lower heat), pastured eggs, mct oil, coconut cream, organic/grassfed dairy, fatty wild caught fish. Things to avoid: the highly processed vegetable and seed oils (canola, soybean, cottonseed, etc) these fats are highly inflammatory (high Omega 6 content). http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/the-skinny-on-fats/
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    lard
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot by restricting food choices and stressing with hipster food rules. Variety is important to get in the range of nutrition we need, avoid boredom with diet (if you are aiming to lose weight, this will be devastating), and prevent developing allergies. Avoid trans fats and overheated fat - this means deep fried foods, burnt food, margarine and junk food should be eaten only rarely (I even suggest avoiding burnt foods completely). Everything else can be eaten in moderate amounts: fatty meat (eat edible skin/fat; save drippings for cooking and sandwiches) and fish, nuts and seeds, full fat dairy, butter, oils; fatty fruit/vegs like olives and avocados.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I thought I saw 'coconut oil' in the list of things that people think are good for you but nutritionists don't agree with?

Anyway.. salmon, nuts, olive oil, avocado.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Typically "healthy fats" refers to foods like fatty fish (for the omega-3s), nuts and seeds, avocado, olives (and olive oil). Here's a discussion: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2012/06/21/ask-the-expert-healthy-fats/

This right here is how most dieticians and nutrition scientists would answer the question. This is usually what is meant by the phrase "healthy fats".

Edited: that doesn't mean that all other fats are bad or unhealthy, just that they don't have data showing a correlation between them and improved/good health that these "healthy fats" do.