Low weight high rep is a killer?

Options
So I decided to change my workout style, Previously I had been lifting to build strength with high weight low rep, well the strength came but the muscle didn't so decided to switch it up.

Today

Bench Press 12 rep x 5 sets
Ez Bar Tricep Extensions 12 x 5
Dumbbell Hammer Curls 12 x 5

Firstly I almost had to half the weight I was previously lifting, first set a breeze but by the time I got to set 5 my muscles were burning and my arms etc like jelly. To be honest I never experienced anything like this lifting low rep high weight, also never broke a sweat, today the sweat was running off me.

If I'm honest I'm not so sure I like high rep, it takes to long and 5 sets is a PITA but this is supposedly the hypertrophy range, I certainly feel like I had a better workout today.

Whats your thoughts on this style of workout?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    enjoy the pump I guess
  • LazSommer
    Options
    also what were you lifting that was heavy and what's your height and weight?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    12 reps isn't really "light" weight. That's a standard hypertrophic rep range.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Bench press was 120lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets
    EZ Bar was 77lbs x 5 x 3
    Hammer Curls were 44 x 5 x 3

Today they dropped to

BP = 85LBS
    EZ = 44LBS
    HC = 27.5LBS

I am 6ft / 175 or so
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    12 reps isn't really "light" weight. That's a standard hypertrophic rep range.
    THIS. I was thinking like 20 reps or more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

EZ Bar was 77lbs x 5 x 3

Today they dropped to

BP = 85LBS
    EZ = 44LBS
    HC = 27.5LBS

I am 6ft / 175 or so
    Basically you have no muscular endurance and are now feeling it with increased repetitions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If Your Goal Is To Add Muscle, The Higher Reps Ranges Are Ideal, Although You Wont Gain Much Muscle Unless Youre Eating Enough As Well..
  • LazSommer
    Options

EZ Bar was 77lbs x 5 x 3

Today they dropped to

BP = 85LBS
    EZ = 44LBS
    HC = 27.5LBS

I am 6ft / 175 or so

What are your other lifts? I mean you can get hypertrophy with lower weights but in the long run I think you'd be better served getting on a normal beginner program and getting your strength up . 12 reps at 85 lbs isn't going to send you to swole town for your chest
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    How did it take too long? I would've completed all 15 sets in less than 25 minutes. Super set the Ez bar ext with the hammer curls and you'll cut your time in half. The burn and pump is by far the best part about training for hypertrophy. Especially the cramping when your mind muscle connection is great that day. Learn to love it!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

EZ Bar was 77lbs x 5 x 3

Today they dropped to

BP = 85LBS
    EZ = 44LBS
    HC = 27.5LBS

I am 6ft / 175 or so
    Basically you have no muscular endurance and are now feeling it with increased repetitions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Exactly.
    Every once in a while I switch to the higher rep ranges and it takes me weeks to get used to the extra volume.
    Hopefully you are in a slight calorie surplus? Otherwise you might just be spinning your wheels trying to add muscle.
  • jessef593
    Options

EZ Bar was 77lbs x 5 x 3

Today they dropped to

BP = 85LBS
    EZ = 44LBS
    HC = 27.5LBS

I am 6ft / 175 or so

You were doing this exact same workout when training for strength? You should do a close grip bench press or a Tate press if you were looking for tricep strength. And more so a barbell curl for strength or at least seated hammer curls so you're not swinging as much

• jessef593
    Options
    Are you doing any back, traps, shoulders, legs, forearms, and ab work as well?
  • LazSommer
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

curls for the girls fam
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options

That was 1 work out, I have it spread out over 6 days. 3 exercises per day usually
  • LazSommer
    Options

That was 1 work out, I have it spread out over 6 days. 3 exercises per day usually

nooooooooo
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

EZ Bar was 77lbs x 5 x 3

Today they dropped to

BP = 85LBS
    EZ = 44LBS
    HC = 27.5LBS

I am 6ft / 175 or so

What are your other lifts? I mean you can get hypertrophy with lower weights but in the long run I think you'd be better served getting on a normal beginner program and getting your strength up . 12 reps at 85 lbs isn't going to send you to swole town for your chest

+1

You could stay in the hypertrophy range of reps if you want by using All Pro's beginner program instead of something along the lines of Starting Strength. Personally, I like that fewer reps gets me out the door quicker, but I also appreciate that I made more strength gains using All Pro because I'm more likely to push myself with a few more reps and a bit lower weight.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So, you changed your routine? Get on a program. Stick with the program. See results.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    12 reps is high reps?

Noooooo wayyyyyyy duuuuuuude ....that's my standard rep range ...Imma gonna have a word with trainer if 12 is high reps and he's got me loading heavy for me
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This is confusing. It seems that usually people talk about 3-5 reps being low rep, so what is 12 reps if it's not high rep?
    How is 12 reps heavy loading if heavy lifting is max you can lift for 3-5 reps?
    What is the difference between hypertrophy and building muscle?
    If you want to build strength but not so concerned about "size" or bulk, how many reps should you be doing?
    Sorry for the questions and I don't mean to highjack the thread. Just trying to make sense of what is being said.

3-5 is for strength. 8-12 is for growth. 15+ is for endurance.

Of course they all intertwine and it's not that black and white, but that's the general rule.